Pro Wrestling Only

Famous fans

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I just old or are those not really celebrities?

I saw Chris Hero in there.

There's Macaulay Culkin, Seth Green, Haley Joel Osment (The I see Dead People kid) and Arquette that would count as actual celebrities and not just vaguely famous. Unless you're referring to the people playing the roles of various wrestlers, where you'd have a point. They're more internet famous I guess, in the nerd fandom.

Mountain Goats' Beat the Champ drops April 7th and is pretty incredible. I'd be hard pressed to name cooler art that anyone's made "about" wrestling. Even just musically speaking, this is the best Darnielle guitar of his career, and Jon Wurster's never sounded better on drums. Kind of an amazing achievement if you're a fan of both wrestling and good music.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/29/395108044/first-listen-the-mountain-goats-beat-the-champ

"The Ballad of Chavo Guerrero" and "Heel Turn" are now both on Spotify.

I interviewed him a few weeks ago, and it was a bit amusing since he briefly mentioned the Apartment Wrestling ads in old pro wrestling magazines. So hoping he writes something about that subject in the future.

Loved the album, initially overlooked "Unmasked" but came to really love that track. So good. Also "The Ballad of Bull Ramos" is a sweet little tribute.

Got to see the Mountain Goats live Tuesday night. My wife was dying when she heard the Dusty Rhodes "Hard Times" promo before they came out.

I was super excited to get to meet Darnielle after the show. He signed my copy of The Sunset Tree and I got to tell him how cool it is that Al Madril has been name-checked in a song in 2015. I had on a Macho Man t-shirt and he told me he loved it.

Great show with a nice selection of stuff off the new album and many old faves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

British singer/songwriter Sam Duckworth, formerly known as Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, is a big wrestling fan. I know he did a couple of Spin Cycle's for TNA on their UK tours, and the video for "The Real McCoy" (a song about Kid McCoy) featured Austin Aries and Alex Shelley wrestling in black-and-white.

I once DJed a show he was headlining in London, and knowing the above, played Mark Henry's ring music as he came onstage, which he enjoyed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Fez from the Ron and Fez show is a huge fan. His on air name is Fez Marie Whatley which he admits he based on Pistol Pez Whatley. He also would talk numerous times on air about Florida wrestling in the 70a.

Don’t know how I just saw this now but, yeah, there was a lot of wrestling influence in general on R&F. Fez would do Flair promos all the time. Ron was/is a big fan of carny stuff. They also did the whole East Side Dave “Midnight Rider” saga that was probably my favorite thing ever.

The “ECW Zombie” was a big fan of the show, as well. I miss Ron & Fez.