Pro Wrestling Only

2015 MOTY contenders

shoe

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you could. I may have to start referring to you and shoe as Matt and Nick.

I don't want to be associated with Chad, Pete, or the Young Bucks.

Matt Denton On the Boards I'm okay with, because at least he's skilled at what he does.

Sasha vs. Becky is up there for best match of the year so far.

It will be interesting to see how people view it compared to Reigns/Lesnar.

I would say that this match is the second best WWE match of the year next to Roman vs Brock.

Both were intense, violent matches for today's standards but the context of the uncertainty of Reigns vs Lesnar on the biggest show of the year pushes a little bit more than Sasha vs Becky. (Even though you can make a case about both challengers getting pushes that you think for certain that they were going over the champion)

Sasha vs Becky is a solid **** where Brock vs Reigns was looking like the best mania main event ever before the cash in of Rollins.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the Royal Rumble Triple Threat and the Reigns vs Bryan match from Fastlane. I guess it's the fourth best match of the year in WWE which still isn't bad. Still a MOTY candidate.

Edited by jushin muta liger

I know I liked the big Bullet Club vs ROH 6 man tag and some New Japan tag better. It was a very good match, no bones about it, but for a match based mostly on limbwork it lacked direction in selling to truly reach greatness.

On Becky/Sasha, I am in the camp that thought it was a good match but not a MOTYC. With only a couple of exceptions, the execution was on point. I thought the structure was okay but wasn't a huge fan of the dueling arm work. Sasha working the arm fit and her stuff was generally good, but Becky's arm work felt out of place. I didn't think the match was appreciably better than other very good/not great matches (that also featured focused limb work) like Negro Casas/Maximo and TAKA/Hiro Tonai. I liked the match quite a bit, just didn't see as transcendent.

Becky's finish is a Fujiwara arm bar. In the buildup, she tried to tear Sasha's arm off and got her tap in non match situation. Her first move in the match was a hammerlock. The entire story of the first segment was Sasha avoiding Becky attacking her arm and until she found her own opening which happened to target the arm. Once Becky was able to consolidate an offensive advantage she attacked the arm and executed her gameplan climaxing with the Fujiwara armbar but Sasha was too close to the ropes. Becky deviated from her gameplan going for a high risk move to win the match but Sasha countered by attacking the arm leaving Becky prone to Sasha submission finish. How did it lack direction? How did Becky's arm work not fit? There was enough stuff to keep this from being perfect, it did feel choreographed at times and there was no great sense that Sasha would lose. Sasha sold the threat of arm work great early but late I would liked to see her sell how close she came to losing title. These are nit picks.

I don't mean to come off as confrontational nor do I think everybody has to think it is OMG MOTY. It is just I wrote this on my phone and I am not going to go back and edit for tone. :P So I would just like the detractors to elaborate.

Becky's finish is a Fujiwara arm bar. In the buildup, she tried to tear Sasha's arm off and got her tap in non match situation. Her first move in the match was a hammerlock. The entire story of the first segment was Sasha avoiding Becky attacking her arm and until she found her own opening which happened to target the arm. Once Becky was able to consolidate an offensive advantage she attacked the arm and executed her gameplan climaxing with the Fujiwara armbar but Sasha was too close to the ropes. Becky deviated from her gameplan going for a high risk move to win the match but Sasha countered by attacking the arm leaving Becky prone to Sasha submission finish. How did it lack direction? How did Becky's arm work not fit? There was enough stuff to keep this from being perfect, it did feel choreographed at times and there was no great sense that Sasha would lose. Sasha sold the threat of arm work great early but late I would liked to see her sell how close she came to losing title. These are nit picks.

I don't mean to come off as confrontational nor do I think everybody has to think it is OMG MOTY. It is just I wrote this on my phone and I am not going to go back and edit for tone. :P So I would just like the detractors to elaborate.

