Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #61 - Wrestlewar 91

The dream has been realized! Parv and Chad are back reviewing WrestleWar 1991.

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-61-wrestlewar-1991/

vlcsnap_2014_05_06_23h50m55s148.png

10_Terry_Owens_football_card.jpg

In this episode:

- [14:30] Wrestling Observer and PW Torch roundup: Flair gets scalded by coffee in McDonalds, farewell to Sandy Scott, the amazing Terry Owens Football Card, and Big Josh's debut.

- [1:02:20] Wrestlewar 1991 review: Can JYDs waistline get any bigger?, our first look at Dustin Rhodes, Dusty's gonna b-b-b-bite ya, Stan Hansen tells Missy Hyatt to get her "big butt" out of the locker-room, Sexy Lexy puts in a great performance, and WARGAMES!

- [2:13:30] End of show awards and Question for the Listeners: Did Oliver Humperdink / Big Daddy Dink ever do anything worthwhile or memorable in his career?

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Good show guys. Do you have any more information on the Jim Ross apology? What exactly did he say at the Clash that was so bad? On what television show was it that he apologized? Just curious. That sounds like something that would be interesting to watch.

Sadly, I don't know more about Miki Handa.

So glad to see this back! Thoughts as I go...

- Any plans to review the Dome PPV show? With the title match drama in the main event, I think it'd be an interesting show to touch on.

- Jimmy Jack Funk = Jesse Barr, who was another Portland product.

- I think the WWF wanted exclusivity on the Meadowlands, the way they did on MSG, which is why they pulled out (which can't have been for long).

- The Lisa Olson/Patriots locker room incident was a HUGE deal, one of those stories like Donald Sterling today that transcended sports. Almost killed football in Boston entirely.

- Dittos on the uselessness of 6-man belts, of any kind. Even in Texas. Was any World Class fan seriously thinking, "Well, Hayes and Gordy betraying Kerry and costing him his rightful World title was one thing, but now that the SIX-MAN TITLES are involved..."

- When I think of Georgia's #1 guy, I personally think of the Mr. Wrestlings. Tommy Rich also, but in terms of "building the Omni" (which opened in 1972) I think of I and II.

- OT, but hasn't Jeremy Clarkson gotten into hot water before? My familiarity with him comes from QI moreso than Top Gear, but I know he's a polarizing figure. That's sort of what happened to Sterling--not just the remarks, but the known pattern of them going back to various discrimination lawsuits.

- Yamazaki was a Bomb Angel, but I don't think Meiko Satamura was. Noriyo Tateno was the name of the other one and I don't think they're the same person. I don't know much more about joshi than what I've seen on the Yearbooks but I have no clue who Miki Handa is, or whether or not I've seen her.

- Isn't asking for El Gigante to do something a "be careful what you wish for" type situation?

- I love, love, love the contrast in reactions to Hansen/Vader between JR and Dusty. JR sounded legit pissed, I agree, and Dusty is acting like it's the most fun he's ever had.

- I haven't seen them in awhile, but as far as singles matches go I think the only Spivey bouts worth mentioning outside of WrestleWar is the 6/5/89 match with Sting, and a match with Kawada in...I can't remember, but I think it's the spring of '91. Having a really good match with '90s Kawada is less impressive than it sounds, and the Sting match is good especially considering it's Sting in an unfamiliar-at-the-time Japan setting, but the Luger bout has an argument for being better than both.

- Grizzly Smith is indeed the guy at the U.S. title presentation.

- I'm sure the WarGames finish was booked. The "improvisation" thing is Scott Keith baloney, I'm pretty sure.

- I think Humperdink's best run was in Florida, where he was a major heel manager. There's a killer angle that I don't know is on Youtube anymore or not, involving Gordon Solie and a secret workout. I can't seem to find it, but I'll keep looking. The House of Humperdink stuff in Florida and Mid-Atlantic is well-regarded by fans of that era.

- Oh, here's the ad hoc production meeting about the Supershows. I agree that the other Supershows (as well as Kollision in Korea, outside of the crowd size and rather insane backstory) aren't all that vital. The first one is worth watching.

Trying not to step on the board rules here, but search on the world's most popular video-sharing site for Gordon Solie interviewing Humperdink & Muraco, and you'll find the angle I referred to. It turns into a hot segment and a pretty compelling piece of television.

Thanks for all the comments. This felt like a show where we needed some help filling in the lines on some stuff.

Loss, Ross mainly apologized for his comments during the arm wrestling match between Paul E and Missy at the Clash. I am not sure what tv show he apologized on or even if he did it as a "hotline" exclusive.

Meltzer reports the Ross apology in the 25th February 91 issue. He did it on TV on a Sunday, which seems like 02/10/91.

That looks like this edition of Main Event.

The Main Event - 2/10/91:

Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin vs. WCW Tag Team Champions Doom

Tommy Rich vs. Tom Burke

Sid Vicious vs. Brian Worley

Tom Zenk vs. Terry Taylor

Find it funny that Graham notes this:

- 2/91: WCW World Champion Ric Flair was hospitalized for sustaining third-degree burns after having coffee spilled on him at McDonald's. Flair was scheduled to miss a week but missed only one or two days.

Ha ha

All hail the return of the greatest WCW podcast around!

As for Humperdink, I side with Chad and Parv here. Watching that piece of footage, is he really that good? Every manager I love brought something unique, there was never quite anyone like Bobby Heenan, Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, JJ Dillon, Gary Hart, Tammy Sytch/Sunny, or even a Skandor Akbar (though I've seen very little of Sheik Adnan). But Humperdink sort of strikes me as a generic madman.

Actually the comparison to Akbar seems valid. Both were around their favorite territories for years and are fondly remembered but never struck me as the top villain in the way Bobby Heenan was, and both could have left without everything falling apart IMO

And now thanks to the network I can watch every Clash and PPV as I listen to the podcast.

As for Humperdink, I side with Chad and Parv here. Watching that piece of footage, is he really that good? Every manager I love brought something unique, there was never quite anyone like Bobby Heenan, Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, JJ Dillon, Gary Hart, Tammy Sytch/Sunny, or even a Skandor Akbar (though I've seen very little of Sheik Adnan). But Humperdink sort of strikes me as a generic madman.

Actually the comparison to Akbar seems valid. Both were around their favorite territories for years and are fondly remembered but never struck me as the top villain in the way Bobby Heenan was, and both could have left without everything falling apart IMO

I'm not going to go to bat for him as the Great Lost Manager but I think Humperdink is a guy who suffers from lack of footage. Florida is where he really made his name and we really just have bits and pieces to see now. That said, as much as I like that angle with Solie, in the end I have to admit it's more of a great Solie performance (he sells the serious-journalist bit really well) with a Humperdink cameo than a truly great Humperdink angle.