Intangibles 6

Great matches 6

Length of Peak 1990-2004 = 14 years = 8

+1 ability to work tags

+1 ability to work as ace / carry promotion

+1 ability to work shoot style

Ability to work different styles / roles rating = 3

Variety = 9

Some people will be pleased to note that he has a score 1 point higher than Hase's.

William Regal

Basic (offense, selling, psychology) 3/3 2/3 3/3 (+1 for brutality) = 9

Intangibles 9

Great matches 1

Length of Peak 1993-2013 = 17+ years = 10

+1 ability to work babyface

+1 ability to work tags

+1 ability to work gimmick matches

+1 ability to work brawls

+1 ability to work different gimmicks ("blowjob babyface in England")

+3 ability to get over in multiple markets (England, Germany, WCW, ECW, WWF, Japan, indies)

Ability to work different styles / roles rating = 8

Variety = 10

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned previously, I thought it would be an interesting thought experiment to see what sort of list I'd come up with without the use of BIGLAV and instead using Steven Graham's nebulously vaugue, sentimental, Canadian "feely" system, shorn of any and all pretence of objectivity.

First thing I did was go through my list and cut out all of the people I do not LOVE and who do not make me feel warm inside. These are all people to whom I was either "giving credit where it is due" or who did well on BIGLAV despite my personal feelings on the matter. Here's who went.

Cut:

AJ Styles

Andre

Antonio Inoki

Bob Backlund

Carlos Colon

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho

CM Punk

Daniel Bryan

Dean Malenko

Dick Murdoch

Dory Funk Jr

Dustin Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes

Dynamite Kid

El Dandy

Hulk Hogan

Jerry Lawler

John Cena

Johnny Saint

Jose Lothario

Jun Akiyama

Jushin Liger

Keiji Mutoh

Ken Patera

Larry Zbyszko

Low Ki

Masa Fuchi

Mick Foley

Negro Casas

Rey Mysterio Jr

Riki Choshu

Roddy Piper

Sean Waltman

Shawn Michaels

Shinya Hashimoto

Steve Austin

Steve Grey

Steve Williams

Sting

Tatsumi Fujinami

Terry Gordy

The Destroyer

Tito Santana

Tommy Rich

In making this list I asked myself questions like "who would I rather watch?" and "just based on how I'm feeling today, who do I FEEL should go higher?" This is not a piss-take and I'm not trying to prove anything. I genuinely wanted to see what I'd end up with. Here it is. Inerestingly, not that much movement in the top 10.

1. Ric Flair

2. Jumbo Tsuruta

3. Terry Funk

4. Mitsuharu Misawa

5. Kenta Kobashi

6. Stan Hansen

7. Nick Bockwinkel

8. Generico Tenryu

9. Toshiaki Kawada

10. Billy Robinson

11. Jim Breaks

12. William Regal

13. Pat Patterson

14. Rick Martel

15. Ricky Steamboat

16. Jack Brisco

17. Ted DiBiase

18. Arn Anderson

19. Barry Windham

20. Bobby Eaton

21. Randy Savage

22. Ricky Morton

23. Hiroshi Hase

24. Tully Blanchard

25. Sgt. Slaughter

26. Buddy Rose

27. Eddie Guerrero

28. Harley Race

29. Brock Lesnar

30. Yoshiaki Yatsu

31. Mocha Cota

32. Vader

33. Akira Taue

34. Ron Garvin

35. Bob Orton Jr

36. Adrian Adonis

37. Giant Baba

38. Bill Dundee

39. Curt Hennig

40. Jerry Blackwell

41. Rick Rude

42. Bret Hart

43. Wahoo McDaniel

44. Mr. Saito

45. Owen Hart

46. Brian Pillman

47. Ivan Koloff

48. Scott Steiner

49. Rick Steiner

50. Dennis Condrey

51. Tommy Rogers

52. Magnum TA

53. Michael Hayes

54. Big Boss Man

55. Butch Reed

56. Bruno Sammartino

57. Lex Luger

58. Kerry Von Erich

59. Haku

60. Dick Slater

61. Killer Khan

62. Iron Sheik

63. Jake Roberts

64. Buzz Sawyer

65. Chavo Guerrerro (Sr)

66. Abdullah the Butcher

67. Red Pants Kobayashi

68. Ernie Ladd

69. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

70. Earthquake John Tenta

71. Bobby Fulton

72. Ron Simmons

73. Paul Orndorff

74. Atushi Onita

75. Tarzan Goto

76. Kensuke Sasaki

77. Eddie Gilbert

78. Doug Somers

79. Masked Superstar

80. Kurt Angle

81. One Man Gang

82. Mike Rotunda

83. Yokozuna

84. Ricky Fuyuki

85. The Rock

86. The Undertaker

87. Tiger Mask

88. Jim Duggan

89. British Bulldog (Davey Boy Smith)

90. Matt Borne

91. Mr. Fuji

92. Tony Garea

93. Toru Tanaka

94. Tor Kamata

95. The Sheik (Original)

96. Gentleman Jerry Valiant

97. Koko Ware

98. Raymond Rougeau

99. Bobby Heenan

100. Vince McMahon

Parv, how much of this is list is who you think is greatest vs. who you enjoy watching?

