Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestle Mania 32... Live As It Happens

goodhelmet

OK I lied I'm totally watching Hunter's entrance again.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE WEIRD ASS BALD MUTILATED ZOMBIES? WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH HUNTER?

I lost it when the Hunter skull mask appeared and you expect Hunter to be behind it and then BAM, STEPHANIE THE WITCH QUEEN OF THE NAZI ZOMBIES!

I can't really hear what she's saying, but she's saying it so fantastically. Steph has one of the great heel voices.

And then after all of this extra curricular bullshit, Hunter finally comes out...wearing nothing but his gear. I mean fuck, if there was ever a time for him to wear a bearskin chieftain's cloak or a helmet fashioned from the skulls of his enemies or a suit of armour or some shit, this was it. But nope, just wrestling gear, while he walks past the Nazi Zombie Army with Steph who is dressed as a Mad Max villain.

Five stars.

Yeah I was totally expecting some variant on his Shao Kahn skull helmet or at least his King of Kings crown, but nope. Still, max level end boss Evil Steph more than made up for it.

Also was anyone else getting a Mil Muertes sitting on his throne vibe from Steph's entrance?

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm watching the women's match for the third time today. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to find a moment in wrestling where I felt...as happy for a wrestler, as I did for Sasha and the superstar pop she got coming out here. I've felt the same happiness for the girls at every step of the way, particularly the NXT main events and standing Os and stuff, but I'm pretty sure from their perspective, nothing beats being appreciated like that by 100,000 people at Wrestlemania. It would have been the most validating moment so far, and will be until they do something even more ground breaking like main eventing a PPV or something. And I'm just so fucking happy for them.

Also, every time I laugh at Becky's LOUD ASS "You alroight?" after the kick to the face. Get your John Cena ass spot calling under control Becky.

I liked the HHH - Roman match quite a bit. I thought it was easily the match of the night. I do have to re-watch the woman match and the Styles match, because I was having feed issues that took me out of the moment but from what I saw neither were great, which I do think the main event was.

Worked hard out of gate to get HHH over as heel, with Steph on the mic. Then contradicted by HHH holding ropes open for Roman, after a great over the top bump. Roman shine was great. Great selling of low blow, followed by crotch work after the low blow with 2 inverted atomic drops. Crowd killing Roman, at each hope spot. After every transitions Roman's selling was great. Loved the HHH neck breaker on the floor, and a really cool hanging knee drop. Roman, working really hard. Both selling exhaustion, not for the first time either, after cool spear on the floor, which was visually impressive. Great heel work by Steph, breaking up a pin then strolling into the ring like she owned it. Roman injured shoulder on spear, and HHH quickly goes for arm-bar submission, twice, using same power bomb counter to escape took away from it. Very slow pace. Crowd did pop big for pedigree counter. And popped big for Steph spear and pedigree kickout, but otherwise any Roman offense gets mixed cheers, which is improvement versus earlier in the match. He does gets a winners pop on the cover. Good stuff.

A couple things took away. Using the same escape twice on the arm bar back to back. HHH schizophrenic heel/face dynamic took away at times. Specifically, inviting Roman back into the ring after a big bump to the floor, and getting in the two coolest spots of the match with the neck breaker and the knee drop, with Roman getting nothing even close to as cool in. My biggest criticism, is one, that has kept me from getting completely behind Roman as a worker: His offense. Very very reliant on super punches, clothes lines and spears. His work in total during the match was very good, but his offense is a problem for me. Not much variety, and his three goto’s are all very similar. He needs a driver or a suplex, outside of the samoan drop, something more than what he currently is using. 4.25 stars.

Other matches:

Ryback vs Calisto: 3.5 stars, going into the main this my MOTN. Ryback was so great.

10 woman tag, I missed this. Cooking dinner.

Usos vs Dudleys: 1 star, I hate super kicks.

Lader Match: 2.5 stars, KO and SZ ruled but you can't do anything compelling with this many people unless you have memorable spots and there weren't.

Jericho vs Styles 3 stars, needs a rematch. My gut is people here are killing it because they don't like the booking.

New Day vs LON, 2.5 stars, Rusev and Big E were awesome. Also, liked some of the tag psychology.

Banks vs Flair vs Lynch - 3.25 stars, needs a rewatch due to feed. Some really cool stuff, and some stuff that could have been cool. Finish was underwhelming, I'm not sure Becky Lynch is good. 3.25 stars.