I absolutely get your points and what you said about Becky's offense gives me something to keep an eye out for on a rewatch. My biggest issue was that we got some great, focused arm work from Banks that was vicious and should've been a constant theme throughout the rest of the match. But then Lynch completely stopped selling it on her comeback and that really took me out of it. I still dug the match and thought it was very good and a terrific performance from Banks. But that's what keeps me from thinking about it as even near MOTYC level.

I said it lacked direction in SELLING, which you didn't even try to argue against. It was a good match. It could've been great had the limbwork been better or if they had bothered to create more struggle around the armwork by selling more dramatically.

Sabre Jr. vs Axel Tischer wXw 16 Carat Gold Tournament Night 1.

Sabre Jr is having a good year all over the world. The grappling early is well done. This is straight up mat wrestling Tischer after eating a couple of forearms nails Sabre with a big boot. Flying armbar by Sabre. Sabre Jr. was so crisp with his moves. Tischer going after Sabre Jr.s neck with high impact stuff was nice. Sabre Jr going after the arm was great. Their were a lot of nifty attempted submissions from both guys The finishing run of submissions and big moves was great. Tischer's no sell of the Dragon Suplex pissed me off a bit. The top rope spot was a tad sloppy . Sabre finally finishes it just about as nasty as a finish that I've seen. A couple of things kept this out of the rare air of matches. Even so I might have this in my top 10 right now. 4 1/4*

UPDATED – 5/31/15 – MAJOR UPDATES!
New additions in BOLD

NJPW
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi: Wrestle Kingdom 9 (*****)
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada: Wrestle Kingdom 9 (*****)
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tomoaki Honma: NJPW New Beginning in Sendai (****3/4)
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe: Wrestle Kingdom 9 (****1/4)
Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito: New Japan Cup Finals (****1/4)
Kota Ibushi vs. AJ Styles: Invasion Attack (****1/4)
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomoaki Honma: NJPW New Beginning in Osaka (****1/4)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata, & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Kazushi Sakuraba, & YOSHI-HASHI: Road to Invasion Attack 4/2
Karl Anderson vs. Tetsuya Naito: NJPW New Japan Cup 3/5 (****1/4)
Young Bucks vs. RPG Vice: Invasion Attack (****)
Kota Ibushi vs. Hirooki Goto: New Japan Cup Finals (****)
AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito: Wrestle Kingdom 9 (****)
reDRagon vs. Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters: NJPW New Beginning in Osaka (****)
Jushin Liger vs. Yohei Komatsu: BOSJ Korakuen 5/22 (****)
Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto: New Japan Cup 3/5 (****)
Tomoaki Honma & David Finlay Jr vs. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka: BOSJ Korakuen 5/30 (****)
Bobby Fish vs. KUSHIDA: BOSJ Korakuen 5/30 (****)
Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata: Wrestle Kingdom 9 (****)
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto: Wrestling Dontaku (****)
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles: New Beginning in Osaka (****)

Dragon Gate
Akira Tozawa vs. Kzy: Champion Gate in Osaka 2/28 (****1/2)
Masato Yoshino & Shachihoko BOY vs. Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kagetora: Gate of Passion 4/9 (****1/2)
Akira Tozawa vs. Dragon Kid: DEAD or ALIVE (****1/2)
Eita vs. Jimmy Kagetora: Open the New Year Gate 1/12 (****1/4)
Monster Express vs. Jimmyz vs. Mad Blankey vs. Dia Hearts: Glorious Gate 3/6 (****1/4)
Jimmyz vs. Millenials vs. Mad Blankey: DEAD or ALIVE (****1/4)
BxB Hulk vs. Uhaa Nation: Champion Gate in Osaka 3/1 (****1/4)
Akira Tozawa vs. Flamita: Glorious Gate 3/24 (****)
Big R Shimizu vs. Jimmy Susumu: Open the New Year Gate 1/16 (****)
T-Hawk & Flamita vs. Masaaki Mochizuki & Dragon Kid: Glorious Gate 3/6 (****)
BxB Hulk vs. Jimmy Susumu: Truth Gate 2/5 (****)

