Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #1

Loss

Will & Charles are joined by Childs Walker, sports writer for the Baltimore Sun, discussing the best (and worst) 1990 had to offer in the world of wrestling. They reflect on the demise of the indies as several promotions die while USWA is able to survive. We travel to Mexico and talk about EMLL’s amazing year, maybe the best any company has ever produced in the ring. We go to Japan as new companies are formed and AJPW & NJPW start to push new wrestlers as old wrestlers fade. Finally, they discuss the major highlights and low points of the NWA and WWF. So much content in 2 hours!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-...-retrospective/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent two hours sitting in Starbucks and then in McDonalds eating a McFlurry listening to this.

1. Couldn't be more pumped for this new podcast series. I was having a Facebook chat with Chad about it and this image pretty much sums up my feelings about it. And this was a good first show.

2. Mad USA :lol:

3. I feel like with every show we watch on WTBBP, Sting's stock goes down a little bit more. Was interesting to hear you legit compare him with Warrior, because I don't think the comparison is ridiculous. I'm starting to build up a view that Sting just wasn't very good before about 1992, and that's even if you think the Flair match at Clash 1 was great, which I really don't.

4. Listening to this do you know it occurred to me that I'd actually forgotten that Hogan wasn't the champ during that Earthquake feud. I think that's a testament to what you were talking about here and how effectively Hogan worked the Warrior match to ensure he was coming out absolutely as top babyface.

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed doing this show. I thought Will did a great job reigning in my highspots, as I could have gone way overboard without some type of oversight. I also thought Childs was an excellent guest and hope to have him back sometime.

We've been brainstorming on all sorts of topics, not just yearbooks. We look forward to doing this again soon.

Great first show guys. Very hard to cover a full year with 30 discs of action but thought you guys hit the high spots very well. Got a kick out of Gorky Park, Nick Patrick and of course, Mad USA getting air time. Loss underestimates the Hogan/Warrior promos too much for their over the top unintentional humor. But I agree it's not exactly the way you want to build your WrestleMania main event. No mention of ICW interviewer Dawna? She would have been a perfect special guest on show.

MAD USA is the highlight of this podcast.

Great addendum to the set. This podcast is great to listen to as a standalone but even better once you watch the yearbook. I can't tell you how many times I shook my head along in agreement with what Childs and Charles said. It is not just a groupthink mentality either. I personally love Jumbo vs. Misawa 6/8/90 and think it holds up while both childs/Charles didn't. The yearbooks give you a great outlet to digest a year in wrestling with an objective eye and see what you enjoy the most.

MAD USA is the highlight of this podcast.

Great addendum to the set. This podcast is great to listen to as a standalone but even better once you watch the yearbook. I can't tell you how many times I shook my head along in agreement with what Childs and Charles said. It is not just a groupthink mentality either. I personally love Jumbo vs. Misawa 6/8/90 and think it holds up while both childs/Charles didn't. The yearbooks give you a great outlet to digest a year in wrestling with an objective eye and see what you enjoy the most.

I'm not a Joshi fan but I did like that the big 10 Woman Tag team match was mentioned. I said in that thread but it is one of the best Survivor Series type matches you will see.

Kevin, I thought about three things right after the show that I wish I had remembered:

(1) Dawna

(2) Tony Atlas

(3) Kerry Von Erich lying about a sponsorship with Oldsmobile

I had forgot about Atlas myself. USWA-TX had more to talk about. I was frustrated myself in that USWA-TX would do a bunch of gimmick matches but because of censorship on TV would cut major corners. Then you had blood baths in USWA Memphis with the same guys involved. And then there was the awkwardness of Chris Von Erich and Percy Pringle promos about the family.

probably a Southern thing I haven't given any thought to but I know everyone in my family says shaking their head or will specify that he is shaking their head no in disagreement. Of course, I'm also someone that proclaimed someone was "dressed to the sevens" so I have been known to mis-speak common sayings.

Loved the show, you guys did great work here. A few thoughts in no particular order.

- I have seen people make the FMW/Memphis comparison before and I wouldn't dispute it for a second, but the more Puerto Rico I watch the more obvious it is to me that they took a lot from WWC as well. To some degree WWC/Memphis are similar but I think the "garbage" elements of FMW were more Puerto Rico than they were Memphis and in general I think FMW has a more WWC inspired feel to it. Also it would not shock me one bit to learn that Onita watched and learned from Colon as they strike me as very similar babyface workers in many ways (also very similar in other ways that I have covered before).

I think it's interesting that you guys sort of place Jarrett and Waltman in a similar camp of guys that were really, really great and for whatever reason aren't remembered for their strengths. I know you guys are generally higher on Waltman which isn't surprising though I do find the Eddie comp interesting and would love for one of you to argue it in more detail. I do wonder if Jarrett/Waltman types might be worth a thread on their own but I have no clue how to phrase it.

Was overjoyed to hear you guys talk about the Luger/Flair/Sting stuff as Dave and I said a lot of the same things on our Luger show a couple of weeks back. Seems like consensus is forming on that at least within our little core group.

Also I would note that I HATED Warrior as a kid because his promos, look and act terrified me. Also my mother thought he was a black mass satanist.

Great show guys. Mad USA is classic. Looking forward to future shows.

And Dylan, I completely agree with your WWC/Memphis/FMW thoughts. Onita did work a bit in PR, so there is definite influence there. I know there's not much PR stuff in the yearbooks, but I'm looking forward to the eventual show that tackles the subject (particularly the viewpoints and impressions from 'outsiders' who did not watch it on first run).

5559607[/url]']

Was overjoyed to hear you guys talk about the Luger/Flair/Sting stuff as Dave and I said a lot of the same things on our Luger show a couple of weeks back. Seems like consensus is forming on that at least within our little core group.

Loss and I have been privately comparing Luger and Sting for years. I think the main issue in outright calling Luger better was that Sting had the Vader series that is so awesome. We really started picking up steam when we picked up a bunch of the 1989 B shows where Luger was having really good TV matches on top of the Clash and PPV matches.

Boricua, the problem with putting Puerto Rico on the yearbooks is that until you came around, nobody knew he dates to any of the stuff.

Between the lack of dates and lack of available 90's footage it's absolutely understandtable that there's not that much presence. My comment was not meant to be any sort of negative criticism (and I don't believe you took it that way), just a comment on the reality of PR footage for these types of projects. I look forward to more of the fantastic work you guys do with both the projects and the shows.