Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair

Grimmas

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reign number three is the whopper for me. It was the longest run he had as NWA champ (2+ years) and while it's not something said very often about him, I thought for years that Ric Flair's 1985 was the best year a wrestler had ever had. I have seen far more stuff since and I'm not sure I still feel that way, but it is absolutely a year still in the conversation. This is where I truly think Flair becomes a GOAT contender - maybe not the runaway number one he'd eventually be considered by many, but by now, he is firmly in the conversation. I'll put my favorite matches in blue again.

16 days and no title (05/07/84 - 05/23/84)

Flair does a few clean jobs in the window between title reigns.

Ric Flair vs Michael Hayes (05/07/84, WCCW)

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (05/11/84, WCCW)

Ric Flair vs Harley Race (05/22/84, AJPW)

World title reign #3 (05/24/84 - 07/26/86)

Winning and losing the title

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (05/24/84, AJPW)

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (07/26/86, JCP, Cage Match)

All Japan

Ric Flair vs Genichiro Tenryu (09/12/84)

Ric Flair vs Riki Choshu (04/23/85)

Ric Flair vs Jumbo Tsuruta (04/24/85)

Ric Flair vs Jumbo Tsuruta (10/19/85)

Ric Flair vs Rick Martel (10/21/85)

Ric Flair & Rick Martel vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu (10/22/85)

AWA

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (09/28/85)

Ric Flair vs Nick Bockwinkel (01/16/86)

Central States

Ric Flair vs Harley Race (07/19/84)

Florida

Ric Flair vs Scott McGhee (10/28/84)

Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel (09/02/85) - Battle of the Belts I

Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (02/14/86) - Battle of the Belts II

Georgia

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (06/16/84)

Hawaii

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (02/13/85) - 60 minute draw

Memphis

Ric Flair vs Koko Ware (11/18/85)

Mid Atlantic

Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat (05/29/84) - Big Meadowlands show

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (11/22/84) - Starrcade

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (06/15/85) - 10-minute challenge from TBS

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (07/06/85) - Great American Bash

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (08/11/85) - Omni

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (11/28/85) - Starrcade

Ric Flair, Arn & Ole Anderson vs Magnum TA, Dusty Rhodes & Manny Fernandez (12/15/85) - TV

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (12/28/85) - TBS TV

Ric Flair & Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes & Magnum TA (12/28/85) - Handheld

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (01/04/86) - Handheld

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (02/02/86) - Superstars on the Superstation

Ric Flair & Arn Anderson vs Ron Garvin & Dusty Rhodes (02/22/86) - TV

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (02/23/86) - TV, World Pro

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (03/09/86) - Handheld, Matinee

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (03/09/86) - Handheld, Evening

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (03/30/86) - Handheld, Cage Match

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (04/04/86) - Handheld

Ric Flair & Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes & Wahoo McDaniel (April 1986) - Handheld, Bullrope Match

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (04/12/86) - TBS TV

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (04/19/86) - Crockett Cup

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (05/10/86) - TV, First 15 minutes made air

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (05/24/86)

Ric Flair vs Robert Gibson (05/25/86) - TV, World Pro I believe

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (06/07/86) - TV

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (June 1986) - Handheld, 35 minutes of 60 minute draw

Ric Flair vs Road Warrior Hawk (07/01/86) - Bash

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (07/05/86) - Bash, Cage match from Horsemen DVD

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (07/11/86) - Bash, Cage match from World Pro TV

Mid South

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (08/24/84)

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (12/02/84) - Matinee

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (12/02/84) - Evening

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (04/27/85)

Ric Flair vs Terry Taylor (04/28/85)

Ric Flair vs Terry Taylor (05/03/85) - Houston

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (05/04/85)

Ric Flair vs Terry Taylor (06/01/85) - Superdome

Ric Flair vs Butch Reed (06/24/85) - Superdome

Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel (07/26/85) - Houston

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (07/27/85)

Ric Flair vs Butch Reed (08/10/85) - 60-minute draw

Ric Flair vs Butch Reed (10/11/85)

Ric Flair vs Butch Reed (11/06/85 taped) - TV

Ric Flair vs Ted DiBiase (11/06/85 taped) - TV

Ric Flair vs Jake Roberts (11/24/85)

Ric Flair & Dick Slater vs Butch Reed & Jake Roberts (12/18/85) - TV

Puerto Rico

Ric Flair vs Hercules Ayala (09/21/85)

Portland

Ric Flair vs Billy Jack Haynes (10/20/84)

Ric Flair vs Billy Jack Haynes (05/21/85)

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (09/24/85)

PWUSA

Ric Flair vs Harley Race (02/24/85) - Meadowlands show

St. Louis

Ric Flair vs Bruiser Brody (11/16/84)

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (01/25/85)

Ric Flair vs Kevin Von Erich (05/12/85)

World Class

Ric Flair vs Chris Adams (11/09/84)

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (12/25/84)

Ric Flair vs Terry Gordy (01/11/85)

Ric Flair vs Kevin Von Erich (05/05/85) - Parade of Champions

Even the people who are heavily criticizing Flair are most likely still going to have him in their top ten so there's no reason to get too worked up about it. When factoring out who is number one, competition gets really tight and you've got to take every thing into account.

To the people who brought up Michael Jordan; yeah the Wizards years aren't counted against him, but if Jordan had spent 12+ years of his career playing with them then they definitely would have.

Some of the problem is that it takes a long time to watch a lot of Ric Flair matches. I put him at the top of my priorities, but even in what I've been able to watch in the last week, I ended up with clipped versions of long matches and I've only made it through even four of those, because I have so much else to watch, so I've got a ways to go. The argument ought to be more interesting in two years after everyone's revisited the things on the list that Loss has posted. Right now mostly everyone just has incomplete notions to work off of.

