Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

I suppose Okada will get his win back against Danielson. Though politically this does not make that much sense. On the one hand is Okada not someone who gets hurt by losing to a US star (in North America), on the other hand it seems that Okada might leave New Japan anyway. If New Japan gets Danielson to do a job in the Dome, there are a lot of better candidates who would benefit from the rub (and I doubt that AD would refuse to lose to e.g. Umino).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, El-P said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/new-japan/njpw-joins-united-japan-pro-wrestling-industry-group-joint-event-announced

Well that is certainly something. I wonder how much concrete measures in term of working together will be made, but that's pretty much unheard of in Japan.

From the full press release it sounds like it's mainly about being an industry body rather than any kind of promotional alliance. They're doing a one-off joint show, but the main aim seems to be lobbying so that they get proper government assistance if they have to shut down in another pandemic.

9 hours ago, El-P said:

Taichii vs Kanemaru in a whisky bottle ladder match. Gedo be like "Hey, that Russo fellow had good ideas".

Yeah, well, Okada at Mania, why not after all.

It was goddamn awful but at least I made good use of the time and only let it serve as background material. That NEVER Trios Title main event was terrific though.

Apparently Ohbari has stepped down and Hiroshi Tanahashi has been appointed the new President of NJPW.

"After a meeting of New Japan Pro-Wrestling's board of directors and shareholders today, December 23, 2023, the following personnel change has been made in Company management.

Reason for personnel change: Alterations to management structure

Newly appointed officials: President & Representative Director: Hiroshi Tanahashi
Director: Hitoshi Matsumoto (Chief of Business Production, TV Asahi)
Director: Taro Okada (President & CEO, Bushiroad Fight) *Mr. Okada's position is on a part time basis

Effective December 23, Takami Ohbari and Michiaki Nishizawa will step down from their positions as President/Representative Director and Director respectively."

There will be a press conference on December 26, and Tanahashi will address the fans directly in his new role as President at Wrestle Kingdom.

45 minutes ago, Autistic Dragon said:

Okay I get that you're joking but is that something he'd actually do?

I mean, I don't think New Japan has gained anything significant out of that relationship. AEW wins most of their interpromotional matches -at best they can get the payback W, and most of the time it's not even in Japan, Okada beating Danielson is gonna be their biggest win in forever-, they very rarely lend main event talent for shows, they actually sign wrestlers that were important for New Japan and they haven't been able to come up with a useful excursion either.

New Japan Strong has been the one that has gotten to rip some benefits but they are such a small operation that it doesn't really matter.

At worst, they should sit with Tony and revise what the fuck is point (for New Japan) of having that working relationship.

The honest truth is that the relationship is primarily for AEW's benefit and any benefit to New Japan is basically a favor to them from AEW. But like I said previously, New Japan is simply isn't in AEW's league financially and thus has no leverage to dictate terms. If they don't like what AEW is offering them, they can end the partnership and then AEW will just take whatever they want from them and give them nothing in return.

The more interesting question is about the overall direction of the company booking wise, as Gedo seems like he's burned the hell out by now. Tanahashi basically saved NJPW with his own approach. Maybe he'll have a vision of what NJPW should be in the future that will demand Gedo to tweek his formula a bit, if not a lot. Or not at all. 

I do find it strange that Gedo hasn’t been replaced by someone like a Lyger or other big name of his ilk to book given the transition. Or even Tanahashi himself. Though you wonder if they wait post-WK to go that route. 

I do feel the Okada talk was more smoke than fire anyways; WWE seems like it would be tough to break through given how top heavy the roster is right now, and he can do AEW basically whenever already. Although he more than likely would get the Road Warrior Pop if he debuted at the Rumble. 

Just now, Timbo Slice said:

I do find it strange that Gedo hasn’t been replaced by someone like a Lyger or other big name of his ilk to book given the transition. Or even Tanahashi himself. Though you wonder if they wait post-WK to go that route.

I'm guessing Gedo still has quite a bit of power and pull backstage, although he's living off his rep by now considering some of the really bad choices made in the last 3 years. If anything, get rid of Dick Togo immediately, he's been called responsible for everything House of Torture and EVIL since the beginning of his ill-fated main event push.

It's weird that I, someone who cut my proverbial internet wrestling teeth watching low quality Realplayer vids of Japanese wrestling in the late 90s, completely forgot WK was tonight until I saw the live update pop up on the Observer site.

I did notice on the NJPW World app that the Japanese feed for the show has Sanada/Naito on the banner and the English feed has Okada/Danielson.

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Bryan looking like the happiest bastard on the planet for getting to finally have a big Dome match is heartwarming as fuck.

Yeah, the image of happiness right there on his one-eyed face. It was awesome to see. Match was awesome, surly Okada is the best. Tama vs Takagi, Hiromu vs Despy and the opening junior tag match were also terrific, and the three-way was an excellent garbage clusterfuck. President Tana vs ZSJ was very good, because it always is, at the very least. Main event was what it was, they had some issue at one point with Destinos but the ending stretch was great, and Naito being that charismatic mofo carried the whole thing the whole way through. The post-match run-in was infuriating at first by it actually had a reason, being giving SANADA the chance to save Naito and therefore get some of that rub. Naito got to end the show and it was a great feel-good moment indeed.

Tsuji and especially Umino losing was head-scratching at best (man, Narita being in House of Torture is such a kiss of death, what an horrible idea). The Nemeths showing up was kinda cool in a very much WTF is happening now way. It's not like I spent the last 15 years watching Dolph Ziggler matches, so at least whatever they do will be fresh to me.

As expected, Danielson vs Okada was much better with an actual story for them to sink their teeth in. Loved how the crowd reacting at every move Dragon pulled when hurting Okada's arm. I'm still not convinced they have good chemistry but this was much much better than the Forbidden Door matchup.

Watched the final minutes of the main event and gawd damn is Naito still over as fuck.

Fucking EVIL of all people showing up and Umino and Tsuji getting pinned. I fuking hate Gedo with a passion.