Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

Re: House of Torture, I could see someone having the mindset that an act that relies heavily on heel heat couldn't be fairly evaluated while pandemic restrictions were still in effect. Now that fans are allowed to fully cheer and boo, they do seem to be effective at drawing heat. Whether it's the kind of heat that draws money is another question.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That anniversary show was at best a big nothing and at worst depressing. They need to find some kind of hook ASAP. So far it doesn't look like rocket strapping any of the kids is even under consideration so I'm not sure what the plan is, but House of Torture up and down the card is not going to cut it.

3 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

That anniversary show was at best a big nothing and at worst depressing. They need to find some kind of hook ASAP. So far it doesn't look like rocket strapping any of the kids is even under consideration 

Out of curiosity, which of the "kids' do you think is ready to step up and lead NJPW as World Champion?

9 hours ago, Autistic Dragon said:

Out of curiosity, which of the "kids' do you think is ready to step up and lead NJPW as World Champion?

I'd opt for Tsuji, but don't know and don't think it really matters. Given the state of the roster and losses due to aging and contracts, I think its imperative that they present something fresh sooner rather than later.

Yeah, Tsuji seems like the one that could make the most of an out of nowhere title reign. But Shota could also get the belt and at least have a short "sink or swim" type of run were he at least learns some stuff. It worked with Jay White.

It's just deflating how uninterested New Japan is in building these young guys. They are acting like they have years to pull this off when reality screams otherwise. It also feels way more aggravating when acts that don't really deliver in the ring and have a bunch of middle of pack wrestlers are getting the spotlight.

20 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

This must be what watching this company fall apart in the early 2000s was like. You could even draw parallels between House of Torture and Makai Club. 

I thought the same thing watching the last show I watched. Very much so. 

20 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

On the bright side, Jack Perry apparently has a new finisher called the glass jaw, which is pretty amusing.

The day he comes back to AEW, Coach TK needs to clear the right to "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake as his new theme song. I'm actually legit interested in long term outsider heel Jack Perry, but no House of Torture at Forbidden Door, thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

Part of this seems like Tanahashi is trying to assess who would make sense as a booker given Gedo’s ideas are not drawing a dime right now. I say bring back Lyger and let him run with it. 

Give it to Nagata, or see if Akira Maeda wants the job.

That's the issue with replacing the booker. The guy you bring in may not work either. Jun Akiayama did okay in All Japan but he didn't grow them past the occasional show at Ryogoku. Is there any indication that he would be able to help New Japan? Liger has potential because he was the one booking the Jrs during the 90s boom. But whole knows if he could do it 30 years later. 

I think Gedo just needs to get off the pot with Yota Tsuji and Shota Umino. Tsuji is on the cusp and Umino is a little inauthentic in the role but he has something and the fans like him. Stop cutting them off by having them lose like you have options. 

On 3/9/2024 at 2:16 PM, Boss Rock said:

Just looking at some of the results of this tournament and this promotion looks COOKED. I mean maybe they'll make me eat my words and have Tsuji win the whole thing, but I'd be very surprised at this point.

Ha, it actually looks like Tsuji is going to win. I imagine it was supposed to be him and Finlay in the finals. But a universe where Goto wins a fourth cup only to lose the big one again is also very funny.

Sakura Genesis 2014 Full Card.

Main Event. IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

Tetsuya Naito(c) vs Yota Tsuji

NEVER Open weight Championship.

EVIL(c) vs Shingo Tahagi

Death Riders (Shota Umino & Jon Moxley) vs House of Torture (Ren Narita & Jack Perry)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship.

Sho(c) vs Yoh

IWGP Tag Team Championship

Bullet Club (KENTA & Chase Owens)(c) vs Bishamon (Hirooki Goto & Yoshi-Hashi)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

War Dogs (Clark Connors)(c) vs Catch 2/2 (TJP & Francisco Akira) vs Intergalactic Jet Setters (Kushida & Kevin Knight)

Just 5 Guys (SANADA. Yuya Uemura & DOUKI) vs United Empire (Jeff Cobb, Great O-Khan & Callum Newman)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi) vs War Dogs (David Finlay & Gedo)

El Desperado & Ryusuke Taguchi vs TMDK (Zack Sabre Jr & Kosei Fujita)

Apologies if this was already known but I've just been made aware New Japan will be hosting Resurgence on May the 11th in the Toyota Arena in Ontario California. It's just been announced that the 11,000 seat venue will see all three STRONG titles as well as the World title defended.

• 3 weeks later...

For all the talk of Naito being way past his prime, he sure had one hell of a long match against Yota Tsuji. And he's still over as fuck. I actively look forward to the Mox match next week-end.

Also, nothing can stop Takagi from having a great match, not even House of Torture fuckery. The EVIL match was another level of clusterfuckception with not one, but two gimmick referees and more House of Torture bullshit. Of course, it only works when at the end of the day, they get fucked, which was the case here. Funny how EVIL is actually a much better pro-wrestler than SANADA, it's just the gimmick that sucks.

Jack Perry with a beard doing the CM Punk elbow and Young Bucks trademark spots is total trollbait, and it's pretty fun. Time to bring his ass back home. 

Junior tag multi-team was a blast too.

And then, that Gabe Kidd promo would gave made Brian Pillman proud. That guy is already a great worker, he can be a major player.

Naito vs Mox for the IWGP title is promising. I could honestly see Mox winning and have a stint in Japan for a while.

Ishii vs Nemeth. Ishii is Ishii, so there's no way he doesn't have a great match with Nemeth, who just did have a great match with Alex Shelley in TNA.

Hiromu vs Mustafa Ali. Ali is just another kind of awesome. Terrific match on paper (although I'm never quite as high on Hiromu as most people it seems)

Stephanie Vaquer vs AZM. Vaquer shined last year against Mercedes. AZM is awesome. Maybe the title goes back to Stardom ? Anyway it goes, this is cool.

Kingston & friends vs Gabe Kidd & friends depends on who the friends are. But the premise rules.

So yeah, that NJPW US show looks like tons of fun, actually.