Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #5

Loss

On this week’s episode, Will & Charles are joined by our friend Johnny Sorrow to discuss the IC Title! We start off with the tournament in Rio de Janiero to crown the new champion. We’ll run down the champions from Pat Patterson up until Stone Cold & Owen Hart in 1997. We discuss the famous feuds for the belt including Santana-Valentine, Savage-Steamboat, and HBK-Razor. We’ll say mean things about the Honky Tonk Man and Ultimate Warrior. We’ll say nice things about Goldust and even Jeff Jarrett. Enjoy the show!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-...tory-1979-1997/

RSS Feed: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundclo...6985/sounds.rss

Itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/ptbn-wr...d715657490?mt=2

Here are two match reviews for the current WWF process...

Ken Patera vs. Pedro Morales (10/20/80)

- Fucking Pedro was OVER! Pedro punching and choking Patera early on to huge cheers. Follows a similar pattern like earlier Patera matches where Ken gets the advantage and keeps Pedro on the outside after throwing him over the top rope. Patera is beating the shit out of Pedro. He slows it down with a front face lock and Pedro actually reverses it with a back body drop. Looked better than it sounds. Pedro’s comeback is so full of energy I can see why crowds went crazy for him even if he wasn’t a great wrester. You want to root for him. When Ken puts him in a bearhug, Pedro waves his finger letting the crowd know it isn’t over and milks it for all it is worth. Nice spot where Pedro falls on Patera while still in a bearhug and Ken almost gets pinned while holding onto the bearhug. Maybe the most entertaining bearhug sequence I have ever seen start to end. These two milked it for almost 4 minutes and I was perfectly fine with it. When Pedro finally breaks it, Ken is pissed and beats the shit out of Pedro. The ref gets in the way of these two battling and they end up getting disqualified. Maybe the best match I have ever seen Pedro morales in and Patera is having a helluva 1980. SOLID NOMINATION

Buddy Rose vs. Pedro Morales (11/22/82)

- Sheri Martel is not one of the ring girls here. Bummer. Buddy poses with e IC belt to get under Pedro’s skin. Buddy stalls by instructing the ref to make sure Pedro doesn’t have a closed fist and then does a Hail Mary in the corner. Awesome. When they finally connect, Pedro levels Buddy with a left hook. I mark out for Buddy so bad. Buddy stalls some more so Pedro kicks him in the ass. Love it. This is followed by Buddy trying to do a butt drop on Pedro’s leg but Buddy hits mat. So far, this is the kind of match Buddy fans will love but everyone else will hate. Buddy’s shtick is just the best. Buddy finally takes control and just steps on Pedro several times. He follows up with some nasty knee drops and a back body drop. Buddy also has the best backbreaker in the business. Buddy nails Pedro with every strike known to man… forearm, chop, punch, hammer blow. Pedro fights back with his high-octane offense (i.e. punches and slamming Buddy into the turnbuckle) Finish has Pedro missing a corner charge, Buddy trying to attack Pedro on the apron only to get caught on the sunset flip. Buddy throws a tantrum after the match. More Buddy Rose goodness here and I can’t be objective. SOLID NOMINATION. I may use a personal pick on this if I have to but I think most of you will enjoy this.

Listening to this now and I completely agree with the praise on Santana-Valentine. That surgery was the first angle I remember. Though WM I wasn't Tito's comeback match, he had even fought the Hammer at MSG in a lumberjack match 2 weeks before Wrestlemania (in a card that baffles me, TWO weeks before your biggest show of your run as promoter if you're Vince). Tito had been back for quite a while at that point.

But yeah those matches are absolutely amazing. It's the highlight of Tito's career by a mile (Although the Savage series is almost as good) and the last great hurrah of Greg Valentine's singles career (the 89-90 Garvin stuff is good, but nowhere near the quality of this feud).

About Macho Man I agree that Vince never even gave 10 seconds worth of consideration to the NWA blacklisting. Why would he care in 85? I think he might have been waiting till Savage got some experience in a promotion not run by his dad but still in a top spot. Savage was brought in at the perfect time in my opinion.

On Savage-Elizabeth does anyone know who's idea that was? Vince? Savage? George Scott? Personally I think Savage-Santana and Savage-Steamboat were miles ahead of Savage-Magnum's potential but I consider both of those guys much better workers than Magnum ever got to be.

The cage match between Santana-Bruno vs. Savage-Adonis occurred months before the Steamboat angle BTW.

I think you guys meant Ron Shaw.

