Pro Wrestling Only

Most common lies in shoot interviews

El-P

My favourite of all wrestling lies is Manny Fernandez's claim that his match vs. Abdullah was primarily responsible for selling out The Omni for Starrcade 85.

A newcomer though is Don Kernodle's "There were 20,000 people who couldn't get in" claim for the Final Conflict.

Most common: "I created hardcore wrestling"

I can't think of any WWF house shows JYD-Race headlined, unless you want to count the 6 man elimination matches.

I have a broader question, do wrestlers do this out of massive insecurity or simply because they've lived a carnival lifestyle for so long they have no idea where the lies begin and reality ends?

I mean someone like Hogan who constantly exaggerates his deeds. Which would be fine and good if he were say Sam Houston and had a massive insecurity complex. But he's arguably the most famous wrestler of all time, why the hell does he find the need to add a few hundred pounds to Andre's weight for instance? Does he even know he's lying anymore? And if not, does that make the shoot interview, for all its BS, the best insight into the mind of a wrestler we are ever likely to get.

But he's arguably the most famous wrestler of all time, why the hell does he find the need to add a few hundred pounds to Andre's weight for instance?

The same reason the one that got away gets bigger every time the story is told? A lot of this is human nature as much as it is carny bullshit, it's just that wrestlers spend a lifetime cutting promos so it runs off the tongue a bit easier than retired sports stars who think everything was better in their day. It's as much a hang up for wrestling fans who get annoyed at factual incorrect information than it is some kind of psychological disorder.

Harley Race claimed that his match with JYD was one of the 3 main events at WrestleMania 3.

To be fair to him that's one match that legit would have been "main event anywhere in the country".

I don't know about "main event", but it was one of the four (if memory serves) that got a video package/preview before the match itself happened (Hulk-Andre, JYD-Race, Steamer-Savage, Piper-Adonis). Not the oddest claim I've seen.

The thing that cracks me up is that *every* wrestler ever interviewed in a shoot said something to the effect of "those young guys don't know what they are doing, they just do spots, they have no psychology.", even people like Maria Kanellis or Billy Gunn.