Pro Wrestling Only

Hiroshi Tanahashi

Grimmas

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Incredible "big match" wrestler. Almost never lets you down in a title match or in a big G1 match. He's had a silly amount of MOTYCs since 2007 just churning them out year after year. Only detraction for him (and honestly it's probably been a smart move on his behalf) is that in your regular run of the mill tour shows he generally just does his trademark stuff (especially in tags) and it's rarely anything worth seeing. The live crowd enjoy it though as he's so charismatic.

Maybe the best "big match" wrestler of all time. In the conversation at minimum. His match structure and ability to peak his matches at just the right time are elite level. A big Tanahashi match never runs long or feels like it never ends.

When was the last time he had a big title match or main event or major G1 bout that wasn't great? The guy just delivers time after time, like a machine. I can't even think of the last bad big match he's had. He's probably never had one.

Maybe the best "big match" wrestler of all time. In the conversation at minimum. His match structure and ability to peak his matches at just the right time are elite level. A big Tanahashi match never runs long or feels like it never ends.

Holy fucksticks.

Almost every Tanahashi main event feels too long to me, because usually everything between the opening gambit and the big finishing run is boring as hell and inconsequential, I start thinking about what to have for dinner, then I realise I'm getting distracted and think maybe I shouldn't bother with another 25 minutes of this shit if I can't even concentrate on it, and then oh hey! Finishing run! Pops! Woo!

It's mostly the Okada matches I'm thinking of with this. I think there was only one of their matches that I didn't get bored with halfway through. It's not often I make this point, but every one of their matches would be improved by cutting out 10 minutes. Admittedly this is also a symptom of modern puro main events in general because I feel that way about a lot of modern puro main events, but just woah.

I think that's one of his biggest problems. He works within the style of main events that he does, which for me handcuffs him. His match structure and execution is great, but it always leads to useless elbow/slap exchanges and endless nearfalls instead of following what is usually a good to great first 15-20 minutes. If you like that kind of ending tacked onto whatever match came before it, then he's fine for you. I don't care for it, but Tanahashi is easily one of the more entertaining guys over the later half of the 2000s and into 2014 as far as the New Japan guys go.

I like the first 15-20 minutes of his big matches alot. Especially in the case of the Okada ones. They set the stage for what is an epic closing stretch. The way they carry themselves, the way they carry the match with the pacing, it's beautiful to watch and it's beautiful to watch how the fans react to it. They often throw in some great little extra things too - for instance in one of the big title matches last year (pretty sure it was the October one) Tanahashi had an awesome heelish knee injury fake.

I like the first 15-20 minutes of his big matches alot. Especially in the case of the Okada ones. They set the stage for what is an epic closing stretch. The way they carry themselves, the way they carry the match with the pacing, it's beautiful to watch and it's beautiful to watch how the fans react to it. They often throw in some great little extra things too - for instance in one of the big title matches last year (pretty sure it was the October one) Tanahashi had an awesome heelish knee injury fake.

The thing that struck me about the Okada series, is how different each match was. You had the shocking Okada win in the first match, you had the match where Tanahashi worked over the arm trying to take away the Rainmaker (this was Invasion Attack if memory serves, which I went ***** on), the knee injury bluff Alan mentioned, the G1 30-minute draw, etc.

Tanahashi demonstrated this ability again with the recent series of matches vs Nakamura, which again were all very distinct in structure & layout, even more so than the Okada matches.

The thing that struck me about the Okada series, is how different each match was. You had the shocking Okada win in the first match, you had the match where Tanahashi worked over the arm trying to take away the Rainmaker (this was Invasion Attack if memory serves, which I went ***** on), the knee injury bluff Alan mentioned, the G1 30-minute draw, etc.

Tanahashi demonstrated this ability again with the recent series of matches vs Nakamura, which again were all very distinct in structure & layout, even more so than the Okada matches.

You both hit then nail on the head here. I haven't found any of his main events unnecessarily long but rather consistently building to hot finishing stretches with different focuses, be they the arm the Okada arm or G1 draw matches, the arm vs leg limb war vs. Suzuki or the Nakamura series this year.

