Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

In their update, they announced they are going to do Timeline 1996 with Raven. Which is a bit disappointing - Raven's certainly a good choice in the abstract, but we've all seen him talk about his ECW run ad nauseam.

Also, they are doing a Breaking Kayfabe with Sabu.

And Raven has talked at length about how shitty his memory is from those days . . . .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the wrestler is interesting to listen to, and knows how to tell the story with some flow, it's a good thing. I watched the Sabu timeline last week and I found his storytelling ability to be lacking in comparision to most of the others I've watched, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as a result.

I wish, wish WISH that the Timeline concept had been around when more AWA guys were alive or able to talk about stuff as presented in these shoots. Too late for most of them. Going back to listen or watch the other guys do them (which I do for dvd projects or reference points on occasion when I'm working on AWA stuff) is the shits since KC came along.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-dr-d-david-schultz-shoot-interview/#.VK_uNXvic4I

David Schultz covers kicking the a lot of people's butts - fans, wrestlers and criminals alike! Plus Jerry Lawler being a wimp, slapping 20/20's John Stossel, Hogan and Heenan being stooges, being blackballed from wrestling and much much more! Several promos are also linked that wouldn't even come close to making TV in this day and age.

If the wrestler is interesting to listen to, and knows how to tell the story with some flow, it's a good thing. I watched the Sabu timeline last week and I found his storytelling ability to be lacking in comparision to most of the others I've watched, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as a result.

I wish, wish WISH that the Timeline concept had been around when more AWA guys were alive or able to talk about stuff as presented in these shoots. Too late for most of them. Going back to listen or watch the other guys do them (which I do for dvd projects or reference points on occasion when I'm working on AWA stuff) is the shits since KC came along.

Yeah, I just can't take Feinstein anymore in particular. In an age of podcasts and quality shoots... he's unbearable.

It seems to me that there could potentially be a few possibilities. KC has worked with Martel, Zybyszko, Animal, Greg Gagne, and Janetty. Unless travel is a big issue, then I don't see why they couldn't do something with the Clawmaster.

In their update, they announced they are going to do Timeline 1996 with Raven. Which is a bit disappointing - Raven's certainly a good choice in the abstract, but we've all seen him talk about his ECW run ad nauseam.

And Raven has talked at length about how shitty his memory is from those days . . . .

Would it have been better to get Dreamer or Taz?

Would it have been better to get Dreamer or Taz?

YES - those guys would have been great and also would have been fresh interviews. But who knows what they were asking for in terms of price, whether they even want to do shoots (Taz has his own podcast, for example), etc.

It seems to me that there could potentially be a few possibilities. KC has worked with Martel, Zybyszko, Animal, Greg Gagne, and Janetty. Unless travel is a big issue, then I don't see why they couldn't do something with the Clawmaster.

Yeah, I'd be curious to know if they think an AWA TImeline would make them some money. They haven't really delved into areas like the AWA or some of the older Territories, have they? The more niche areas might be challenging in that regard.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-the-tully-blanchard-and-baby-doll-reunion/#.VLnCl3uoBxU

Tully and Baby Doll cover growing up in the business, why Baby Doll was picked lto be Tully's valet, fans attacking the heels, Dusty's jealousy, the big feuds, JCP's downfall, life after wrestling and much more!

With 70's WWWF ones you would need someone that was a staple of the area to give insight into a whole year, and that would probably disqualify a lot of the heels that came in and out most years to challenge Bruno.

Just guessing without cross-referencing, mind you, perhaps a few of the heels that challenged Bruno actually stuck around for a full year with their "Before Bruno and After Bruno" portions tacked on.

RVD is long-winded (yeah, I wasn't expected that) and certainly loves to talk about him wanting to "show-off". Still, after a while, it does gets interesting in how he portrays Heyman and some of the ECW crew (Candido for instance). His views on pro-wrestling totally explain why he works the way he does, and in a way it's kinda refreshing although I really can't stand his style at this point. He doesn't tell a lot of insighful stories, but I admit the bit about his "argument" with Tajiri in WWF is really funny, and the dry way RVD tells makes it all the better. As expected, he puts Sabu over big time, which is nice since Sabu puts over RVD all the time too, so you get the feel there's a deep friendship there. Decent episode overall.

RVD is long-winded (yeah, I wasn't expected that) and certainly loves to talk about him wanting to "show-off". Still, after a while, it does gets interesting in how he portrays Heyman and some of the ECW crew (Candido for instance). His views on pro-wrestling totally explain why he works the way he does, and in a way it's kinda refreshing although I really can't stand his style at this point. He doesn't tell a lot of insighful stories, but I admit the bit about his "argument" with Tajiri in WWF is really funny, and the dry way RVD tells makes it all the better. As expected, he puts Sabu over big time, which is nice since Sabu puts over RVD all the time too, so you get the feel there's a deep friendship there. Decent episode overall.

I like RVD the person a lot. Seems like the coolest dude ever.

His story about Sid had me dying laughing. "You see him and you just wanna shit your pants!!!"

I thought he made a lot of good points, like how he learned to wrestle before doing the the stuff with chairs and tables, and talking about looking back at some of the risk that he took. But, he just seemed so in the dark about a lot of the stuff that Sean brought up, which, by his own admission, is because he was in the parking lot with Sabu and not part of Paul's inner circle.

It was a good point, but revealed more about his ego than anything since that knowledge has rarely made any difference because RVD matches are about "showing off" and not "telling a story." Think that's the first time I've heard someone blow off tag wrestling, too because ah jeez, you gotta stand there on the apron.

Also weird to hear that a lot people hold the Hayabusa/Shinzaki PPV tag in high regard since it's such an awkward match of miscues and table malfunctions. I remember them having much better spotfests with The Eliminators a few years before that.

This was almost but not quite as bad as the last New Jack timeline for not being able to remembering anything well at all. He does great impersonations though.

I dont mind RVD doing a timeline but I feel that 1999 was the wrong person to choose as I dont recall him being there the full year as he was injured wasent he when he broke his leg?

It's the year he had all the matches with Jerry Lynn on PPV though. And when ECW PPV was like available all over the country.

Guilty as Charged - RVD Vs. Lance Storm

Living Dangerously - RVD Vs. Jerry Lynn

Hardcore Heaven - RVD Vs. Jerry Lynn

Heatwave - RVD & Lynn Vs. Impact Players

Anarchy Rules - RVD Vs. Balls Mahoney in the main event for some reason

November to Remember - RVD Vs. Taz

He literally wrestled and won on every PPV ECW had in that year. Van Dam broke his ankle in Jan' 00.