Pro Wrestling Only

Good not great wrestlers

dawho5

Lawler wrestles like any other nickel-and-dime Southern heel and panders for cheap heat too much instead of presenting himself as a tough guy. On his promos, he buries his opponents instead of selling the match as something people should care about, take seriously and want to see. The routine of hiding a foreign object in the tights is fine as an act, but is beneath someone pushed as the top guy of the promotion. He should stay off the house mic during his matches too. I love Lawler as a babyface, although even there, there are problems because it's rare that you see some great wrestling moves or that he takes the match to the mat. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch ... as good as they are and as many variations as he has, it can get monotonous. There are exceptions to that, and someone could respond and name matches, but they are pointing out an exception, not something Lawler did routinely. He's a great brawler. He has taken some huge bumps, but he's not a guy who takes big bumps in regular matches. I don't mean something crazy or exceptional like the Jos Le Duc bump ... I mean regular bumping in the confines of a traditional wrestling match where he feeds a babyface offense. He's a guy who I've liked less the more I've seen of him, although in terms of presenting himself as a top guy outside the ring, he's nearly peerless. But a GOAT contender shouldn't be such a schtick guy, and should be someone who works smart *and* hard. Lawler tends to do the former and not the latter. Not nearly enough steak with the sizzle.

Wow. For ages I just couldn't understand what I was missing on Lawler as he's someone who's highs I love but are much fewer and further apart for me than for many other top guys, and someone who is absolutely revered by numerous people who's opinions I strongly respect. You just managed to some it up perfectly for me.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawler wrestles like any other nickel-and-dime Southern heel and panders for cheap heat too much instead of presenting himself as a tough guy. On his promos, he buries his opponents instead of selling the match as something people should care about, take seriously and want to see. The routine of hiding a foreign object in the tights is fine as an act, but is beneath someone pushed as the top guy of the promotion. He should stay off the house mic during his matches too. I love Lawler as a babyface, although even there, there are problems because it's rare that you see some great wrestling moves or that he takes the match to the mat. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch ... as good as they are and as many variations as he has, it can get monotonous. There are exceptions to that, and someone could respond and name matches, but they are pointing out an exception, not something Lawler did routinely. He's a great brawler. He has taken some huge bumps, but he's not a guy who takes big bumps in regular matches. I don't mean something crazy or exceptional like the Jos Le Duc bump ... I mean regular bumping in the confines of a traditional wrestling match where he feeds a babyface offense. He's a guy who I've liked less the more I've seen of him, although in terms of presenting himself as a top guy outside the ring, he's nearly peerless. But a GOAT contender shouldn't be such a schtick guy, and should be someone who works smart *and* hard. Lawler tends to do the former and not the latter. Not nearly enough steak with the sizzle.

I'll have a line by line rebuttal forthcoming.

I'll have a line by line rebuttal forthcoming.

Looking forward to that too. Every time I read people who love Lawler, they make tangible, well reasoned points for why they regard him so well. I may not see all of it when I watch the matches myself, but I can appreciate that there are specific things working for them there.

I love that this thread has become an exercise in Maoist self-criticism. Let's get some thoughts on the flaws of Lawler and Fujiwara.

Why don't you quit whining and do it yourself.

Setting aside the fact that there was nothing even remotely whiny about my post, I was hoping someone like you or Phil would do it to keep with the spirit of OJ outlining Satanico's flaws.

Looking forward to that too. Every time I read people who love Lawler, they make tangible, well reasoned points for why they regard him so well. I may not see all of it when I watch the matches myself, but I can appreciate that there are specific things working for them there.

And that is what makes this forum so wonderful.

I love Lawler but pretty much agree with all of Loss' criticisms of him as a heel. He relies on the foreign object stuff WAY too much as a heel, to the point of killing the whole gimmick by hitting the guy with it so many times it doesn't feel like a threat any more.

He doesn't fit the idea of "good not great wrestlers" though and my pick for that would be Chris Jericho. I think people hyped him for so long as a great wrestler, but he's not. He's just good. People seem to have come down off that "Chris Jericho is one of the best in the world!!" ledge they were on in the early 2000s though.

I love that this thread has become an exercise in Maoist self-criticism. Let's get some thoughts on the flaws of Lawler and Fujiwara.

Why don't you quit whining and do it yourself.

Setting aside the fact that there was nothing even remotely whiny about my post, I was hoping someone like you or Phil would do it to keep with the spirit of OJ outlining Satanico's flaws.

I see no flaws in Lawler except that there isn't enough footage from the 70s available.

I love Lawler but pretty much agree with all of Loss' criticisms of him as a heel. He relies on the foreign object stuff WAY too much as a heel, to the point of killing the whole gimmick by hitting the guy with it so many times it doesn't feel like a threat any more.

That particular criticism all hinges on a 5 month period in early 1990.... out of a 40 year career.

