• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/13/2023 at 10:57 PM, Jmare007 said:

July 4th at Korakuen Hall

Jun Kasai & El Desperado vs Jon Moxley & Homicide.

Now that's a match I never thought I'd ever see, let alone in a New Japan ring. Is this Kasai's first match in NJPW? I had so search in Cagematch and didn't find any.

It's the first time I'm enthusiastic about NJPW in like 3 years

Skewer spots are usually the best thing you could do in deathmatches without using exploding barbed wire ropes. They are way safer than basically every other major prop - lighttubes, razors, sickles, forks etc. 

People online were giving that match shit but it's honestly one of the tamest things they could have done. 

All timer G1 press conference. This new generation is working their characters with such passion, you can feel the desire of putting the company back to the top after the pandemic. Hopefully the tournament delivers both in ring and (specially) booking-wise, because these last few years have been awful in terms of booking most of the time. But now I'n hyped and want to give them another chance because of the cool young roster.

Notes from Eddie vs Shingo

Who knew Kingston was bilingual? Well, if you count grunting as a language. Loved the vocals early on.

Love seeing two guys who enjoy being tolchoked as much as these two.

Eddie needs a new finisher; it's like he grabbed one from the petrol station on the way to the match.

And a good time was had by all!

On 7/15/2023 at 10:12 AM, Dav'oh said:

They're really onto something with Yota Tsuji.

Yup. I kinda hated Kaito going for a regular tournament match approach (included almost the exact same leg work Narita did earlier in the show) instead of a heated interpromotional sprint because Yota was game for the latter and it could've a truly awesome match.

Tsuji vs Umino is my most anticipated match of the tourney for me. I really wanna see if Shota feels the urgency of stepping up now that Yota showed up and is the most ready of the younger guys to take the main event scene (it helps he's also almost 4 years older, but still).

On 7/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, Dav'oh said:

The Great OK(han) taking 99% of the match vs Okada is fine because I do find Okada's offence to be...wanting.

Gorgeous dropkicks, great finisher, but not much else. I was always bothered by that. I remember when he defended against Minoru some years ago and MiSu was just blasting him with slaps and forearms, Kazuchika responded with really soft strikes... and ended up winning the exchange!

Yeah I like that dude a lot. What I don't like is Kevin Kelly. Do the NJ brass actually listen to his commentary? Dude is constantly and casually shitting on wrestlers, their moves, the refs, the booking, the promoting, the quality of opponents for various people, and man does he bury the ever loving shit out of NOAH constantly. 

Just very unhelpful and unproductive 

22 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Yeah I like that dude a lot. What I don't like is Kevin Kelly. Do the NJ brass actually listen to his commentary? Dude is constantly and casually shitting on wrestlers, their moves, the refs, the booking, the promoting, the quality of opponents for various people, and man does he bury the ever loving shit out of NOAH constantly. 

Just very unhelpful and unproductive 

I don't understand why this bothers people so much. Isn't the concept of the "hometown commentator" shitting on the rival promotion a thing that goes back to the beginnings of televised wrestling? It's not for everyone I guess but it builds heat with both viewers and rival fans.

On 7/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, Jmare007 said:

Fucking hell Sanada sucks. Him holding the strap till WK is not justifiable.

He's not that bad. I think the new gimmick helps him a lot. I get mid-90s Bret Hart vibes from his current run. The fans seem to love him. I thought his match with Kaito was great.

41 minutes ago, Control21 said:

I don't understand why this bothers people so much. Isn't the concept of the "hometown commentator" shitting on the rival promotion a thing that goes back to the beginnings of televised wrestling? It's not for everyone I guess but it builds heat with both viewers and rival fans.

Sure, but his burying of NOAH goes into how they suck at booking and have no idea how to run a promotion and can't get their stars over, that the competition of the N1 isn't in the same league as the G1, and so on. And then you pair that with how he talks about NJ booking and you get a Sanada/Kiyomiya match where commentary talks about both how shitty NOAH is and how Sanada hasn't had any serious challengers but that's probably good because it gave Sanada some confidence as a champ, but also it would be a DISASTER if Sanada lost and it then took Sanada until the last 2 seconds to put away the guy.

But Kevin Kelly frequently just talks shit about NJ booking and promotion, in a very casual way, that I can't believe someone isn't listening to him call shows and be like "hey what the fuck man".

Kelly is fucking atrocious. Always going for the japanese commentary version.

So, what are the quarterfonals gonna look like? It seems Sanada and Okada are already in, and I suppose Ospreay, Shingo and Naito have to be there as well. Will Kaito make it to a rematch with Okada? Will Eddie Kingston make it, or will they go with Finlay instead? Who wins the whole thing this time (hopefully Naito)?