Pro Wrestling Only

Podcast listening habits

cheapshot

I subscribe to 20+ podcasts, most which have more than 1 new episode a week. I find it really hard to listen to everything I want to, and now not having a long commute to work compounds this.

I find it very difficult to listen to spoken audio whilst trying to concentrate on something else otherwise I could probably listen to much more than I do.

Most of my podcast listening is via BeyondPod for Android due to it having the ability to auto download new episodes of shows.

I always prioritise WOR about other audio due to it being time sensitive, but then I just listen to something that peaks my interest. For example, this week it was the SuperShow with Parv, Will, Johnny and Steve.

I am just interested in others listening habits such as when/where they listen, how much content to they listen to etc.

Edit: I find Joe Gagne's Podmass articles a great help to decide what to listen to also.

I love pocasts and audiobooks. Its about an hour drive (door-to-door) from my house to my gfs. During that time I will catch up on a podcast. When I get home after work and start my 'down time' thats when I usually queue up a podcast or two. And I am known to fall asleep listening to a podcast or audiobook. A few laughs and 'oh that's interesting' and then its right off to la-la land. Right now I am subscribed to Chael's, Austin's, Joe Vs. The World, MLW, Justin Shapiro, Dune Reads Goosebumps, and The Art of Wrestling. I am always looking for new podcasts so if anyone has any recommendations- shoot them my way.

Edit: Also anything mundane usually makes me queue up the podcasts as I see it as 'downtime' eventhough I am doing something. Painting my room, dishes, cleaning, etc.

I'm a painter and decorator, working alone most of the time, so I can burn through absolutely sh*tloads of podcasts. When the product comes really hot and heavy I prioritise time-sensitive ones. It's easy to let Austin, Jericho, Cornette and JR build up for a few weeks.

Almost always get through Parv, Will and any other PWOers within the week they go up.

1 hour commute to work each way every day.

6-8 hours at work listening. If I do have to concentrate on something, I usually go to music and I mix in spotify music for 1-2 hours a day just as a change of pace.

Evening listening while walking the dog, feeding the baby, doing dishes.

I also have started listening at podcasts at 1.5 speed.

As a result, I listen to a whole lot of stuff.

For example, three weeks ago I randomly started going back through the PTB Vintage Vaults. I am now up to WM 12 so that is about two pods a day of that and I have been caught up on everything else.

My current rotation is:

1. All PTBN-PWO pods

2. All PTB Network pods

3. VOW

4. Shake Them Ropes

5. CBS Fantasy Football Today

6. BS Report

7. Cornette/Austin/JR/Jericho when they have a guest I am interested in

8. Grantland Network NFL podcast

I feel very pushed for time these days and podcasts seem to build up and build up in my ipod. Between trying to go to work and live my life, meet up with friends, watch stuff for my various shows, record and edit said shows, watch stuff for GWE project, and keep up with the EPL and now NFL, I'm finding that my week doesn't have much spare time. I am 3 weeks behind on watching The Apprentice, a TV show I usually watch every year. I feel like I'm constantly on "catch up" for everything, and am missing the windows for when the shows stop being available.

I listen to lots of podcasts outside of wrestling. Usually in the car, sometimes in the office, I like to go to cafes and listen to something having lunch or drinking a pot of tea or something ... For years I used to do a lot of listening playing Football Manager, but I'm not finding the time. Maybe it's because it is term-time right now and I'm rushed off my feet.

My non-wrestling rotation is currently:

1. Football Weekly - I've listened to this for years. Comes out twice a week and I listen after I've caught up with the week's football. Things as they are, it's typically Thursday after a weekend before I even have time to watch the EPL highlights. Then I'll listen to the two shows on the Friday.

2. The Football Ramble - these guys have good banter, I and listen to them after Football Weekly every week. I also sometimes listen to "The Game" but it's so dry and up its own arse that I often don't bother.

