Pro Wrestling Only

Preferred worker in tag teams

Mr. Lacelle

I have always preferred Animal to Hawk and I've noticed that this is probably the team with the most variation on who people prefer. There are some obvious choices like Bret to the Anvil, Bobby to Stan or Dennis so I'm more interested in the teams that are seemingly closer to equal. I prefer Sags to Knobs, Afa to Sika, Rick Steiner to Scott Steiner. There are some where it varies, sometimes I prefer Enos to Bloom, other times it's Bloom who I think is better.

I think Samu was initially the better worker between he and Fatu but Fatu passed him near the end of their run together. I'll take Tully slightly over Arn but could see a case for the Enforcer. I always had a soft spot for Moondog Spike cause I saw him getting wins for Savoldi's ICW while Spot was a JTTS in the WWF.

I have always preferred Animal to Hawk and I've noticed that this is probably the team with the most variation on who people prefer. There are some obvious choices like Bret to the Anvil, Bobby to Stan or Dennis so I'm more interested in the teams that are seemingly closer to equal. I prefer Sags to Knobs, Afa to Sika, Rick Steiner to Scott Steiner. There are some where it varies, sometimes I prefer Enos to Bloom, other times it's Bloom who I think is better.

I think Samu was initially the better worker between he and Fatu but Fatu passed him near the end of their run together. I'll take Tully slightly over Arn but could see a case for the Enforcer. I always had a soft spot for Moondog Spike cause I saw him getting wins for Savoldi's ICW while Spot was a JTTS in the WWF.

I liked Jim Brunzell more than Greg Gagne

I liked Jimmy Garvin more than Steve Regal (crazy but anyone, even Jimmy I prefer to "Mr. Electricity")

Vachon more than Gagne

Adonis more than Ventura

Brunzell more than Gagne

Blackwell more than Patera

Hawk more than Animal

Garvin more than Regal

Hennig more than Hall

Rose more than Somers

Jannetty more than Michaels

Tanaka more than Diamond (really, a toss-up)

Enos more than Bloom

Ustinov/Zurkov and Raschke/Crusher: dead heat

I always liked Stevie Ray more than Booker T. I don't know why. Harlem Heat in 94-96ish was hands down my favorite tag team, and Booker was clearly the better wrestler of the two and you knew he'd eventually get the singles push, but I really enjoyed Stevie's style. They were a really strong tag team.

I always liked Saggs better than Knobbs too. Kinda the same deal. Knobbs was more charismatic and a better talker, better worker overall, but Saggs was good in his own way, and underrated.

Nick Bockwinkel

Were you lucky enough to see these guys when they were in their prime as a tag team? It was a little before my time and I didn't feel I had seen enough to rate one over the other in the context of their team. I didn't think there was enough footage to fall back on with them either.

If you actually saw them wrestle more in their prime, maybe you can provide some insight into Ray Stevens the wrestler for us. He's a constant source of debate since there isn't much of him out there to see footage-wise.

How about some Lucha trios:

Pirata Morgan > MS-1 > Satanico (no, OJ, I do not hate Satanico)

El Signo > El Texano > Negro Navarro (strictly talking about their trios stuff)

Super Astro > Solar > Ultraman

Blackman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kato Kung Lee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kung Fu

Brazo de Oro > Brazo de Plata > El Brazo

Pirata Morgan > Hombre Bala > El Verdugo

Villano III > Villano IV > Villano V (> Villano II)

Dr. Wagner Jr. > Black Warrior > Blue Panther (again strictly talking about their stuff together)

Ultimo Guerrero > Rey Bucanero > Atlantis

Strictly when partnering:

Kawada > Misawa

Kawada > Taue

Misawa = Kobashi

Misawa > Jun

Kobashi > Jun

I thought Kawada did a bit more of the dirty work in the pairing, letting Misawa hit the role as Jumbo's top rival. Misawa also felt banged up through a lot of the partnership.

Misawa and Kobashi is closer. Misawa at his best in their pairings felt better. In turn, Kobashi was the guy who brought it every time out, put on a show every time, and probably was in his best balance of health & ability & role as at any point in his career. He was a bit "too good" to be the #3 on the side earlier, and by the time he got to be a #1 he didn't take to the role well initially, and when he became an Ace and comfortable in the role his body was broken down.