ROH
The Briscoe Brothers vs. The Kingdom: Winter Warriors Tour 2/21 (****1/2)
Roderick Strong vs. KUSHIDA: ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night One (****1/2)
Young Bucks & AJ Styles vs. ACH, Matt Sydal, & Cedric Alexander: ROH TV 2/14/15 (****1/4)
AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole: ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night One (****1/4)
The Briscoe Brothers vs. Matt Sydal & ACH: Winter Warriors Tour 1/31 (****1/4)
AJ Styles vs. Bobby Fish: Winter Warriors Tour 2/21 (****1/4)
Cedric Alexander vs. Kazuchika Okada: ROH/NJPW Global Wars Night One (****1/4)
AJ Styles vs. ACH: 13th Anniversary Show (****1/4)
The Kingdom vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Hanson: Winter Warriors Tour 1/31 (****1/4)
Samoa Joe vs. Michael Elgin: Conquest Tour 3/14 (****1/4)
Roderick Strong vs. Kyle O’Reilly: Winter Warriors Tour 2/21 (****)
ROH All-Stars vs. Bullet Club: ROH/NJPW Global Wars Night One (****)
reDRagon vs. RPG Vice: Conquest Tour 3/14 (****)
Young Bucks vs. reDRagon: 13th Anniversary Show (****)
Matt Sydal vs. Cedric Alexander: 13th Anniversary Show (****)
Roderick Strong vs. Alberto El Patron: Winter Warriors Tour 1/31 (****)

WWE/NXT
Kevin Owens vs. John Cena: Elimination Chamber (****1/2)
Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins vs. John Cena: Royal Rumble (****1/2)
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns: Wrestlemania 31 (****1/4)
Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch: NXT Unstoppable (****1/4)
Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens: NXT Rival (****1/4)
Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch vs. Bayley: NXT Rival (****)
Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Wade Barrett vs. Stardust vs. R-Truth vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper: Wrestlemania 31 (****)
Adrian Neville vs. Finn Balor: NXT Rival (****)
Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns: Fastlane (****)
Cesaro-Gun vs. New Day: Extreme Rules (****)
Cesaro-Gun vs. New Day: Payback (****)

Indies
Roderick Strong vs. Zack Sabre Jr: PWG Don’t Sweat the Technique (****1/2)
Young Bucks vs. Matt Sydal & Chris Sabin: PWG Black Cole Sun (****1/2)
Ricochet vs. Matt Sydal: PWG From Out of Nowhere (****1/2)
Zack Sabre Jr vs. Axel Tischer: wXw 16 Carat Night 1 (****1/2)
Chris Hero vs. Biff Busick: EVOLVE 40 (****1/4)
Chris Hero vs. Timothy Thatcher: WWN Supershow (****1/4)
Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak: PWG From Out of Nowhere (****1/4)
Kyle O’Reilly vs. Roderick Strong: PWG Black Cole Sun (****1/4)
Young Bucks vs. Monster Mafia: PWG From Out of Nowhere (****1/4)
Timothy Thatcher vs. Axel Dieter Jr: wXw 16 Carat Night 1 (****1/4)
Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey: PWG From Out of Nowhere (****)
Drew Galloway vs. Ricochet: EVOLVE 37 (****)
Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak: EVOLVE 38 (****)
Rockstar Spud vs. EC3: Impact Wrestling 3/13 (****)
Timothy Thatcher vs. Roderick Strong: EVOLVE 37 (****)
Chris Hero vs. Tommy End: PWG Don’t Sweat the Technique (****)
Johnny Gargano vs. Davey Richards: EVOLVE 41 (****)

