Pro Wrestling Only

Elimination Chamber

goodhelmet

They overbooked the eliminations of Cena and Bryan way too much for my tastes, but the result wasn't really a surprise to me, and this match was pretty incredible. The pacing was insane, like 80s New Japan on steroids. I would probably put it in the top two or three matches in the history of the company even with the Kane and Wyatts crap. I feel bad for that crowd, though. The finish shocked them into silence.

lol are you high?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even going into the whole Bryan backlash, I'm just saying all these constant "lets screw over the guy the fans really want to see" finishes in a row is really going to bite WWE in the ass at some point.

At least we won't have to pay $70 to watch Orton and Big Dave get laughed out of the Superdome thanks to the Network.

Wow, I'll need to rewatch this one, that is some crazy praise. For my part I did like it a whole lot and thought it is either my #3 or 4 MOTY so far. One of the more well done multi-man every man for himself matches I've ever seen and there were a ton of cool things in it.

Yeah this was a great match. if there wasn't a Shield vs Wyatts match this would easily be in talks for the match of the year. If you think this was better than the 6 man that I don't know what to say. I know you have issues with it not being violent enough but you can't treat this like a Crockett or Mid South promotion.

The finish was exactly what I expected so while it sucks it is what it is. Now the only concern is whether they are going with Bryan vs Kane at WM or is Bryan beating Kane to get to Triple H which god I hope that is the case.

I would never impugn Loss' good name by accusing him of partaking of the wacky tobacky, but I do agree that his praise for the Chamber match was quite hyperbolic. It really takes me out of a match when it has that many blatantly choreographed set pieces. It was like a high-end Rumble match in that I found it highly entertaining but have no real desire to ever watch it again.

My thoughts on the show:

Rhodes Brothers vs. Ryback & Curtis Axl - Fun match. All four guys looked good. The Rhodes Brothers double dive was the highlight. I'm glad they won too. They needed it.

Big E. vs. Jack Swagger (IC Title) - Solid match. I like how they traded big man offense. Swagger doing his best Kurt Angle impression with the top rope throw and ankle lock was a bit cringe worthy but neither of those things were bad. It just reminded me of Angle. Fun match though.

New Age Outlaws vs. Usos (Tag Title) - Decent match. The Usos looked good. I liked the Uso in-peril (JImmy maybe?). He took some big bumps for the Outlaws shitty offense. Uso matches always have fun finishing runs. I loved the near fall off of the superkick because that's how Gunn lost on Smackdown. The finish was annoying because the Outlaws won.

The Shield vs. The Wyatts - This is my current match of the year. A completely awesome war. The traditional tag setting was fine because they were beating the fuck out of each other. Harper was incredible in this. I thought he was insanely great as the enforcer of the Wyatts. He had some awesome exchanges with all three Shield guys. Rollins was a lunatic. His land off the top rope German and offensive flurry was totally awesome. I loved Ambrose as the pitbull throwing violent strikes and making tremendous saves. That save he made for Rollins by the announce table was a great, great spot. Rollins table bump was really nasty. Reigns was excellent in this. This is the best he's ever looked. He uses a lot of the same moves but they all look great and his charisma is through the roof. Of course, the finish was superb and the Shield having the tables turned on them and Reigns desperately trying to survive was the best ending that this group could possibly have. Awesome, awesome match.

AJ vs. Cameron (Diva's Title) - The pom pom stuff was amusing. We'll probably get AJ-Tamina at some point soon. The match was bad.

Batista vs. Alberto Del Rio - The "Bootista" chant was great. Dave wasn't awful in this. He looked better here than he did in the Rumble. Del Rio did some decent work on the shoulder. The boos for the Batista Bomb were hilarious. The crowd now hates Batista.

EC Chamber (WWE Title) - This is a tough match to rate. I thought it was great but some of the cutesy spots were too ridiculous. Cesaro was the best guy in the match and it's not even close. He had so many impressive power spots and nasty exchanges I can't remember all of them. The powerbomb to Christian into the pod might be the standout. Sheamus and Christian were both great in this and probably the number two and three guys overall. I loved Christian's aggression early on and him taking stupid bumps. The frog splash was great. Sheamus brogue kicking the pod to get Orton was the spot of the match. His exchanges with Cesaro were incredible. Bryan was great at times and annoying as hell at other points. His no selling became evident towards the end. Cena was good and I loved how he countered the gutwrench into his frankensteiner. Cesaro submitting was fucking terrible. That guy shouldn't be giving up. It really bothered me. The last two eliminations were really predictable. Bray-Cena could be good at Mania. Bryan kicking out of the first RKO was a great near fall. His small package near fall was good too but after that it the fun went away. Great match but with some serious booking flaws. Shield-Wyatts crushed it.

I'm asking you what better matches have happened this year and you refuse to answer. But I am happy to elaborate. I mentioned the pacing before. There seriously wasn't a dull moment in the match. I realize that each guy got his own individual down time throughout the match, but the way they structured the match meant the overall effect was a pretty frenetic pace. And not just frenetic pace for the sake of frenetic pacing -- I really felt like there was a logical progression from moment to moment.