Brock vs Dean 2 stars, this didn't work at all.

Undertaker vs Shane, 2.25 stars, pretty much all of it from the cage spot. Terrible match.

They've fucked up with every guy they've brought in who was a big deal somewhere else. This goes back some 25 years. Its like they do it on purpose. Flair would be the lone guy I can remember who was a main event guy for a "competitor" (as if WWF/E has ever had any competition) who wasn't jobbed out. It began in the big expansion in the 80s, they brought in so many top territory guys just to job them out. Then they did the same thing with WCW and ECW. Then after they bought WCW and aquired the rights to ECW, the ones they brought in were brought in just to be jobbed out. There's a shoot where Kevin Nash talks about it. Where he's like they could just be like fuck that guy we don't need him, but instead they are like no, lets bring him in so first we can fuck him before we fuck him.

They do do it on purpose. If you aren't a Vince McMahon WWE creation, you have to be shown your place as the worthless, inferior wrestler/idea that you are. It's nothing new and it's something I stopped worrying about a long time ago. It's just the way things are, and I think anyone that has made a name elsewhere has to know it is coming if they sign with WWE.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE WEIRD ASS BALD MUTILATED ZOMBIES? WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH HUNTER?

I think they were supposed to be the nameless faceless masses who keep their mouths shut (or more accurately who have their mouths shut for them). They are how King Ache sees the WWE fans.

Thought it was supposed to be a Mad Max kind of deal, with the metal over their mouth and Steph yelling down on them.

I think you are right, but I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. They are the post-apocalyptic masses.

I'm not disagreeing, but are they also saying the masses are also world champions? Does that mean the Authority were actually praising the masses who are voiceless as being championship caliber fans. A Kind of thank you for sitting through so much shit, knowing their opinions didn't matter. We really need to dissect this as much as possible. How far down the rabbit hole can we go?

I'm not disagreeing, but are they also saying the masses are also world champions? Does that mean the Authority were actually praising the masses who are voiceless as being championship caliber fans. A Kind of thank you for sitting through so much shit, knowing their opinions didn't matter. We really need to dissect this as much as possible. How far down the rabbit hole can we go?

I was talking about the ones in the videos.... not the skull people walking out with him. Did the ones in the videos have belts? I forget. Now I am confused. Why was Steph dressed as Beyonce again?

This card was so weird to me. The first three matches took the wind out of the sails on the results. I don't get too hung up on results, but it seemed like they were trolling us almost. I want to rewatch the Styles/Jericho match because I was enjoying it for the most part but just threw my hands in the air when Styles lost.

I was not a huge fan of the street fight. I thought it was fun, but it was underwealming. It felt like they wanted to keep it from stealing the show so they tried to find a sweet spot for it. I may feel differently when I watch it again... but I was just dissapointed.

I liked the Women's match a lot. They were pretty great. Sasha doing the Eddie stuff made me so giggly. I loved it.

I also think I like the HIAC match more than most. I thought it was planned out well for who was in and what they needed to do. I didn't find it as dragging as most people. To me, it overperformed really.

Baron Corbin winning the battle royal might have been my favorite outcome of the night. I have become a pretty big fan. While I am not sure how his act will translate to the main roster, I am more confident that they will succeed with him than I am with most call-ups. I also assume Corbin will be be going over AJ Styles by Summer Slam.

The Rock/Cena/Wyatts stuff felt like a huge waste of my time.

The main was good, but just felt underwealming to me. I need to watch it again with fresh eyes. I thought the match was well done, but it just couldn't bring a tired audience to like Roman. It couldn't live up to last year's main. It couldn't overcome all the factors working against it. Nothing changed. There is nothing to be excited about here. I am sort of looking forward to watching it again, but probably not for a few days.

This card was so weird to me. The first three matches took the wind out of the sails on the results. I don't get too hung up on results, but it seemed like they were trolling us almost. I want to rewatch the Styles/Jericho match because I was enjoying it for the most part but just threw my hands in the air when Styles lost.

I'm usually the guy arguing against people saying these kinds of "conspiracy theories" but watching the show last night that's really how I felt too. It felt like they went out of their way to book the show as a means to troll the live crowd because they knew Reigns was going to get shit on.

And as someone who can't reconcile the fact that so many people are acting like the Reigns hate is based on him being a bad worker while also extolling the virtues of shitty wrestlers like Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose, I actually really enjoyed it.

