Pro Wrestling Only

PlacetoBeNation.com

I listened to the show again, in full this time, and this guy came in with an axe to grind. Will was a pro through and through. Lumping in Will and PWO with the "predictable" we hate everything internet crowd was embarassing. PWO is predictable?How many podcasts does this guy have about Portland? The Freebirds? Jerry Lawler? Predictable? Give me a break. I know we've had discussions about not lumping in PWO as a singular mind, but in this case I think it needs to be said. Dude took shots at this entire board. I back Parv 100% on this.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything I think this board has a broader range of opinions than most. A lot of boards are either angst driven or very basic when it comes to knowledge. Here I find a lot of people with a wide range of taste and knowledge. When he lumped all of us as being negative it came off silly. If someone challenges the mush that is fed to you, it doesn't make them negative. He's a guy that drinks the kool aid double fisted. When he said the Sting/Triple H match couldn't be bad I almost thought he was being paid. I think we all want it to be good but to say its impossible to be bad it comes off as him hearing the WWE say its going to be huge and then taking that as gospel

To be slightly fair, he is a good IRL friend of one of the panelist since he, Ben, started at Marvel Comics. In other words, his appearance is probably not as random as those ripping him seem to be.

I think he may be taking a comics based approach, where yes a series of good to great stories can elevate a character from one status to another (and vice versa if written poorly). I mean look at Aquaman since 2011!

On top of that, comics is an industry (including a lot of the fans themselves) rife with those that think their internet fan base has a negative hive mentality that should "let it go, and enjoy what you like without tearing down what you don't like."

I also think you guys are taking it a bit too hard here, which is why he went off like that. Yeah its not an approach that is the norm in a lot of circles, but I don't think it was as outright insulting as this thread is making it seem.

Just to add, I think Audbrey also was thrown off and went on defensive mode for the show right from the start. I mean he did seem taken aback after Scott did the bit about jumping off bridges, and then seemed to run down The Bushwackers (as The Bushwackers), along with The Bellas and the idea of Hogan inducting Savage (which was never brought back up). So he probably was thinking that his opinions were going to be "controversial" in terms of how the show was going to go.

Granted Ben and Andrew backed him up often, but I can see how he thought from the start it was going to be a point-counter point type of show with him against Scott and Will from the start.

I usually enjoy the Main Event so I tried to get through this. But I had to tap out after 45 minutes. The point that the crowd not caring about Reigns is irrelevant because WWE says he is a star was just too much.

BTW, this is a perfect example of the comics creator (really, any serialized fiction from the creative standpoint) mentality I mentioned. "HERE IS MY CHARACTER, I WILL RAM HIM/HER DOWN YOUR THROAT UNTIL YOU FINALLY ACCEPT HIM/HER OR I QUIT THIS JOB! AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN WATCH/READ SOMETHING ELSE, STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT!" And very rarely will you see a course correction. I mean, it does happen, but not as often as fans would like, and usually once the creator of the character is off the book/show/franchise/whatever. Sometimes the "Mary Sue" (term for pet character) can be rehabilitated with the right writers, etc, sometimes though they do fade into obscurity.

The notion that the company, show, writer, etc will dictate the popularity of a character, and it doesn't matter (a little irony there as I'm thinking of the Rocky Miavia/The Rock transformation) what the initial fan reaction is not just a pro wrestling thing.

To be slightly fair, he is a good IRL friend of one of the panelist since he, Ben, started at Marvel Comics. In other words, his appearance is probably not as random as those ripping him seem to be.

I think he may be taking a comics based approach, where yes a series of good to great stories can elevate a character from one status to another (and vice versa if written poorly). I mean look at Aquaman since 2011!

On top of that, comics is an industry (including a lot of the fans themselves) rife with those that think their internet fan base has a negative hive mentality that should "let it go, and enjoy what you like without tearing down what you don't like."

I also think you guys are taking it a bit too hard here, which is why he went off like that. Yeah its not an approach that is the norm in a lot of circles, but I don't think it was as outright insulting as this thread is making it seem.

This is interesting and gives a lot of insight into the situation. I have been on the Main Event pod before and we disagree but i think the thing that took me off guard was the interruptions early on. Midway through, I was being just as rude and contentious.

I listened to the show and even though I don't agree with Will's opinions on certain things in wrestling, I was shock how Aubery was caping up for the WWE has been booked and ran a couple times to the argument saying "Well, Will, you know it's fake right."

Will said it beautifully when he said that this is entertainment that should make me suspend my disbelief and that's what it should be. If the "fake" argument holds weight, then the comic book industry wouldn't be alive, wrestling wouldn't alive, fiction books along with TV shows and movies wouldn't be alive today.

Just to add, I think Audbrey also was thrown off and went on defensive mode for the show right from the start. I mean he did seem taken aback after Scott did the bit about jumping off bridges, and then seemed to run down The Bushwackers (as The Bushwackers), along with The Bellas and the idea of Hogan inducting Savage (which was never brought back up). So he probably was thinking that his opinions were going to be "controversial" in terms of how the show was going to go.

Granted Ben and Andrew backed him up often, but I can see how he thought from the start it was going to be a point-counter point type of show with him against Scott and Will from the start.

No, I don't buy that. If you're going to be on a show, do your homework, know what you're getting involved with. Don't assume that the guys on the other end of the line are whatever strawman figures you've just made up for yourself. And most of all, don't behave like a total twat in the process. But y'know, just my take.

Oh I didn't know that both him and Will were subbing. My point really is that he seemed to come in with a preexisting agenda and set of assumptions and a set of already-written conclusions and counter-arguments. And he was just in there with the wrong guy to do that with.

I have since seen that he's got his head so far up his own arse that none of this really matters because he'll never see outside of his bubble anyway, but I don't see any of this as an excuse for what I consider to be bad behaviour and bad form. I've done so many shows with so many different people now, that I might have an over-acute sense of what a difficult personality can be like. But Will is the easiest guy in the world to do a show with, and it kind of really bugged me to see him treated like that by this smug guy.

Agree with Brad though to draw a line under it and move on.

• 3 weeks later...