Other Puro
Shuji Ishikawa vs. Daisuke Sekimoto: Big Japan Korakuen 3/31 (*****)
Shuji Ishikawa vs. Yuji Okabayashi: Big Japan Korakuen 2/2 (****1/2)
Joe Doering vs. Go Shiozaki: All Japan 1/3 Korakuen (****1/2)
Masato Tanaka vs. Shingo Takagi: Zero-One Tokyo 3/29 (****1/2)
HARISHIMA & Happy Motel vs. Kota Ibushi & Strong BJ: DDT 1/25 Korakuen (****1/2)
Go Shiozaki vs. Kento Miyahara: All Japan 3/27 Korakuen (****1/2)
TMDK vs. Dangan Yankees: NOAH 1/10 Korakuen (****1/2)
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Shuji Ishikawa & Kohei Sato: Big Japan 1/2 Korakuen (****1/4)
Twin Towers vs. Yuji Okabayashi & Yujji Hino: Big Japan 3/21 (****1/4)
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi © Vs Keisuke Ishii & Shigehiro Irie: DDT Korakuen 4/29 (****1/4)
HARISHIMA vs. Kota Ibushi: DDT Saitama Super DDT (****1/4)
Dangan Yankees vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kohei Sato: Zero-One 3/1 Korakuen (****1/4)
Yuji Hino & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Antonio Honda: BJW/DDT/K-Dojo New Years Eve Wrestling 1/1 (****1/4)
Minoru Suzuki vs. Naomichi Marufuji: NOAH Great Voyage in Yokohoma 5/10 (****)
TMDK vs. Killer Elite Squad: NOAH Great Voyage in Nagoya 2/11 (****)
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Konosuke Takeshita & Tetsuya Endo: DDT Saitama Super DDT (****)
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs. HARASHIMA & Yasu Urano: DDT 5/17 (****)

Lucha Underground
Fenix vs. Mil Muertes: 3/18 (****1/2)
Sexy Star vs. Pentagon Jr. vs. Mack vs. Killshot vs. King Cuerno vs. Fenix vs. Cage: 5/13 (****1/4)
Prince Puma vs. Cage: 3/25 (****)
Prince Puma vs. Hernandez: 5/27 (****)
King Cuerno/Cage/Texano Jr. vs. Mack/Killshot/Big Ryck vs. Ivelisse/Son of Havoc/Angelico: 4/22 (****)
Jack Evans vs. Aerostar: 5/13 (****)
Prince Puma vs. Drago: 4/29 (****)

Still need to see War of the Worlds Night 2, the Dragon Gate Korakuen from early May, and I need to finish the 16 Carat (and by finish, I mean start Day 2), but I was way behind on this and I felt like I needed to update it.

Akito © vs. Shigehiro Irie in a Texas Death Match for the DDT Extreme Title (DDT - 05/17)

This was billed as a last man standing match but its actually a Texas Death match which is a big plus in my book. Great, great stuff. They built a match that expertly played off of their individual roles and standing within DDT. Irie is the guy with a bunch of championships within DDT (and some outside of DDT) who also has the big size advantage. Akito is the underdog both in terms of accomplishments and size. They stick to those roles and build a match that tells that story even if you know nothing about them going in. I am not sure if I have seen a match this year with such a well thought out structure that is executed so thoroughly. There were a couple of parts that I didn't totally care for (really just a couple of pet peeves) but otherwise the execution was spot on. The ropes were loose throughout the match with I don't believe was on purpose, but they incorporate that into the match in a couple of clever ways. The falls are well-timed and well thought out. I think the best part of the match is how they establish the internal logic really early and stick to it throughout. Some matches are hurt by having such an uncompromising layout, but this one really wasn't. They go 30-minutes but it never felt that long and never felt like they got overly repetitive in telling the story they wanted to tell.

My only big concern is I watched the first time without sound. The show as in front of 1,000 fans in Nagoya so I am worried the heat won't quite match up with the action but if it is does this *might* be my MOTY so far.

I think that they did admirably once the ropes became loose early on in the match. I thought it was a really fun overall. I am glad that Akito finally took off Irie's kneepad when he was working over the knee as that was the obvious logical next step. **** from me.