Pro Wrestling Only

Campaigning for a Current Folder

JerryvonKramer

The recent closing of the mega threads, a move which I don't care about in the least and have no feelings on one way or the other, has led to the general pro wrestling folder being dominated by topics about current WWE. I think there are enough of these topics to warrant an exclusive folder.

Not only will this serve as a great way of keeping all that stuff together so that those wishing to discuss Rusev's push or Steve Austin's current relationship with the WWE or other such topics can do so all in one place, but also so that those wishing to avoid such topics entirely can do so too. Collectivisation and containment.

Another good reason to do this is that the first page is currently moving too quickly and good topics are getting "lost". Yes, I know it's always possible to just go to page 2, but the reality is that most people don't do that.

A current folder would actually be of benefit to everyone. People who want to talk about current WWE can do so safe in the knowledge that El-P or whoever else isn't rolling their eyes at them. People who don't want to talk about it can just avoid that folder. Everyone is happy.

This thread is my "campaign" to lobby for such a folder.

It might make more sense to have an "old school" pro wrestling subforum and leave the main general wrestling folder just for current discussion.

Why would that make more sense?

I am sad that my campaign has attracted no support.

I'm all for it, but The Authority has spoken. Its a new era!

Would general talk about wrestling philosophy and best ___ ever-type topics go in the Current folder or the Old School folder? I do like the idea, but just wanted to see if you have any thoughts on that aspect of it, as not every topic is based on a time period.

I think a plain old WWE board would work best. WWE discussion would still dominate all other current discussion and there isn't so much thread making for current Japan, indies etc anyway. You would have the main wrestling board looking like it did before the megathread closed with maybe a couple extra threads on the current scene and then a WWE forum with lots of new threads that would have otherwise been unorganized conversation in the big megathread.

I'll agree with Parv on this one. Now that the modern WWE megathread is locked,I say create a modern WWE folder to discuss all current happenings, booking and storylines in WWE. Anything related to philosophy or greatest ever goes in the main folder.

Intelligent and insightful old school wrestling discussion is what made PWO great. Like all successful things, PWO has grown and evolved over time. Today, there seems to be a lot more modern WWE talk than old school. That's fine, but you can find modern WWE discussion all over the web, and most of it is repetitive (IMO) whining or armchair booking.

By creating a modern WWE folder, you're letting people know that all wrestling discussion is welcome, but PWO's bread and butter -- what sets it apart from all the other wrestling boards out there -- is the analytical, insightful, intelligent, passionate, sometimes silly, sometimes angry, sometimes outlandish, always interesting discussion of old school wrestling.

Right now if someone clicks on the main folder, they'll see threads mostly covering modern WWE. And not to be a dick, but most of these modern threads aren't covering any new territory that isn't covered at numerous other places around the web (with less flaming, I suppose). As it looks right now, the main folder doesn't make PWO stand out among other wrestling sites on the web like it should.

When new visitors come here and click on the main folder, the first thing they'll see is a thread about old school territories, All Japan in the 1990s or some other old school wrestling discussion they haven't been able to find anywhere else on the web. Then they'll see all the sub-folders for the yearbooks, microscope, newsletter recaps and greatest of all time. Then they'll start clicking around and see that the threads aren't just idiots flaming each other. They'll think they died and went to old-school wrestling heaven.

And oh by the way, there's a modern WWE folder, too, in case they want to chime in about Cesaro not getting pushed or Vince being out of touch.

Perhaps the mods want to take PWO in a more modern direction. After all, this place has absolutely killed it when it comes to old school discussion. Maybe there simply isn't that much new ground to cover in old school wrestling discussion that PWO hasn't already covered and it's time to focus more on modern stuff. Personally, that's not what I want. But like I said earlier, like all successful things, as PWO grows, it will (and is) changing.

I've rambled long enough. Looking forward to seeing where this discussion goes.

Would general talk about wrestling philosophy and best ___ ever-type topics go in the Current folder or the Old School folder? I do like the idea, but just wanted to see if you have any thoughts on that aspect of it, as not every topic is based on a time period.

I'm really against the idea of creating a specifically "old school" forum, the main general forum can just be what it always was, like Crossface said. It's more about putting all the current WWE stuff in one place.

Main forum is for "all wrestling ever", including philosophy and whatever else, current for topics specifically pertaining to the booking of the modern product.

So essentially, I agree with tim and goc (and Crossface).