Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, I really wanted Omega vs Ibushi and I actually think it would've drawn better at the Dome than Jericho. This is still gonna be the biggest January 4th show in more than a decade most likely (in terms of legit paid attendance) and certainly the one with the most US exposure to date.

Jay White being groomed to be their next big gaijin star makes sense and I Iike his work so can't hate on that. But why not give the IC title to Ibushi and book White vs Tanahashi as just a singles "return" match?. I'm baffled Gedo doesn't give a proven draw like Kota a green light push given how they need a new star for the heavy division. Even if he can't commit long term, you just gave fucking Jericho a huge match, why not try to make the most money out of Ibushi while you can?

It's all about Naito's coronation though, It's fucking due.

I can't imagine Jericho vs Omega will be any good - if AJ couldn't get great matches out of Chris, him trying to keep up with Omega's go-go-go might get quite ugly. It'll be interesting to see critical response to it.

I'm way more interested to see how Meltzer rates the match than see that actual match itself. The wrestler he's a giant fanboy for vs. his WWE source, I don't think he goes less than *** even if the match is a complete train wreck.

I can't imagine Jericho vs Omega will be any good - if AJ couldn't get great matches out of Chris, him trying to keep up with Omega's go-go-go might get quite ugly. It'll be interesting to see critical response to it.

I'm way more interested to see how Meltzer rates the match than see that actual match itself. The wrestler he's a giant fanboy for vs. his WWE source, I don't think he goes less than *** even if the match is a complete train wreck.
He certainly never acknowledged how awful Jericho was in the Styles series.

This match is already 4 1/2 stars and hasn't even happened yet

This match is already 4 1/2 stars and hasn't even happened yet
Yup, that's my estimate as well.

It should be interesting how this changes things business wise, as you have to think Vince isnt too happy about this.

I'd be shocked if Jericho negotiated this without WWE knowing about it. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a sort of deal that leads to Omega working Rumble/Mania or even signing for Vince.

Honestly, I think it's worth it if only for the fact that there are a lot of casual fans out there who will be exposed to a different style of wrestling thanks to this announcement. Regardless of how I feel about Jericho's work, his name carries a significant amount of weight in the wrestling world: enough to take someone who watches only WWE and make them at least want to check out the 1/4 show.

Sure, the match probably won't be great but it was a surprising (truly) announcement that's got everyone talking. Creating a buzz and getting the product over in a way that makes people want to tune in. That's just good booking.

I'm actually quite excited for the top two matches. I'm invested in the Naito title win and Omega-Jericho is one of those freak show special attractions you just don't get to see anymore. It's exciting even though I don't expect a great match out of it.

Exactly. I think its pretty well booked show. They've done a great job building towards Naito's title win. I look at Jericho's appearance as one of those side show special attractions that make the Dome special. The 3 matches announced on the undercard I see as solid opportunities to build for the future.