It's almost entirely the latter.

As you know, I always did and still see the project as being much much more about the former, hence BIGLAV and ranking people I don't love.

If it was just a purely subjective list motivated only by my personal feelings, that 100 would be my list. Eagle-eyed readers among you might be able to spot Kurt Angle at #80, which should be of interest to Case and others who I argued with about that before. I still like Angle deep down, but I can separate the heart and the head.

Parv, how much of this is list is who you think is greatest vs. who you enjoy watching?

As you know, I always did and still see the project as being much much more about the former, hence BIGLAV and ranking people I don't love.

If it was just a purely subjective list motivated only by my personal feelings, that 100 would be my list. Eagle-eyed readers among you might be able to spot Kurt Angle at #80, which should be of interest to Case and others who I argued with about that before. I still like Angle deep down, but I can separate the heart and the head.

I don't really care where you rank Angle, I just have an issue with you scoffing at the idea of Angle being a Top 20 contender.

I don't really care where you rank Angle, I just have an issue with you scoffing at the idea of Angle being a Top 20 contender.

I didn't rank Angle in my actual list.

And I encourage more people to scoff loudly at him as a top 20 contender, because he really isn't one.

What do you have against Zybszko? Also I'm with Grimmas, I much prefer list #2

He's got a lot of gaps and things in his career where he's not that exciting or isn't that good. And unlike other greatest hits guys like, say, Slaughter who is just great hanging out in a five minute nothing TV match just by virtue of his huge bumping or whatever, when Larry is off, he's really off. And if Larry came up on a random match listing, I wouldn't get excited because I know the match could turn out either way. He's a weird guy who has these pockets of greatness, and he made me actual ballot, but for my "feel-y" list, I'm holding that hit or miss ratio against him.

It's actually a criticism I have of Steven's list that he's seemingly blind to the flaws of a guy like Larry Z who he rewards for the times he's on, but then totally harsh on a guy like Shawn for the times he's off.

What do you have against Zybszko? Also I'm with Grimmas, I much prefer list #2

It's actually a criticism I have of Steven's list that he's seemingly blind to the flaws of a guy like Larry Z who he rewards for the times he's on, but then totally harsh on a guy like Shawn for the times he's off.

I've said this a few times, so I will say it again. It's just not that Shawn sucked for his whole return, it's also the fact he wasn't good as a singles from 92-96. He had the 96-97 run which was good to great and he had the run as a good tag worker. Anybody else with that resume would not make my list.

Thankfully I am bulletproof to such criticisms due to my Andre write ups.

I listened back over Chad and I's 100-41 earlier. I forgot to ask but what did you make of the bit where Chad was insistent that you were trolling the board with your Andre ranking?

One of those little moments, made me laugh listening back.

That prompted me to bump the thread since no one had responded to my Mulligan vs Andre write up. If no one will engage me when I do the earnest legwork, I'm not super concerned by their criticisms. I like Chad's list. Mine will be very different though. I think each will be very consistent within itself.

If I did a six hour podcast on this, I wouldn't use the phrase "high end matches" once. I'm pretty sure about that. I'm perfectly happy listening to one where someone does for every person though.

I tend to lean more toward Parv's way of thinking about these things as objectively as the human experience can allow (realizing it can't ever happen, but still trying), and I feel like it's worth clarifying that this is not my philosophy on the right way to watch wrestling, nor do I think it's Parv's, even if I am the type that will give a match ***1/2 if I don't really get into it much, but still think it was well-worked by whatever criteria I'd normally call any match well-worked. But aiming to make my ballot about something more than just my personal tastes did feel like the right approach for trying to provide an answer to the question, "Who is the greatest wrestler?" I wasn't aiming to fully oppress my opinions as much as I was trying to balance them out by realizing some guy isn't just the greatest wrestler ever because I enjoy him the most. That seems self-important. It was an attempt at humility. Guided or misguided, who knows.

In so many ways my guiding mantra was "put your personal feelings aside, and give credit where it is due". This was actually a huge part of the Dory Funk Jr case I made. You'll notice he didn't make my personal list.

I still think and will always think that my personal feelings don't in any way dictate "greatness". That's why I ranked modern guys, lucha guys, and people I don't really care much about. But if people genuinely prefer my personal list to my actual ballot, well, there is it. I also really don't think the only people on "this side" of the argument are Loss and me. I think there are more in that camp than have been vocal about it.