Pro Wrestling Only

If only he could talk

cheapshot

I was pondering earlier, which wrestlers people feel would of moved up a tier or two as an overall great, or even reached GOAT status if only they could cut a decent promo. They might be workers whom are over with the crowd, who put on great matches, with great charisma but just don't cut it when it comes to interviews and on camera speaking.

People to me who fall into this criteria include: Jeff Hardy, Lex Luger, Booker T, Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, Bobby Lashley, RVD, Ken Patera, Brock Lesnar and Ken Shamrock

I am not sure if I'd include Benoit as he is already considered a GOAT candidate, but if he was great on the mic would he of been a no brainer for Top 5 of all time?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luger was mostly solid on promos as a heel, and at times excellent. His promos and angle work in 96 and late 99-early 00 are gold.

To me, Luger's promos sometimes seemed forced and he seemed uncomfortable and susceptible to tripping over his words. To me I'd never consider classing him as excellent on promos.

Guest TheGreatPuma

The Warrior was an awesome and legendary promo which was a humongous part of his legendary status. Very effective. I don't want to get into a big essay on why for various reasons but just wanted to get that out there. He deserves credit for it.

Rick Martel and Ricky Steamboat always went to shit when they started talking.

I think that Steamboat whilst not always memorable on the mic isn't someone who I'd consider couldn't talk.

I'd say as English most likely wasn't Martel's first language so I think it would be a little harsh to lump him in with others.

Jim Brunzell was pretty bad on the mic, but it never really hurt him as he primarily was a tag wrestler. Greg Gagne was a decent talker so he could take the lead most of the time.

I do wonder if he was a decent talker if he would have been moved more towards being a singles wrestler, though. His time in MACW and his bouts vs. Bockwinkel indicate that he probably had it in him.