3. The Frank Skinner show -- I listen to this every week.

4. Mark Kermode film reviews -- I've really fallen behind on films this year and currently have a backlog of 23 episodes. For years, I listened to this every week, but you can see how I've slipped somehow. I also used to listen to Filmspotting, but I have 47 in build up and it looks hopeless to get back on it.

5. The Dice Tower -- I listen to this to keep up with what's going on in the board game world, but I get massive build ups here. I have something like 34 episodes backed up. I tend to dip in and out of these guys, because not everything they do is vital for me to listen to. But if there's something of interest, or a particular review I want to listen to, I'll listen.

6. The Pete Carroll Show - since I'm now a Seahawks fan, I listen to this after every game.

7. The Ross Tucker Podcast - this comes out 5 times a week and I tend to let the whole week "save up" and then listen to all of them before watching the NEXT week's NFL coverage. I typically watch the whole Seahawks game, and then highlights of all the others games. Tucker seems to be a constant companion in the car at the moment.

8. The Seahawkers Podcast - I also listen to these after each game, but am currently ... 3 weeks behind.

9. Philosophy Bites - I might go a few weeks between listening and then listen to a few at once. 10 shows in build up.

10. Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast -- Herring is a comedian and I was a big fan of his double act with Stewart Lee back in the day. He had a great podcast a couple of years back with a guy called Andrew Collins, but they fell out and stopped. But now he interviews other comedians and sometimes they are quite good. But he sometimes feels like an old girlfriend that I've split up with, or something like that. Currently 8 episodes in build up.

11. Sundays Supplement -- this is a weird podcast in which these two people, one a woman, one a man, go through some newspaper supplements. It has its own charm. 13 in build up.

12. Hypnobobs -- this guy did some excellent history of Batman stuff before and occasionally does other stuff of interest, but generally I pick and choose depending on what the topic is.

My wrestling rotation consists of:

- Austin, depends on the guest. I have 40 that I've not listened to in build up.

- Ross, ditto. 23 in build up.

- Cornette, ditto. 41 in build up including all the MLW shit I don't bother with at all.

- Wrestling Culture, typically every episode.

- PWO-PTBN shows that don't have me on them, although I'll typically skip stuff on current WWE/CMLL/whatever or on stuff that I have limited interest in (e.g. ECW)

- Then with other stuff I might check something out depending on the topic.

This list used to be a lot bigger, but I've given up on a lot of other shows for one reason or another. I've actually kind of screwed my wrestling podcast listening a bit because I tend to record shows with guys I'd want to listen to. So I love it when they do shows without me! (As I'm sure everyone else does, ha ha)

I currently listen to about 20 and its a task sometimes but I go on long drives to knock some out so I usually stay current. Right now I listen to:

Art of Wrestling

Chicago Bears All Access

The Chicago Bulls podcast

Clock Radio Speakers

Place to Be

Pwo/ptbn

Espn Fantasy Focus Football

Talk is Jericho

Both of Austins

Jim Ross

MLW

The Law

Combat Jack

Wrestling Observer

Juan Epstein

Wrestling Culture

You're Welcome with Chael Sonnen and

Dj Mike Rizzy

I believe I sub to 20 or so. I use Downcast and listen on my iPhone.

Used to prioritize WOR until I realized I can't stand them anymore (mainly Bryan) and let my WON sub lapse since I really don't give a shit about anything he covers at the moment. The only thing I really listened to at the end of my sub was DKP because I am a Justin Shapiro mark. So I listen to Joe vs the motherfucking World when he does a show, of course. Same for List 'em and Learn.

I always listen to the PWO/PTBN shows, though not really the main PTB show all that often since I fell way behind in the past year (I do plan on catching up one of these months - probably over winter). Wrestling Culture, too, of course. As well as the Lapsed Fan podcast. I really don't listen to anything for current wrestling anymore since I have been on a hiatus for a few months and don't feel like I care to hear about what is happening. I also listen to Austin when he has a wrestler on.

Also listen to Hardcore History with Dan Carlin, though they are sporadic.

