• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post this, episode 2 of "The Sprouts":

http://placetobenation.com/the-sprouts-2-m-suspiria-fahrenheit-911/

1h9CEqF.jpg

Adam, Dan and Parv take a look at three more cinematic sprouts:

Parv’s Pick (sprout): M (Fritz Lang, 1931)

Adam’s Pick (mainstream): Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977)

Dan’s Pick (free): Fahreinheit 9/11 (Michael Moore, 2004)

Follow on twitter: @sproutspodcast

Now on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-sprouts/id959936587?mt=2

---------

We have had some good feedback from reddit and elsewhere. Sound quality improved for this ep.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's episode 4:

y0NklmJ.png

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/the-sprouts-4-come-and-see-la-confidential-im-alright-jack_40048

More cinematic nutrition with Adam, Dan and Parv.

Adam's Pick (sprout): Come and See (Elim Klimov, 1985)

Dan's Pick (mainstream): LA Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)

Parv's Pick (free): I'm Alright Jack (John Boulting, 1959)

New project started up today where a collection of guys present alternative WrestleMania cards. I know we have some guys here (Boricua and Mick) that enjoy this type of thing. The restrictions set here are pretty complicated and force the "bookers" to think outside the box at points.

http://placetobenation.com/the-great-wrestlemania-re-book-wrestlemania/

You're right, I have been enjoying these so far. I have to say you guys are nuts (in a good way!) to follow those rules, particularly "can't use any of the matches that really occurred". It does force you to be creative, particularly at WrestleManias where certain matches are just so iconic and do not have an obvious alternative (like WrestleMania 3).

Looking ahead, 8 and 9 should be easier ones to do, while 10 is one of the harder ones to do following the rules. Great job by everyone involved and I look forward to seeing future installments.

• 3 weeks later...

In this month’s PTBN Rewind series installment, Justin Rozzero is joined by Kevin Kelly, Ben Morse and Roger Morrissette to relive WrestleMania 13. Is it truly a one match show? Is the Submission Match the greatest match in WrestleMania history? Was Rocky Maivia booked liked a pussy? Did Shawn Michaels add to or detract from the main event? Did someone almost die in Street Fight? The boys answer these questions and many, many more, so turn up the heat and tune in to March’s PTBN Rewind Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/ptbns-main-event-episode-30-wrestlemania-31-preview/

In one of the most electric episodes in history, join Scott with Ben Morse, Andrew Riche, Will H from PWO and debuting guest Aubrey Sitterson as they preview WrestleMania Sunday. Join us for a unique roundtable discussion on the show and what the results would mean for WWE’s future. So sit back and enjoy the fireworks in the latest edition of the Main Event!

Editor’s note: there is an audio glitch about six minutes in where the intro repeats – stick with the show, it continues. We’re working to correct.

RocketCrypt in Good Will Wrestling Thread Said:

Loving the shows so far. About to dive in to the Starrcade one shortly.

I don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but I just finished listening to Will's appearance on the Place to be Nation's The Main Event show, and I don't think I've ever found myself shaking my head in disagreement as much when listening to a podcast. As well as coming across as being genuinely unlikable, the dude who spent the majority of the show at odds with Will appeared to have a completely opposite philosophy on wrestling to myself. Whether it was towing the WWE company line, or just being sucked in by their rhetoric, I got the impression he could easily be on their payroll. I think it was mentioned that he used to be employed by them at one point or another. If it wasn't for a couple of the other guests and the host holding it together, I would have had to tap out after five minutes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else felt a similar way.

Soup Response: I couldn't agree more. Will made his age argument which I don't like. I am 28 years old and may not have been around during the peak of the territory days but have went back with a revisionist eye and judged my footage as we all have. Age is something that can't be changed, however that doesn't disqualify an opinion. Besides that, I agreed with Will's points and didn't understand the notion of "It's Scripted" as a defense. I also thought some of the other blanket statements like Bushwhackers being the equivalent of Daniel Bryan, Cena being bigger than Austin, Hogan, etc, HHH having great matches since hes been back including the WM 29 match (I also was in attendance for and it sucked ass), and that there is no way HHH vs. Sting will be a bad match were thrown out there with not much basis and in the case of the Cena one, empirical evidence suggesting otherwise. I have commended Scott publicly for letting the guys get out their points and stepping in when he needed to as a host. The episode was certainly lively and really displays the spectrum of opinions more than even the Royal Rumble reaction show might have.

You are right about the age argument to an extent. I went to the well one too many times with that one. Really, it is about exposure to wrestling, not age but I was kind of shell shocked by the opinions being presented and wasn't prepared to go against pro-Russo thinking. If WWE or the Monday Night Wars is the only wrestling you have been exposed to or all that matters in your world, maybe you do believe that Sting has all of these legendary matches in the can. Maybe you do believe that HHH is a ring general. Maybe you believe the Bushwhackers are a worldwide phenomenon that were in the bush leagues before hitting the big time. Not one person on the show responded when I told them they needed to seek out old Fujinami. On this board, or on a show with my crew, I can do entire shows on Fujinami and nobody would blink an eye. It's good to venture out and I like talking to Scott so no sweat off my back.

The age response for the point I disagree with is the idea that wins and losses don't matter. This is a pro-Russo viewpoint that really has only been in vogue in the internet era. I haven't seen anybody, save for maybe Johnny Sorrow, over the age of 35 ever say that wins and losses don't matter. The other exceptions would be people that were in the business and use it as an excuse for bad booking.

I agree that the exposure means more than the actual age and also fully understand some things have a time and place stamp to them, ECW to me is the biggest example. The Fujinami claim that he is bigger than Savage sounds ridiculous on the surface level but just analyzing their drawing in their respective companies, it is an arguable point.

All the Fujinami podcasts in the world can't make up for that Yeti-sized Brainbuster choke job, Will!

Alright... book it Johnny! Me and Bigelow34 JR on a future Brainbuster. I'll work around JR's schedule.

I will never, ever compete against my hero like this. Sorry.

I will kick your leg out from under your leg.

I will burn you alive and force you to wear a mask

I will slam the door on your head as you walk out of the cage

I will throw hair cream into your eyes so you can't see your kid being born

I will slash all 4 of your tires

I am not Johnny Sorrow. Not old enough to be your daddy but you can call me daddy.