Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2014

goodhelmet

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wrestling HOF exists that people take seriously where Lou Thesz not only isn't in, but probably never will be. The HOF is a marketing tool and a payday. It's not anything more than that. They make up the rules as they go along.

Even more reason why I don't understand why the logic behind not letting someone be a multiple time inductee.

The weirdest thing is since it's a meaningless hall the only reason to have it is for the television ceremony, and that has always been chopped down to 45 minutes and put on relatively late at night. At least now the entire show will be on the network.

I think they added guys who they wanted to market DVDs for at times as well. But yeah, every year, Danny Hodge comes up as a name and is rejected not on the merits but because WWE doesn't have any Danny Hodge footage in their library. So one person being inducted multiple times doesn't bother me either. People being excluded for marketing or political reasons I think is a much bigger issue. But even then, WWE has never pretended their HOF is something it's not.

I think they added guys who they wanted to market DVDs for at times as well. But yeah, every year, Danny Hodge comes up as a name and is rejected not on the merits but because WWE doesn't have any Danny Hodge footage in their library. So one person being inducted multiple times doesn't bother me either. People being excluded for marketing or political reasons I think is a much bigger issue. But even then, WWE has never pretended their HOF is something it's not.

FWIW, that's why I always think its pointless (even though I mentioned the Basketball and Pro Wrestling Halls, though only in the example that legit Halls do multiple enshrinements for people frequently), to look at other teams or organizations when debating how the one you are talking about choose to honor people.

For example, are you really going to debate your team retiring a number because the Yankees retired Billy Martin's number?

Hodge puzzles me. You have a guy beloved by your most famous announcing voice, with the ceremony roughly in his home territory and best of all, is alive to accept the honor. Footage or no, seems like a no-brainer.

I didn't like it when they did it with Ric Flair, but even then _it's Ric Flair_. Hall deserved a spot in the Hall of Fame, but one induction is enough.

How do you induct The Four Horsemen WITHOUT including Flair? That'd be like the Basketball Hall of Fame inducting The Dream Team 1990 Olympic Team but only listing Christian Latener (only non-HOF-er on roster).

You induct Arn, Tully, Windham and JJ Dillon while noting that Flair is already in the HOF. Which I was what I thought they'd do, instead of double-inducting Flair.

So, you'd be fine if the Basketball Hall of Fame, which has been inducting specific team rosters since the 1960s, only listed Christian Laettner and assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo for the 1992 Men's US Olympic Team because they are the only non-Hall of Famers among the players and coaching staff?

And speaking of said coaching staff, you want to have Lenny Wilkens as a player only or a coach only as he, who was on that year's staff, was inducted twice, once as a player and then again as one of the winningest coaches in NBA history.

The Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame has Ray Stevens inducted twice, as a member of a Tag Team with Pat Patterson, and as a solo competitor if you want to use a non-WWF Hall of Fame for a different example.

I'm not sure why you want to arbitrarily say that someone SHOULDN'T get inducted more than once if the Hall of Fame's rules allows someone to be honored in anyway they seem fit.

I didn't say SHOULDN'T. Just that when they announced the Horsemen, I assumed they'd stipulate Flair was already in and thus didn't need a second induction. I don't actually care about the fake rules for the fake sport's fake HOF.

The baseball hall of fame has this feature called the "Golden Era Veterans Committee" - Basically a quieter, back-door way for half-forgotten old timers to get in the hall of fame. In that context I really hate it because its just a ridiculous exercise in nostalgia indulgence (i.e. baseball as ususal), but I'd actually support a similar idea for the WWE if they ever wanted to get more serious about their HoF and present a more sensible history of wrestling (say, before opening a physical hall of fame). The way they like to do the Hall now, a guy like Hodge is never going to get in, so it would be a reasonable solution to present something more robust.

A wrestling HOF exists that people take seriously where Lou Thesz not only isn't in, but probably never will be. The HOF is a marketing tool and a payday. It's not anything more than that. They make up the rules as they go along.

Is there any reason Thesz isn't in, besides not wanting to induct too many dead people in a year and an aversion to earlier era candidates? Didn't he do an interview with Vince on Tuesday Night Titans or one of the other shows back in the '80s? I think he also did a legend's battle royal for them at some point too. Is there some other reason they don't like him?

I remember that it took WWE weeks to acknowledge his death in 2002, and that was only after getting tons of criticism. I don't know if this is why he's not in the HOF, but the apparent issue at the time was that legitimizing Thesz was an admittance that the WWWF was only a regional promotion.

They did put Thesz on that Top 50 Superstars of All-Time DVD a few years ago. You know, the one where Mr. Perfect was better than Hogan, Flair and Bruno (plus Thesz). So he may be on their radar. Not sure who would induct him or accept.

BTW, seems like a lot of fans are butthurt b/c Undertaker doesn't go to the HoF ceremonies to not break character, and may not induct Bearer. Does anyone know if its Taker's choice to not attend the HoF or does WWE/Vince not allow him to attend? I just can't see WWE telling him not to go. And if it is Taker's choice, it really doesn't bother me, even with wrestling as "exposed" as it is. Gotta respect the man for wanting to keep some kayfabe alive.

Even more reason why I don't understand why the logic behind not letting someone be a multiple time inductee.

It's not that I don't think someone should be inducted twice, I just don't think it's necessary. Once you're in, you're in. Point taken on the basketball hall of fame, though.

And I don't really have a problem with it, I was just stating an opinion. I think it's unnecessary to induct someone into something they're already in, but the fact that they are isn't really a big deal. My intentions were just that the montage for Hall was all Razor Ramon highlights so I thought it was discussion worthy.

I also get the point about the WWE Hall of Fame is not something intended to take seriously, but I don't think there is any harm stating an opinion on a particular aspect of it and asking others what they think.