Pro Wrestling Only

WWF Cage Matches - Attitude Era - Post HIAC (97-2002)

Smack2k

Been thinking about this the last few days after listening to Will and Charles Podcast

Since the first HIAC in '97, I cant think of that many GREAT cage matches the WWF had in the Attitude era (through 2002) that wasnt a HIAC or a Chamber (in 2002) or part of a 2 of 3 falls gimmick match...I will say that I lived daily in "strange clouds" through 2008, so I am sure I am forgetting some and havent pulled up the match lists....

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit in 2001 was OK, but more of a spot that its remembered for...

Any really good ones I am not thinking of? The cage was THE thing up to that era....

Adding these as they come up..

Breakdown 1998 Triple Threat Cage Match

Val Venis vs. Rikishi - Fully Loaded 2000

HHH vs. Rock - RAW 1999

Austin vs. McMahon - Valentine's Day Massacre 1999 - OK, but not really a "match" but some big bumps and Paul Wight...

Rock vs. Austin - Night after WMX7 - used to further a new angle..

New Age Outlaws vs. Funk / Cactus - Night after WM14 - used to further a new angle

As far as really good or great goes - Val vs. Rikishi would be the only one right now...

Would like to revisit this for the Brand Split era and then the Current era as well, but I know there are more in that period...

Read the OP, everyone. He's asking about Attitude Era cage matches.

LOL...yeah...thanks!!

I was gonna get on to the era's after this as the cage seemed to make a comeback of some sorts with many of the matches listed above....

It was strange during their PRIME popularity years, the cage really wasnt featured....Was thinking it had to due with the fact that if it was a Main Event or semi-main, the Announcer Tables had to be used...

Breakdown 1998 Triple Threat Cage Match - I haven't watched this in forever and generally hate triple threat cage match logic (but thinking maybe they didn't have a door option in this one?). IIRC it didn't end with an escape, which makes me like it a lot more given three guys were in it.

Val Venis vs. Rikishi - Fully Loaded 2000 - definitely

Austin/McMahon from St. Valentine's Day Massacre was certainly not a classic, but it was a PPV main event attitude era cage match with a great story.

I know we're talking GREAT here but I remember a lot of post PPV cage matches on Raw - typically with the odds stacked against the Rock (Shane McMahon, Austin after x7 - plus I'm sure he had a couple with HHH in there in 98)

Breakdown 1998 Triple Threat Cage Match - I haven't watched this in forever and generally hate triple threat cage match logic (but thinking maybe they didn't have a door option in this one?). IIRC it didn't end with an escape, which makes me like it a lot more given three guys were in it.

Val Venis vs. Rikishi - Fully Loaded 2000 - definitely

Austin/McMahon from St. Valentine's Day Massacre was certainly not a classic, but it was a PPV main event attitude era cage match with a great story.

I know we're talking GREAT here but I remember a lot of post PPV cage matches on Raw - typically with the odds stacked against the Rock (Shane McMahon, Austin after x7 - plus I'm sure he had a couple with HHH in there in 98)

Rock vs. Austin the night after WMX7 I do remember....but I dont remember ANY cage matches with HHH on TV in 98 at all....HHH was hurt after the Summerslam match and then didnt meet the Rock again until 12/14/98 where Test debuted and cost HHH the title.....then they fought again on 1/25/99 I Quit on RAW...where Chyna turns heel....They did have a cage match in '99 on RAW and in UK...those were OK....

I did remember one other cage match, New Age Outlaws vs. Funk / Cactus, but it wasnt great and just a match to get over the new DX...

HHH and Rock had a good one at the UK only PPV Rebellion in 1999. I vaguely recall it as being the last one in the big bars cage.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yb3c_tr...match-par_sport

Rock does a hell of a job getting "tossed" back into the cage by Bulldog. Doesn't even seem to protect himself flying back down.

It's a good one, but the Davey Boy stuff... just went on for every rather than a short thing to add to the match. Felt like them trying to figure out how to book it to make Rock look strong despite losing, then went over the top with it. :)

I thought Punk vs. Jeff in 2009 was pretty incredible. It was Jeff's last night in the company, and it ended so perfectly with an eye gouge while they were on top of the cage (the whole feud started over a fake eyesight injury). Just a really intense, gritty match.

While it isn't an Attitude Era cage match, I couldn't agree more! And then as Jeff poses and says goodbye to the crowd, Punk nails him with the belt. It set up a cool mini-feud between Matt Hardy and Punk prior to the PPV match with Undertaker (which was neutering to say the least).

HHH and Rock had a good one at the UK only PPV Rebellion in 1999. I vaguely recall it as being the last one in the big bars cage.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yb3c_tr...match-par_sport

Rock does a hell of a job getting "tossed" back into the cage by Bulldog. Doesn't even seem to protect himself flying back down.

It's a good one, but the Davey Boy stuff... just went on for every rather than a short thing to add to the match. Felt like them trying to figure out how to book it to make Rock look strong despite losing, then went over the top with it. :)

That, and they wanted Bulldog to have a prominent role in his return to England.

I thought Punk vs. Jeff in 2009 was pretty incredible. It was Jeff's last night in the company, and it ended so perfectly with an eye gouge while they were on top of the cage (the whole feud started over a fake eyesight injury). Just a really intense, gritty match.

While it isn't an Attitude Era cage match, I couldn't agree more! And then as Jeff poses and says goodbye to the crowd, Punk nails him with the belt. It set up a cool mini-feud between Matt Hardy and Punk prior to the PPV match with Undertaker (which was neutering to say the least).

whoops, I didn't notice the 2002 cap.