Also, in Memphis, the chain in the pants isn't the same as a roll of quarters or brass knux or a slapjack. The point is to punish, not knock out. The chain is a momentum turner, not a game ender.

Also, El-P, Lawler's no-sell comebacks don't bother me and aren't something I consider a weakness at all. In fact, those fired up comebacks are one of the best parts of his act. I believe in the concept of the adrenaline rush in a wrestling setting. Lawlering up typically isn't like Hoganing up where he takes the other guy's best move and shrugs it off because Jesus-and-America or whatever.

Despite my criticisms of Lawler, I've already done my taxes and plan to buy the Lawler set as soon as the direct deposit hits. I just think he's a much better babyface than a heel, but that's also a bit unfair because I also think he's maybe the best babyface ever.

Also, if you really think anyone isn't going to pick up a set because some dude on a message board raised what he thought were some fair criticisms, then you must really think you've got a lot of spineless jellyfish who can't think for themselves on this board. :)

(1) You can criticize something and still really like it.

(2) No one is sacred and above criticism.

(3) If I see the debates over a guy, I'm more likely to pick up the matches myself and see where I stand. I would assume most are the same way.

Saying that my criticisms should be "ignored" comes across as an attempt to stifle debate, and I think you're better than that. I encourage people to check out the footage for themselves and if they think I'm wrong, tell me so. Let's make things interesting, and let's let his case be proven instead of just passed down from a mountain top. That's what we're all about here.

Jerry Lawler does rule, but he's also flawed, just like every wrestler ever. To point out those flaws isn't to say people should run the other way, cover their ears and sing "la la la, I can't hear you".

I really like the direction this has gone, even if I had no idea it would. I would agree that Koji complaints have been done and are overdone, but that wasn't truly my point. I still love watching him wrestle, at least for a short time before I start seeing too much of the things I dislike. So I adapt and watch 2 or 3 matches then switch it up. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate his skill and efforts as a worker. That's what I'm seeing from a lot of the other things that have come up. People are willing to see the flaws in workers you can tell they love. I saw Jericho mentioned and totally agree. He seemed to me like a guy who was great at his schtick and could go in-ring, but lacked something s far as putting great matches together unless he was up against a Benoit or someone of that caliber.

Also, El-P, Lawler's no-sell comebacks don't bother me and aren't something I consider a weakness at all. In fact, those fired up comebacks are one of the best parts of his act. I believe in the concept of the adrenaline rush in a wrestling setting. Lawlering up typically isn't like Hoganing up where he takes the other guy's best move and shrugs it off because Jesus-and-America or whatever.

I already talked about this in lenght in the past and don't intend to do it again. They do bother me. But anyway, this is neither here nor there since as I said it Lawer is better than good to me.

Also, if you really think anyone isn't going to pick up a set because some dude on a message board raised what he thought were some fair criticisms, then you must really think you've got a lot of spineless jellyfish who can't think for themselves on this board. :)

(3) If I see the debates over a guy, I'm more likely to pick up the matches myself and see where I stand. I would assume most are the same way.

Saying that my criticisms should be "ignored" comes across as an attempt to stifle debate, and I think you're better than that. I encourage people to check out the footage for themselves and if they think I'm wrong, tell me so. Let's make things interesting, and let's let his case be proven instead of just passed down from a mountain top. That's what we're all about here.

Jerry Lawler does rule, but he's also flawed, just like every wrestler ever. To point out those flaws isn't to say people should run the other way, cover their ears and sing "la la la, I can't hear you".

I'm pretty sure his comments about how your criticisms should be ignored were tongue-in-cheek.

I'm pretty sure his comments about how your criticisms should be ignored were tongue-in-cheek.

Yes and no. I don't think anyone would not pick up the Lawler set because Loss doesn't like him. No, because now I have to spend my time defending him when I should be making sarcastic one liners in the podcast forum and finishing Part 2.

Seems like this he delved into bringing up guys people generally think are great and knocking them down a peg. Here are some guys I always thought were good but never thought of as great:

Roderick Strong

Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

Atsushi Aoki

Shinjiro Ohtani

Chris Hero (although he's evolved into something that could end up being great)

Mohammed Yone

Shane Douglas

Jeff Jarrett

Yujiro Takahashi

Ryusuke Taguchi

Tetsuya Naito

Edge

Johnny Ace

Taiyo Kea

Lance Hoyt/Archer

Davey Boy Smith Jr

Jacques Rougeau

Sting

Jay Lethal

EDIT - actually, the OP was about guys who he thought were great and then changed his mind on over the years. That's different than what I just did.

Most of the guys in W2BTD's list are average but not good in my book.

Here are some guys i'd call average or run-of-the-mill

Damien Sandow

Charlie Hass

Rhyno

Billy Gunn

Bob Holly

Bobby Roode

James Storm

Adam Pearce

Rob Conway

Magnum T.A.

Lex Luger