Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Guest Kevin Cook

Angle contacted Puder about doing the fight in UFC last week and Dave Meltzer seems to think it's a real possibility. Angle's also in no worse shape than Ken Shamrock and plenty of boxers. I'd bet a billion dollars he'd pass a physical once his various current tears and such heal up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kevin Cook

Meltzer claims Shamrock's in worse shape—apparently he can't train without injectable painkillers. This was a big theme in that Funaki bio—all those Pancrase guys destroyed their bodies because they had no idea how often to fight or how hard they were training. With all the years of steroids added in, I wouldn't doubt Shamrock's just as screwed up.

I don't know why Angle would want to do a shoot fight with Puder.  I mean, he would lose.  Puder almost made him tap once, plus there's the simple fact that Puder is an MMA fighter and Angle isn't.  He hasn't been involved in serious athletic competition in a decade and his body is in horrible shape.  For someone as concerned with his legacy as Kurt it would be a bad idea.

Yeah, but Kurt doesn't realise he would almost certainly lose.  He probably thinks that with some submission avoidance training he could own him through his superior wrestling skills alone.  And as you say Kurt is obsessed with his legacy.  So, of course, he wants to prove that him being embarrased by some young no name punk was a complete and utter fluke.

Guest Cam Chaos

OK. One guy is signed to a different organisation, one won't pass a state athletic medical commision exam. Just because Angle called Puder about it doesn't mean it's likely to happen. Given the actual press coverage Angle's firing got I doubt UFC wants the bad publicity given the progress they are making. I really doubt this will happen.

Guest Kevin Cook

OK. One guy is signed to a different organisation, one won't pass a state athletic medical commision exam. Just because Angle called Puder about it doesn't mean it's likely to happen. Given the actual press coverage Angle's firing got I doubt UFC wants the bad publicity given the progress they are making. I really doubt this will happen.

I will bet you five hundred billion dollars Angle would pass a commission exam. It's Nevada. Stephen Hawking could pass a commission exam.

Dana White is actively trying to get Angle into UFC. Meltzer talks to the guy every week, this isn't speculation from him.

The Strike Force thing... eh. How long does the deal run, does he have an opt-out, etc.

Guest Cam Chaos

I will bet you five hundred billion dollars Angle would pass a commission exam. It's Nevada. Stephen Hawking could pass a commission exam.

Dana White is actively trying to get Angle into UFC. Meltzer talks to the guy every week, this isn't speculation from him.

The Strike Force thing... eh. How long does the deal run, does he have an opt-out, etc.

If GSP gets pulled from a UFC card for a groin muscle tear I can't see someone like Angle passing.

Dana would hire Angle purely to feed him to another HW and make a new star. I don't doubt Dana is interested in bringing Angle in, but not for Angle's benefit.

Puder has another two fights with Strikeforce I believe.

I just noticed something for the first time watching the Jake Roberts DVD tonight.  During his MSG debut match with Lanny Poffo they were subtly implying that Jake could control the snake with his mind.  Several times in the match Jake stares at Damien in a trance like state and Monsoon wonders aloud if Jake is controlling him telepathically.  I don't remember this as a child and I don't know if they even continued doing it during Jake's initial heel push.  Just  glad as hell they dropped it.

Sweet!  I want to see Stephen Hawking vs. Tim Silvia!

So most of you probably know how the WB and UPN networks are merging into the CW, right? Well part of the area served by the call center I work in extends to West Virginia (home of Jamie Noble). Their UPN station went dark last week, and the CW doesn't start programming till next week.

So no UPN, on a Friday night, in West Virginia. Ho-lee shit.  I think the whole state called in asking what happened to SmackDown.

I think this post at DVDVR sums up quite nicely why the sheets hated Gorilla Monsoon back in the 80s.

Gorilla's the man. He was hated by the sheets back in the day because he was considered the embodiment of the WWF's arrogance that drove the smarts nuts, but he did his job extremely well.

Meltzer was more of a fan of the NWA than the WWF in the 80s, and from the admittedly few examples of WONs from the time period, he goes to great lengths to shit on anything the WWF did during that time. 

Gorilla was always saying stuff like "you'll only see action like this in the World Wrestling Federation" in his commentary so he became the focal point of people who were anti WWF.

I'll grant that Gorilla wasn't that great at the tail end of his career, but I don't see how anyone could say he was the worst Announcer any year in the 80s.

Yeah, Gorilla is better out of context than he probably was in context, at least for people who were longtime wrestling fans at the time the WWF boom started. Wrestling was completely different prior to that national expansion, and lots of hardcore, long-time fans hated everything associated with the sweeping changes going on in wrestling at the time.

So I'm watching the MSG 11/30/91 show on WWE 24/7, and it's during the time that Flair was doing the Real World's Champion bit. They already gave the big gold belt back at this point so they were doing the "video distortion" thing since Jack Tunney ordered Flair to stop carrying his belt. Well for the airing on 24/7, they tried to black it out rather than do the pixelation thing, and they pretty much missed it entirely.  You can clearly see it's a WWF tag belt that was perhaps modified a little so the fans at the arena wouldn't completely see through it.

It's funny, when it comes to blurring logos, they'll find someone sitting near the roof holding a WWF sign and blur it, yet they did a pretty half ass job here.

• 2 weeks later...

HHH's cheap shot on Masters tonight was really low class. I'm sure reports will come out that Masters was okay with it, but you really shouldn't have the boss's son-in-law make  size jokes about a guy who reportedly had some severe mental issues about his body image.

Especially when you're best friend is standing next to you looking like an anorexic 12 year old girl.

Part of me thinks HHH is much less harmful in the role he's in now that Cena is unquestionably the top star they have, and he's reached a point where he's pretty untouchable. With the Cena/Edge rivalry ending though, I wouldn't want to be Edge. The natural next step for him is feuds with Michaels and HHH.

That is one bright side with DX is that they're kept out of the main event scene, where Cena and Edge are both doing very well and are putting on compelling matches. At the same time, though, DX in the upper midcard means they're burying other midcards, like the three tag teams for the second straight week, amongst others. That doesn't help change along the way too much.

Call me crazy, but I think the best part of RAW right now is the Intercontinental title division. Jeff Hardy, all things considered, has had a fine comeback, and cut one of his better babyface promos last night, where he put over the title and ran down some challengers for the title, making it seem important. Carlito is a very good worker, Nitro is getting better, as is Orton, and Benjamin can be counted on for solid performances too, even if he's constantly hooked up with bad storylines and angles. Here's hoping DX stays the heck out of all this.