I also listen to lots of NFL/Packers shows... If I fall behind, I just delete them since they are so much more time sensitive.

Ross Tucker

Grantland NFL

ESPN Football Today

Football Guys (fantasy football)

Green & Gold Today/Jason Wilde (Packers)

McGinn/Dunne Packers Podcast from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

CBS Fantasy Football Today

CBS Eye on Basketball

ESPN NBA Lockdown

Bucksketball

Brew Hoop (Milwaukee Bucks pods)

The Lowe Post/NBA After Dark (Grantland NBA)

BS Report if it's something I want to hear

Jalen & Jacoby if it's NBA

Over & Back NBA Podcast (and the other Hardwood Paroxysm shows)

Any time I'm in the car by myself (45 minute commute is a big chunk of this) I'm listening to either shows on the PTB feed or the PWO-PTBN feed. I'll mix in some retro video game collecting podcasts to switch it up.

Sometimes during the day, depending on the level of focus needed, I can burn through some shows as well. Sports shows are easier in that environment because you feel less like you're missing something if you focus on real work for a bunch of it.

What do I listen to?

I listen to these wrestling ones, all of them:

VOW

Wrestling Culture

PWO-PTBN Shows

Than any of these that look interesting:
PTBN
Steve Austin's

Chris Jericho's

Art of Wrestling

Chris Harrington's

As for non-wrestling, I always listen to:
Star Talk

The Non-Prophets

The Atheist Experience

CBC's The House

Then I cherry pick these ones for interesting topics:

Pop Culture Happy Hour

Marc Maron's WTF

Ear Biscuits

Comic Geek Speak

Filmspotting

That's about it.

My current podcast subscriptions:

Wrestling/MMA

Talk is Jericho

The LAW

Squared Circle Gazette

Sherdog Radio Network Rewind

Steve Austin Show

Ross Report

WON (mainly for Observer Live on Sundays and After Dark on Fridays)

Art of Wrestling (I don't listen to every show, but a good chunk of them)

MLW (mainly for the Cornette Show and Bauer & Pollock)

PWO-PTBN Podcasts

Non-Wrestling

Rachel Maddow

Rick Harrison's Pawn Cast (Only if it's a show that looks interesting)

We the People w/ Jesse Ventura (Only if there is an interesting topic he's discussing)

I listed to and from work, plus when I have "me time" after everyone else in the house has gone to bed as I usually stay up until about 12:30 every night.

Always looking for new and interesting shows to listen to as well.

I listen to..

Wrestling

Good Will Wrestling

P2BN PPV Reviews (With Justin and Scott)

Steve Austin Show

Wrestling with the Past

Wrestling Culture

Titans of Wrestling

Jericho's

Comedy

Bill Burr podcast

Comedy Bang Bang

Kevin Pollack Chat Show

Maron

Football

Football Sickness

Move the Sticks

Football Guys

Around the NFL

Basketball

Eye on Basketball

Film

Schmoes Know

PrettyMuchIt

99% of these are topic/guest and mood permitting. Don't have any that I HAVE to listen to when a new episode comes out.

Just on wrestling I listen to all the PWO-PTBN podcasts, VOW, Wrestling Culture, and the occasional pick from the main stream ones if Joe Gagne's comments on them sound interesting. Aside from that I listen to the Solid Verbal and Shutdown Fullcast every week to get my college football fills, plus a lot of their old episodes to fill the time. I listen to podcasts almost all day. If I'm commuting then they'll definitely be on. About the only time they're not is if I have to concentrate/focus on work.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrestling:

Titans of Wrestling

Pro Wrestling Supershow

The Jim Cornette Experience(skip the first 20 minutes or so)

Wrestling With the Past

Goodwill Wrestling

Steve Austin(I skip all the viewer mail/call-in shows)

Bauer and Pollack(skip the MMA talk)

When I like the guests:

Jim Ross

Chris Jericho

Roddy Piper

MLW

Comics:

Comic Geek Speak

Savage Fincast

Comedy:

The Best Show on WFMU

Seven Second Delay