Is not the problem, Loss, that, at this point, people have to argue Flair out of the #1 spot (well, certainly out of a Top 10 spot, though I'd imagine most people will have him at least that high) rather than for it?

I don't think everyone has them in their de facto number one spot, nor do I think he has to be in that spot on everybody's list. I do think his case gets taken for granted though, so I'm trying to go through it so people realize he had a case even before the Steamboat or Windham series ever happened, and that's usually where his hat is hung. If I wasn't trying to finish an e-book in this lifetime, I'd take the time to review each individual match.

But when it comes to comparing the best days ever, there's that other guy who had almost the exact same day minus the foot injury and plus he met his future wife. Man, that's got to be THE best day ever.

Here's a question though: who did have a career comparable to Flair?

Jack Brisco was NWA champion for 2 years and was so burnt out that he literally couldn't continue in the role. Terry Funk has said that the toll from being on the road as traveling champ was something he couldn't have done for much longer than he did. Flair did it arguably for 10 years, and definitely for 6.

Dory Funk Jr and Jack Brisco were both "pure wrestlers", insomuch as they carried the title primarily in terms of being credible guys. Those two were not the most charismatic guys in the world, and they drew based mainly on the idea that they were the best wrestlers in the world and because they were champ. Flair did that.

Terry Funk and Harley Race had more charisma and character. They relied on it as much as they relied on credibility. They would go into towns and bump around against local heroes, getting involved in short-term angles, cutting promos and so on while they were in the territory. Flair did that.

If you stop his career right at the start of 1986, you could argue that Flair had equaled or bettered each of the previous four NWA champions in their own areas of strength. He had the wrestling ability and credibility of Dory Jr/ Brisco; he had the charisma and crowd control of Funk; he had the bumping and stooging abilities of Harley Race. It's almost like the evolution of what the NWA champion should be led directly to what Flair was.

This is without going into 87-9 or anything he did in the 90s.

The question is: who else had "the exact same day" as that? Who else even had a day that is remotely comparable to that?

That's the question to focus on first.

Loss their is another match you can add to your list. It's 6/24/85 from New Orleans. It was supposed to go on the Mid-South 80's but was accidently left off. This is what I said about it in the nominating process.

It's another Flair and Reed match and I decided to nominate it. This match was the appetiser to set up the big one in the Supdome. Both guys work a pretty good match here. Reed's early arm work on Flair was really cool. At one point Reed had Flair in a hammerlock and was lifting Flair in the air. This was similar to Steamboat's double arm chicken wing in 89 except Reed was using one arm. I loved how Reed when he came out of the corner he would cover up like a boxer. Flair drops a beutiful looking knee drop on Reed's head. Flair also uses a nasty looking belly to back suplex on Reed. Flair also does a nice job working Reed's leg. Flair's stomps on Reed's knee looked so painful. The finish was what it was, but I loved how the camera followed Reed to the back where you got to see Reed bitching at the ref.That was cool because athletes all the time bitch at refs, or umps.

Title reign number four is when Flair became more of a company champion instead of the traveling NWA champ. He still had moments where he did go outside of JCP to defend the title, but they were far more rare. Baba was using Flair less and the NWA was falling apart, so he's mostly champion of one company by this time.

I will also point out something about this time period that is forgotten. Flair was wrestling on a broken neck for a few months. The break wasn't severe enough that he couldn't wrestle, but it was bad enough that he needed to wrestle mostly tag matches and not do a marathon of defenses over the Great American Bash like he did in 1986.

Two whole weeks and no title (07/27/86-08/08/86)

Ric Flair, Arn & Ole Anderson vs Rock & Roll Express & Magnum TA (08/03/86) - World Pro, Elimination Match

Title reign #4 (08/09/86-09/25/87)

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (08/09/86) - Flair title win, not available in full but seems to be more angle-driven

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (11/27/86) - Starrcade

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (01/04/87)

Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (01/13/87) - Impromptu match

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (01/17/87) - Supertowns on the Superstation

Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (01/20/87) - Worldwide, TV time limit draw

Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (04/11/87) - Crockett Cup. I suggest everyone watch the full handheld version, as the comm release doesn't do this match justice.

Ric Flair vs Jimmy Garvin (07/11/87) - Great American Bash cage match

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (09/25/87) - Cage match from WWW. Flair loses the title.

Tag matches & Multi-Mans

Ric Flair & Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes & Nikita Koloff (11/08/86)

Ric Flair, Arn & Ole Anderson vs Rock & Roll Express & Dusty Rhodes (Dec 1986) - Cage Match

Ric Flair & Lex Luger vs Dusty Rhodes & Nikita Koloff (05/23/87) - TV

Ric Flair & Lex Luger vs Ron & Jimmy Garvin (06/25/87) - TBS TV

War Games (07/04/87)

Four Horsemen vs Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes & Nikita Koloff (07/10/87) - Handheld, Non-War Games 8-man tag

War Games II (07/31/87, Miami)

Momentary departures from JCP

Ric Flair vs Steve Keirn (08/13/86, Florida)

Ric Flair vs Lex Luger (09/01/86, Florida) - Battle of the Belts III, 2/3 falls, first Flair-Luger match

Ric Flair vs Miguel Perez (09/20/86, Puerto Rico)

Ric Flair vs Invader I (09/21/86, Puerto Rico)

Ric Flair vs Yoshiaki Yatsu (03/07/87, AJPW)

Ric Flair vs Tiger Mask (Misawa) (03/09/87, AJPW) - Not sure if this is available in full

Ric Flair vs Jumbo Tsuruta (03/10/87, AJPW)

Ric Flair vs Hiroshi Wajima (03/12/87, AJPW)