The great thing about War Games in the 80s was that it was a series of heel beatdowns followed by babyface saves over and over. Call that the standard NWA emotional climax, since those moments always tended to be pretty heated when they happened outside of War Games. This felt like the modern equivalent, just a nonstop barrage of back-to-back standard emotional climaxes in big WWE matches where the tide turns and they start going to the finishing stretch. The match felt like a gigantic WWE main event finishing stretch from start to finish.

Add in that I was impressed at how Cena and Cesaro managed to work such excellent sequences without repeating anything from their RAW match. Add in that I loved the Orton/Sheamus brogue kick thing, because Orton thought he had outsmarted everyone. He had, but he also outsmarted himself. Add in the awesome stuff with Daniel Bryan and the selling of his injured shoulder. Add in the way they positioned Cesaro as ready to hang with the top guys. Add in that Christian was really the perfect utility player for a match like this because he can bring the action and he doesn't need to be protected. Add in the sense of history in the final four moment where they nodded to the Cena/Cesaro, Bryan/Orton and Cena/Bryan rivalries with just a few simple overtures. So yes, I would rank it that high.

And yes, whether you really are an asshole or not, that post resembled someone incapable of civil discourse when they see something they don't agree with.

I think it's great to see Charles' excitement in watching stuff in real time while following the weekly product which is something he's just getting back into. I do think that the WWE has been as good as it is now or close to it for much of the last few years, certainly since 2011 and maybe a year or two earlier. Probably not exactly on a weekly level since the 3 hour Raws have allowed for a lot more good matches, but if you factor the C shows maybe. That might be where some of the disconnect is coming.

I'd put the Chamber match as the second best on the show and the third best in the past week. It was very good, but the ending killed it. Not just Orton winning again, but the complete overbooking. Guys interfering in cage(-type) matches is also a big peeve of mine.

Edit: I should add, having the third best match in a week is not a slight since the other two are neck-and-neck for my MOTY.

I'm actually surprised that it's viewed as a disconnect. I've spent most of my viewing time trekking through the 1990s the last few years, looking at all promotions globally during that time. And multi-person matches worked like that were all the rage in the 1990s (and 1980s) when they were worked in New Japan or JWP. This match reminded me in some ways of those -- not necessarily as high end, but wrestled in the same spirit where the mindset is just to nod to history, keep the action going and provide a long series of emotional payoffs back to back. Those types of matches used to be the types that people looked to fondly and in a special way, so I'm not sure how this is any different.

Yes, I have viewing gaps the last few years, but I'm interested in how what we consider special and something that stands out from the pack has changed. This exact same match happening on a WWF show in 1994 would be iconic and something we still discuss fondly 20 years later.

It's just that the pack has changed a lot over the last few years, I think. I'd put the cut off point at 2011 with the Punk vs Cena and the Christian/Orton feud and then Henry/Show/Bryan fueding towards the end of the year, which rolled into 2012 with things like Brock vs Cena and the Sheamus/Bryan 2/3 falls match and Cena/Punk rematches and a brief Bryan/Punk feud and Mark Henry off and on doing great things, which then rolled into 2013 with the Shield and a thousand six mans and Henry vs Cena and the rise of Cesaro first in the mid card having miracle matches with Kofi and Miz and then the Rhodes bros teaming and etc. etc.

I've been watching 1994. I like it well enough, but we're not there anymore. We're spoiled beyond belief and I'm glad you've made it to the party.

If the point is that when I catch up on all things WWE from 2011-2013, there is no way I'll see this match at the level I currently do, then I can accept that. We'll see if that's the case when I do catch up. But if that's the case, it makes me wonder if WWE so far this decade has had the best in-ring run of any promotion in history except for 90s All Japan. Is that a ridiculous case to make? I don't see anyone making that case, though.

If this is a fairly common standard for high-end matches, that's a very, very high standard to maintain. My hats off to WWE if they're able to do it more often than not. It's exciting that great matches are that plentiful in the modern scene. About a decade ago when I started fading out of following everything week-to-week, that wasn't the case at all. And while Dylan praised 2010-2011 WWE immensely at the time, it didn't seem like there was a larger movement. So if that's indeed true, I'm puzzled because it seems like something everyone would be excited about.

Hey guys it's Loss' opinion. If he think The Elimination Chamber 2014 is the #3 match in WWE history then good for him. Differing opinions are cool and that's what makes this board rule. Just like I think that (mexico based) Lucha sucks, that Jerry Lawler and Buddy Rose are vastly overrated workers here, that Dynamite Kid is one of the best pound for pound workers of all time and that TNA has had some of the Top 10 best matches in the past 25 years. I think he may be caught up in the excitement of the night of course(since the 6 man was ****3/4, EC would be *****). It's hard for me to fathom it being better than Cena-Punk MITB, Cena-Brock, Brock-Punk, Savage-Steamboat, Bret-Hennig KOTR, Austin-Rock WM17, Taker-Shawn HIAC & WM 25, Brock-Eddy or any of my top 20 WWE matches of all time BUT any given show can create the GOAT match.

Anyway I value his opinion and am super pumped to check out these two top matches. And Batista-Orton be damned, I'm excited for Mania. Crazy that Batista is only 3 years younger than Hogan was in 2002 when he became champion.