I agree with dawho, he's one of the most entertaining New Japan guys in the last decade. I'm not enamored with his work like Joe or Meltzer but I'm also not down on him like other people. I think he's a very good wrestler that can be great at times and almost always shows up for big matches.

As far as current "Aces", I think Cena is better in almost every way. As far as current puro guys, I'll probably have Sekimoto ahead of him, but they are gonna be close.

No chance. The Okada 2013 King Of Pro Wrestling match made me hate pro wrestling for a couple of weeks. I never find him great, I often find him good in a particular format (~15 min singles matches that aren't overly ambitious) but I've found him appaling in big matches far too many times, especially in 2011.

The idea that Tanahashi wasn't in the top 50 workers in the world last year is a little hard to swallow. I mean I can understand him not being on someone's list of personal favourite wrestlers, but realistically speaking he would be in the top 50 workers in the world. It would be like leaving Manami Toyota or Shawn Michaels off a 1996 list.

The idea that Tanahashi wasn't in the top 50 workers in the world last year is a little hard to swallow. I mean I can understand him not being on someone's list of personal favourite wrestlers, but realistically speaking he would be in the top 50 workers in the world. It would be like leaving Manami Toyota or Shawn Michaels off a 1996 list.

When the best match I saw from him (I watched all the pimped ones) was the Invasion Attack match at 4 and 1/4, then it makes sense. Also, he was like 97 on the WKO poll, so I'm not alone.

To me, the matches just seem soulless. It's like they are done on a video game. Not to say he doesn't have some great matches though, but his overall style of match leaves a lot to be desired from me.

I'd leave Michaels off a top 50 1996 list.

Obviously, I'm going to have to watch at least a handful of Tanahashi matches for this project, but I'm not looking forward to it. I don't think he was awful last year, but I'm pretty sure he didn't make my top 100. I would have a hard time putting him on a list like this, but I'll at least give him a chance.

I doubt I would list Tanahashi but at the same time, think it's completely reasonable for him to pop up in some top 10s and top 20s. If you like what he does, he's been doing it at a high level for a long time now. He's earned a grudging respect from me in recent years. When it's time for him to perform on a big show, the guy works his ass off and absolutely carries himself like a star. I might not love the modern NJ main event style, but a lot of people do, and he played a big part in defining it. He's not some mindless twit reeling off moves; he's a performer who has to be reckoned with if you want to understand the state of the art in 2014.

In no particular order, and if I took a deeper look at the year there are probably wrestlers I would swap in/out plus more people I would rank ahead of Michaels,

Bret Hart

Owen Hart

Jeff Jarrett

Davey Boy Smith

Mankind

Psicosis

Juventud Guerrera

Jushin Liger

Rey Misterio Jr.

Damian 666

Ultimo Dragon

Shinjiro Otani

Aja Kong

Kyoko Inoue

Manami Toyota

Meng

Johnny B. Badd/Marc Mero

Steve Austin

Vader

Brian Pillman

Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki

Goldust

Savio Vega

Mariko Yoshida

Megumo Kudo

Kenta Kobashi

Takao Omori

Gary Albright

Stan Hansen

Akira Taue

Mitsuharu Misawa

Toshiaki Kawada

Jun Akiyama

Yoshinari Ogawa

Sting

Steven Regal

Patriot

Too Cold Scorpio

Mikey Whipwreck

Genichiro Tenryu

Chris Benoit

Brian Christopher

Wolfie D

Jerry Lawler

Tracey Smothers

El Dandy

Silver King

Koji Kanemoto

Shinya Hashimoto

Eddie Guerrero

That sounds pretty reasonable for the most part, although I'm not that familiar with 96 as a whole. Do you really think Meng, Goldust and Ultimo are better that year? What I've seen of Goldust's first run was pretty poor and i can't believe that Michael's 'best year' is outshined by Ultimo who I've never seen as good.