Misawa from 5/96 - 12/96 partnering with Jun probably was as good as he every was in terms of tag work. A bit banged up, but not falling apart... even without the TC (which he dropped the day after their first major match together), he hit the perfect notes of being the Ace of the promotion with a partner who was quite a few levels below himself and a lot of the guys on the other side. Jun was pretty good paired with him in that stretch, but Misawa seemed to hit all the right notes of covering him, timing things perfectly, and climaxing on 12/06/96 with probably as good of a stretch in a match as he ever had.

Kobashi & Jun was a strange, oddball partnership with Jun moving away from Misawa to another #2 role with a partner who gave him less than Misawa had. Kenta was always going to put on a show, which made it really odd as to the point of Jun going over there: it didn't make him look better. Maybe the > should be removed because Kenta was clueless of his role in the partnership relative to how Misawa had been with him and Jun, or how Jumbo had been with Taue. But at least a clueless Kenta still was trying to put on a show, while Jun's career sort of came to a grinding hault until Misawa tried to push him as Kenta's rival.

John

I'd go Satanico > Morgan > MS-1 but it depends on the match. For the Cadets, I think we only have the one match of theirs from the 80s, but Super Astro personified the gimmick and had the most memorable high spots so that's a good choice.

How about, Cien Caras, Mascara 2000 and Universo 2000? Talisman, Fuerza Guerrera and El Dandy? Sangre Chicana, Mocho Cota and La Fiera? Trios Fantasia?

I'd go Satanico > Morgan > MS-1 but it depends on the match. For the Cadets, I think we only have the one match of theirs from the 80s, but Super Astro personified the gimmick and had the most memorable high spots so that's a good choice.

How about, Cien Caras, Mascara 2000 and Universo 2000? Talisman, Fuerza Guerrera and El Dandy? Sangre Chicana, Mocho Cota and La Fiera? Trios Fantasia?

Mascara 2000 > Cien Caras > Universo 2000 in AAA

Universo 2000 > Mascara 2000 > Cien Caras in CMLL

Dandy > Talisman > Fuerza Guerrera

I need to rewatch a lot of their stuff but Chicana > Fiera > Cota

Trio Fantasia is easy. Super Raton >>>>>>>>>> Super Muneco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super Pinocho. I am probably the world's biggest Super Raton fan though.

• 3 months later...

Vachon more than Gagne Adonis more than Ventura Brunzell more than Gagne Blackwell more than Patera Hawk more than Animal Garvin more than Regal Hennig more than Hall Rose more than Somers Jannetty more than Michaels Tanaka more than Diamond (really, a toss-up) Enos more than Bloom Ustinov/Zurkov and Raschke/Crusher: dead heat

Agree on all of those except for one. Zurkov was better than Ustinov.

Patterson more than Stevens. Lanza more than Duncum. Bruiser more than Crusher. Bockwinkel more than Stevens. Robinson more than Crusher. Robinson more than Gagne. Bastien more than Crusher or Cortez. Mad Dog Vachon more than Butcher Vachon. And that's as far back in the AWA as I go.

Lanza more than Duncum really isn't a compliment. I thought both were awful during their tag title run. But if someone put a gun to my head and said pick one. I'd pick Lanza. Lanza was never the same after breaking his leg in 1972. Never "got" Duncum. Duncum received one of the biggest pushes Verne ever gave anybody. Duncum's interference allowed Nick Bockwinkel to win the AWA Title from Verne Gagne. Duncum even had a few wins over Verne. Duncum and Lanza then beat Bruiser and Crusher for the AWA Tag Title. The truth is Lanza and Duncum sucked compared to Lanza and Mulligan. Part of that was due to Lanza's leg and BJL getting older. But the main point is I never thought Duncum was very good. I just didn't buy him. I saw Duncum as a pale imitation of Mulligan. And I saw the team of Lanza and Duncum as being inferior to the team of Lanza and Mulligan. But hey I thought Bruiser and Crusher's 1972 feud with Lanza and Mulligan was one of the greatest of all time. Keep in mind I was only 8 years old when it happened so I might be wearing rose colored glasses.