Pro Wrestling Only

Best worker of the 80s

JerryvonKramer

Best worker of the 80s  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you go for?

I understand the arguments for Fujinami and Jumbo, and interestingly find Jumbo with higher highs and much lower lows. But at the end of the day there isn't enough of a body of work to trump Flair's output across the globe and territories. Hell, he's responsible for one of Jumbo's best matches of the 80s and MOTD contenders with folks who wouldn't otherwise rate near the top of anyone's list. Just too much to overcome.

It's Fujinami for me. Then Lawler and Flair. Hansen and then Jumbo. Actually you could probably switch Hansen and Flair. I don't know. Fujinami was great from the outset to the very end when he went down with a back injury. What I want out of wrestling I get from Fujinami in this time frame. I love the struggle for control in his matches. His biggest drawback is that he wasn't a great brawler.

I had a spell of having Jumbo over Flair, but after watching that amazing match with Terry Taylor, I've flipped back to Flair now.

I can't think of a single guy on earth who could get a performance as good as that out of Taylor.

YES! Exactly this. Who else could ever pull 3 (in my eyes) classics out of Terry Taylor? Still scratching my head how you found each of their 3 matches so different, quality-wise, but the point about Flair remains. The mileage they get out of that headlock in the third is just incredible.

I had a spell of having Jumbo over Flair, but after watching that amazing match with Terry Taylor, I've flipped back to Flair now.

I can't think of a single guy on earth who could get a performance as good as that out of Taylor.

YES! Exactly this. Who else could ever pull 3 (in my eyes) classics out of Terry Taylor? Still scratching my head how you found each of their 3 matches so different, quality-wise, but the point about Flair remains. The mileage they get out of that headlock in the third is just incredible.

Still coming down from it, rare that I see a Flair classic I've not seen before. Last time I felt like this was seeing the 92 Tenryu match.

I don't know why the other two didn't hit the spot like that one.

But I do agree that I find it difficult to imagine Jumbo, Fujinami, Hansen, Lawler or even Bock pulling a match that good out of Taylor.

I think Terry Funk probably could.

Still coming down from it, rare that I see a Flair classic I've not seen before. Last time I felt like this was seeing the 92 Tenryu match.

I don't know why the other two didn't hit the spot like that one.

But I do agree that I find it difficult to imagine Jumbo, Fujinami, Hansen, Lawler or even Bock pulling a match that good out of Taylor.

I think Terry Funk probably could.

You won't want to do it now, but I'd say its worth rewatching the first 2 with fresh eyes when you have the opportunity. The first is still my favorite, very possibly due to the fact that I didn't expect anything approaching that level going into it, but just didn't find the others to be very far behind.

Ric Flair made the Ric Flair Special work in more places with a wider variety opponents than anyone else made their signature match work against multiple opponents. I can see a case for ranking others higher if you care more about the intricacies of their work than their output, and I can also see ranking others higher if you're looking more at working a lot of matches that felt different from each other. But if you care about match quality, Flair gave too many guys in too many places their best match for it to be anyone but him in my mind.

Ric Flair made the Ric Flair Special work in more places with a wider variety opponents than anyone else made their signature match work against multiple opponents. I can see a case for ranking others higher if you care more about the intricacies of their work than their output, and I can also see ranking others higher if you're looking more at working a lot of matches that felt different from each other. But if you care about match quality, Flair gave too many guys in too many places their best match for it to be anyone but him in my mind.

An interesting question to ask would be:

How many different guys had their best match with Flair?

How many different guys had their best match with Fujinami?

How many with Jumbo?

And so on down the line.

I think that's a metric that might help Lawler, but the quality bar on both those matches and those opponents probably lower.

If you define variety as being able to make your match work against a wide variety of opponents, to me, Flair is clear number one. It's similar to how we've talked about Vader just taking the Vader show on the road instead of changing his style everywhere.

If you define variety as being able to chain wrestle, fly, work suplex-heavy highspot matches, brawls, etc., then Flair probably isn't the clear number one. Someone is probably better than him at each of those things.

How many with Jumbo?

And so on down the line.

I think that's a metric that might help Lawler, but the quality bar on both those matches and those opponents probably lower.

How many people wrestled as many different opponents as Flair did in big (could have good matches like title match) settings. Absolutely no one, so of course no one did it better than Flair. Nobody even had the chance (taped at least).

Is there anywhere we can go with that other than ranking wrestlers on what-ifs? Just asking how you think we should factor in that he had more opportunities relative to other great workers. I don't mean that with any type of agenda, but I've seen it brought up by a few people a few times, and I'm trying to understand how "Well, he had more opportunities" matters. Does it matter in the sense that we should cut guys slack who didn't have those same opportunities? Does it matter in the sense that it's less impressive that he pulled it off since he was always put in positions to pull it off? Again, just want to understand, so next time that someone brings that point up, I know how to take it.

I don't understand that as an argument.

It's like saying Alam Shearer scored 260 Premier Leauge goals and then saying "yeah but how many other strikers were playing at the top flight for so long and had so many goal scoring opportunities?"

That's basically a nonsense argument.

Besides, all of the guys listed had a lot of chances with many different guys to have good matches. Jumbo faced every NWA champion. I've seen Fujinami against a lot of different opponents and I'm only in 1984. Stan Hansen worked Backlund, Martel, Slaughter, Colon, and anyone who was anyone in AJPW. Lawler faced any heel who came through Memphis.

It's weak Grimmas.

How many with Jumbo?

And so on down the line.

How many people wrestled as many different opponents as Flair did in big (could have good matches like title match) settings. Absolutely no one, so of course no one did it better than Flair. Nobody even had the chance (taped at least).

With that logic you can also say Flair is being discounted for not working low on the card, in big tags, in brawls. All they asked him to do was main event in world title matches around the country. Which is why others did those other things "better" than Flair.