I also think it's sad that with Steamboat it's ALL in the chase. His rematches with Savage drew lousy gates for the most part and I bet that played a big part in Vince's decision to take the title off him when he asked for time off and not use him much after that. Steamboat was also a lousy drawing champ in 89. As the champion headliner (the Savage-Steamboat rematches were almost all main events) Ricky Steamboat was a major letdown in both of his most famous runs.

Warrior as worse than Mongo? Are you guys serious? I mean look I will never defend Warrior as a good worker, but he was carryable to good and even great matches. He had great matches with Hogan, Savage and Rude and good ones with Perfect and Dibiase. Who did Mongo ever have a great match with? I'm not counting Uncensored 97 but name me one Mongo match that even comes within a mile of being as good as Warrior-Savage at WM VII. There's bias and then there's just losing any sense of reality and this podcast jumped the shark at this absurd comparison I'm sorry.

Warrior was a major part of the end of the biggest boom in wrestling history, a guy anyone from that era remembers. Mongo as a wrestler is an amusing footnote at best. Warrior's promos were effective for little kids, though I admit I have no clue what he's talking about more often than not anymore than anyone else ever did. And I don't think Rude-Warrior was as one sided as you guys did, though I agree Rude did the majority of the work. I'm sorry you're just flat out wrong to say Warrior did NOTHING in Summerslam 89. I'd be happy to watch it with you guys and point out specific things Warrior brought. Did Rude do 75% of the work. Sure probably but to say Warrior accomplished nothing is funny. "He was there". Wow that's sad. Go back and watch again to see how Warrior changed his game to make it seem like an epic battle. He brought something to the table in big big matches.

Warrior had to regain the title. That was sort of the whole point, he was the only OTHER guy who never really lost a feud other than Hogan. If Rude had beaten Warrior up at the Rumble, taken his title at WM and Warrior just walks away and says eehhhh that makes Warrior look like a massive pussy and nowhere near the level of invincible he needed to be for the Ultimate Challenge at WM to work. The better plan would have been to find a new opponent for Warrior after WM VI, I disagree the loss really hurt Rude that much, there were circumstances as extenuating as Steamboat's win and he moved into the C main even program with Piper. Now losing that feud and then drifting for months after, that hurt him more than Summerslam ever did.

Tito was sort of slightly built back up for the Perfect feud. The Matador stuff was more than a year away actually, and after the perfect matches he drifted into pure JTTS territory.

Piper never wrestled small is the sort of great insight I love to hear. Don't want to sound too down on this podcast after the Warrior remarks, that was only real source of contention. And I'm not even a Warrior fan at all.

I think my point was more that I'd rather watch Mongo, not necessarily that was he better. Just that he tried harder and seemed to care more. Either way, both guys are pretty awful.

I like watching Warrior but only in specific situations. I love Warrior in tag matches on the apron. He's nuts. I kind of like watching Warrior matches and seeing how well you can pick out that he's following direction. I haven't seen a Mongo match in years but he's a guy that honestly loved wrestling. It's hard to hate that.

The Savage Crockett dream match I would have wanted to see was against Tully. Obviously Savage is face here. Though I like him as a heel better. I always thought they had similar heel psychology. Both could hit and run. They both used valets. The 2 of them could get on their bike and run. Both were master cheaters and would resort to dastardly deeds. Savage was the flashier of the 2. Clearly the makings of a classic.

The Intercontinental Title was one of my favorite belts growing up watching wrestling. Just giving it to Patterson was curious but it was good to have a secondary title since the WWF World Title stayed on guys for a long time. I loved going back and watching early 80's IC title matches and agree that Santana/Valentine cage match was great. Santana faced off with Valentine weeks before WrestleMania 1. Imagine if they went up against each other on that card. Savage was amazing champion and his match with Steamboat is one of my favorites of all time. Ricky wanted some time off for his family and had to drop title too quickly to Honky. I didn't realize Honky was turning people off completely from wrestling! Wasn't he a good draw and stuff during his run? Mongo may have been better than Warrior in WCW but I'll take Warrior's high end matches in WWF over anything McMichael did. Agreed that 96 was a bad year for IC Title. Not to be against Dustin but the period from when he won title all the way up to Rocky was not good. Owen winning title in early 97 immediately brought title back up. I'm also a huge Owen fan and loved him winning his first singles title but him being part of the huge Hart Foundation faction and then going against Austin was big for the title. You guys covered the prime years of the title and outside of 2000 there wasn't much going on in the future since the belt went defunct for a while in 2002. Another really good show and I like you guys focusing on the various titles. Looking forward to the eventual US Title podcast.