I don't even think it was a conscious effort per say, but it was just like all the results decisions early on made so little sense that the only motivating factor for them could be to troll fans. I don't think it was a conspiracy theory, it was just so counter to anything that made sense to me as a fan that I couldn't rationalize it in another way.

Austin's stunner on Rusev honestly brought be me back a bit. That was one of the best sell jobs for the stunner ever.

OK I lied I'm totally watching Hunter's entrance again.

I lost it when the Hunter skull mask appeared and you expect Hunter to be behind it and then BAM, STEPHANIE THE WITCH QUEEN OF THE NAZI ZOMBIES!

I can't really hear what she's saying, but she's saying it so fantastically. Steph has one of the great heel voices.

And then after all of this extra curricular bullshit, Hunter finally comes out...wearing nothing but his gear. I mean fuck, if there was ever a time for him to wear a bearskin chieftain's cloak or a helmet fashioned from the skulls of his enemies or a suit of armour or some shit, this was it. But nope, just wrestling gear, while he walks past the Nazi Zombie Army with Steph who is dressed as a Mad Max villain.

Five stars.

I think the bald mutilated zombies are supposed to be us, the fans. What we have to say doesn't matter, we're still all here watching and giving WWE our money no matter what they do.

Austin's stunner on Rusev honestly brought be me back a bit. That was one of the best sell jobs for the stunner ever.

Austin was the only one who let his guy beat him up so he could make a comeback before the stunner. Made me want to rethink my GWE rankings.

You can say that they have been trolling the last month and a half by teasing change on Raw and then going back to status quo. Clearly they had no plan to shake things up and Shane coming back was just a stop gap because Cena got hurt and couldn't work Taker. Shane received a ton of mainstream as well but I guess they didn't care enough to change plans.

* not saying Shane was going to make things better creatively but at least it wouldn't be so stale

That show was sort of a reminder to me that WWE will never really be what I'd love for it to be, no matter how talented their roster is. And I don't even say that to complain -- they had better things to do than try to craft a show to appeal to me. I'm just peacefully stepping away from it for the most part. It does more to cause me frustration than provide enjoyment. I had made peace with this once before, then Daniel Bryan came along and I got lured back in. He was an anomaly, not a signal of a better functioning WWE. And that's ok -- they drew 100K people last night and the people who complain the most vocally about their booking are the ones who fork over the most money. It's a model that's working even if there's no precedent for it. But as long as it's working, it's guaranteed fans looking for change will have no peace. It's just not for me. Someone call me when they are building around Samoa Joe and Sami Zayn as their top stars, promos aren't scripted verbatim, the announcers sound like real people, the heavy-handed, self-serving PR stops, fans cheer and boo in a way that's aligned with WWE's vision and the McMahon family aren't TV characters and maybe I'll reconsider.

Alvarez was talking about words for chants being put up on the big screen during some of the matches, mentioning New Day and Women's three way specifically. Sounds absolutely horrid. Looking forward to hearing more about this from the Reaction show.

They did that in 1991 with L-O-D at the Boston Garden.

That show was sort of a reminder to me that WWE will never really be what I'd love for it to be, no matter how talented their roster is. And I don't even say that to complain -- they had better things to do than try to craft a show to appeal to me. I'm just peacefully stepping away from it for the most part. It does more to cause me frustration than provide enjoyment. I had made peace with this once before, then Daniel Bryan came along and I got lured back in. He was an anomaly, not a signal of a better functioning WWE. And that's ok -- they drew 100K people last night and the people who complain the most vocally about their booking are the ones who fork over the most money. It's a model that's working even if there's no precedent for it. It's just not for me. Someone call me when they are building around Samoa Joe and Sami Zayn as their top stars, promos aren't scripted verbatim, the announcers sound like real people, the heavy-handed, self-serving PR stops, fans cheer and boo in a way that's aligned with WWE's vision and the McMahon family aren't TV characters and maybe I'll reconsider.

I'm with you, but I've kind of been that way for a long time. I only keep up with the show via youtube and whatever my friends tell me is going on. I got the Network for free this month just to watch Shinsuke/Zayn and Bayley/Asuke. I didn't even want to watch Mania and I only did because we didn't have much going on and I figured it'd be okay to have on in the background. I didn't even finish it.

The talent is so immense that I can't fully ignore it, but I refuse to invest money into it until there are massive, probably unrealistic, changes.