Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Guest bravesfan

I guess that's good news but does anyone still watch the George Lopez show?

It's the best-rated show on Wednesday nights, so that may cancel each other out.

Do you mean best rated sitcom or show overall? Because it's far from the highest rated show on Wednesday
Best rated sitcom and best rated in its timeslot, when running first-run.

I probably should've clarified that. It's lucky that we don't have any vocal LOST fanatics around these boards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wnyxmcneal

Looking back, that 8-9 hour was brutal. It wasn't the highest rated sitcom on Wednesdays (Yes Dear did better), but I'm going to assume it won its timeslot, until January when Bones came into the picture.

Finally got around to getting the Monday Night War DVD the other day, and while the main program is mostly WWE revisionist bullshit, the extras are freaking awesome.

Ric Flair's return to Nitro is probably the greatest promo in wrestling history. First you have Arn Fucking Anderson doing what he does best, even making Mongo look more than the goof he was, before cutting a classic Arn promo about everyone wanting the Horsemen back and being careful about getting what they wish for. Then he goes on to intro Flair, which has become famous again thanks to that Youtube video (MY GOD, I ALMOST FORGOT! RIC FLAIR~!). THEN if that all wasn't enough, we see what becomes the bridge from Classic Flair to current Crazy Old Man Flair with the famous "ABUSE OF POWER! FIRE ME, I'M ALREADY FIRED!" rant.

Then you have Rick Rude proving to all the doubters why he was the coolest motherfucker ever in wrestling by appearing on RAW and Nitro on the same day. JR is hilarious in this segment, since he goes into that hybrid language of legalese and carny he lapses into when he's trying to explain something without breaking kayfabe. What's great is they pretty much decide that despite everyone in WWE thinking he agreed to a new deal he showed up in WCW because he's Rick Rude and he fucking felt like it.

They show DX invading WCW, which was funny for featuring a STONED AS HELL X-Pac commenting on the angle looking like someone who couldn't remember where he left his car keys, let alone something that happened years ago. I was expecting the next words out of his mouth to be "Dave's not here, maaaaaaaaan".

Guest Bruiser Chong

The funniest part of the DX retropsective was a straight-faced HHH saying, "Back then, you didn't even mention the other company, let alone drive a tank with a cannon up to it."

Even better was HHH suggesting that WCW should have let them in, since it would have made for better TV than Raw.

Actually, he said it would've made for better TV than "the same matches you saw last week". I found that funny since WCW's was easily pumping out better quality matches at the time than the WWF.

Even funnier is the WWE today does pretty much the same matches week after week.

Actually, he said it would've made for better TV than "the same matches you saw last week". I found that funny since WCW's was easily pumping out better quality matches at the time than the WWF.

That may be true, but the WWF was seen as the much cooler product back then by the casuals. The DX Invasion only furthered that.

Guest treble

Went to an independant show tonight, it was pretty fun. A1 and Sirelda from TNA were there, and I guess in the Observer last week or the week before, there was something about Ron Killings not wanting to do a job to A1. My friend had gone to the show in Ottawa the night before and mentioned this to him, so tonight he brought his copy of the Observer with him for A1 to read. He didn't seem to know what it was, asking 'Who wrote this?' and looking for an address on it. It was funny, though, sitting down and looking over at his table, seeing him reading it pretty intently. Sirelda was sitting next to him and read it for a bit, too, and I guess there was something in there about TNA letting her go.

Later on, during the intermission, she came out and asked this one guy I was with to film her match for her, so after the show, we went 'backstage' to find her and give it to her. My friend mentioned something to her about watching her on TNA and she went 'Oh, I'm not done with them yet. They're bringing me in slowly, but then, when I get going they won't be able to stop me!'.

There were only about 100 or so people there, so it was kind of fun in an intimate setting. A1, especially, seemed to be having a pretty fun time with it, hamming it up for the crowd and stuff.

I got the Undertaker DVD today at Bestbuy. You know sometimes I think I'm too negative about the WWE as a whole. Sometimes I feel like I should stop my bitching about it. Then things like this happen. Damn do I fucking hate this company. 3 discs all stuffed into the same stupid slot. When you go to get one out the other 2 pop out. Could they have spent less on this piece of shit? I mean OVW fucking spends nothing on their DVDs and they still figured out how to not stack DVDs on top of each other. How many times do I get to watch it before one of the discs gets scratched and I'm SOL?

This caught my eye on the Observer site:

From the Observer 10 years ago this week:

Chris Jericho also had a less than auspicious debut, wrestling to a no-contest with fellow babyface, Alex Wright. He was having a good match, when Wright suffered a storyline injury in the match. The referee awarded Jericho the win, and Jericho did mic work turning down the win, saying he didn?t want to take a win that way. The crowd booed him, presumably considering him to be a wuss for not taking the win

Not a good way to start your first tour of duty in a major US promotion. Thinking about it, Jericho sort of had a sluggish first year with WCW. Wasn't until late 97/early 98 when he really started to get significantly over

I don't think Hall was quite the monster that Michaels and Nash were as far as not putting people over. He's always seemed extremely willing to lay down for a guy or to make them look good. And even if he beat a guy he usually made them look credible in the process.

Got my first issue of the WON today....when Meltz talks about the latest issue having 35,000 words or whatever, I didn't realize they were in 2 pt font. All in all, it was a pretty good read once I busted out the maginfying glass.

Also, hilarious tidbit from said WON is the latest words WWE have banned announcers from saying on TV (and in DSW and OVW too) is "belt" or "strap" to refer to a championship belt because Vince thinks those words are linked to "old-time" wrestling.

That was also the reason Ken Anderson's name was changed to Ken Kennedy, the name Anderson is too old school for Vinny Mac.

There are some real gems at the WC board Meltzer has posted lately.

-Apparently Verne Gagne wanted to make Hogan the AWA champion in 83 but Hogan refused. I never knew that. I always thought it was the other way around.

-When Rick Steamboat was going to leave the NWA to come to the WWF in the mid 80s Vince asked him not to do a job on the way out. (Thus having him come into the WWF strong) Steamboat refused. You have to believe that didn't get him off to a good start with Vince.

-In the 80s, Meltz and Vince had a big argument over Hogan's physique. Vince insisted that Hogan's popularity had nothing to do with his body, thus separating him from a possible drug/steroid scandal and probably helping his conscience. Dave went batshit at him.

Somehow I find it hard to believe that Hogan was the one who turned down the AWA belt *unless* by the time Verne finally decided to put it on him Hulk already had a deal with Vince.

-In the 80s, Meltz and Vince had a big argument over Hogan's physique. Vince insisted that Hogan's popularity had nothing to do with his body, thus separating him from a possible drug/steroid scandal and probably helping his conscience. Dave went batshit at him.

I just watched an AWA documentary on 24/7, and Hogan looked somewhat normal compared to the extremely bloated moon face look he had by about 1985. Maybe his roid connection in Minnesota was getting him weak stuff? Who knows, but he certainly got a lot more puffed up in relation to how big Hulkamania was getting.

Guest Bruiser Chong

-Apparently Verne Gagne wanted to make Hogan the AWA champion in 83 but Hogan refused. I never knew that. I always thought it was the other way around.

Wasn't this just to try and prevent Hogan from leaving for the WWF?

Somehow I find it hard to believe that Hogan was the one who turned down the AWA belt *unless* by the time Verne finally decided to put it on him Hulk already had a deal with Vince.

FWIW, Bobby Heenan tells this story in his autobiography. Apparently Verne would have then controlled Hogan's bookings in Japan, and that's why Hogan refused.