Pro Wrestling Only

Dropoffs from the 2006 SmarksChoice Top 100

DR Ackermann

Was just reminiscing about the legendary Taker vs. IRS feud from 1995, which saw Irwin digging up Undertaker's coffin for the express purpose of making him pay his taxes!

The Deadman showed the Taxman a thing or two about that when the two superstars settled their differences inside the squared circle. But Irwin would have the last laugh as his evil stable-mate, WWE Hall of Famer Kama, stole the Undertaker's precious urn and had it melted down into a chain.

The two legends went on to have a string of classic matches.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The memories are flooding back. Who can forget when the Phenom joined forces with the Giant Big Show! The Unholy Alliance were a force to be reckoned with in the tag-team ranks of WWE competition! After a classic encounter with the Undertaker's brother, Kane, and his partner X-Pac at Summerslam 1999, the fearsome duo captured the tag-team gold. They would lose the titles a week later in another incredible bout against the Rock 'n' Sock Connection, The Rock and Mankind. But in an AMAZING twist would win them back only a week after that in a BURNED ALIVE match that we will never forget.

Just another month in the amazing and legendary career of The Undertaker.

Fucking hell everybody!

Yes Taker's career has a LOT of shit.

Also it has a LOT of really high end stuff. Some of the best matches of the 2000's all involve Taker.

If you can't see why people would vote for him, then you are fooling yourself.

In another incredibly memorable feud, The Greatest Manager of All Time, Paul Heyman, got The Dudley Boyz, of ECW and The Attitude Era fame, to kidnap Paul Bearer. In a remarkable turn of events, custody of Bearer ensured that Heyman now had control of The Master of Pain.

At the never-to-be-forgotten Great American Bash 2004, The Deadman had to face The Dudleys two on one in a Handicap Concrete Crypt match to stop Paul Heyman burying Paul Bearer in cement!

Yet another classic match for the ages that people will be talking about for many years to come.

Fucking hell everybody!

Also it has a LOT of really high end stuff. Some of the best matches of the 2000's all involve Taker.

What do you consider the high end Taker stuff from the 2000's?

Fucking hell everybody!

vs Brock, HIAC would be the best obviously.

vs HBK, the first Mania one

vs Rey at RR2010

vs Punk at WM

vs Brock, HIAC from last year

those are the best and that is quite a good resume of best stuff

However, there is lots of really good matches underneath that. The Flair WM match, the Jeff Hardy matches, the Cena matches, the Kurt Angle match from No Way Out, and a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Fucking hell everybody!

vs Bret--SummerSlam '97, One Night Only; vs Shawn--Ground Zero 97, Bad Blood 97, Rumble '98, WrestleMania 25, Mania 26; vs Punk--Mania 29; vs HHH--Mania 27, Mania 28, Mania 17; vs Brock--No Mercy 2002, Hell in a Cell 2015; vs Foley--KOTR '96, SummerSlam '96, KOTR '98; Hell in a Cell--Armageddon 2000; vs Angle--No Way Out 2006; vs Batista--Mania 23; Elimination Chamber--No Way Out 2009; vs Edge--Mania 24, One Night Stand 2008, plus maybe some others I'm forgetting. Most of those matches are pretty good-great. Although he was involved in some god awful stuff as well, which has of course been highlighted here; he's on my ballot, although he's not one of my favorites for the record either.

Fucking hell everybody!

vs Bret--SummerSlam '97, One Night Only; vs Shawn--Ground Zero 97, Bad Blood 97, Rumble '98, WrestleMania 25, Mania 26; vs Punk--Mania 29; vs HHH--Mania 27, Mania 28, Mania 17; vs Brock--No Mercy 2002, Hell in a Cell 2015; vs Foley--KOTR '96, SummerSlam '96, KOTR '98; Hell in a Cell--Armageddon 2000; vs Angle--No Way Out 2006; vs Batista--Mania 23; Elimination Chamber--No Way Out 2009; vs Edge--Mania 24, One Night Stand 2008, plus maybe some others I'm forgetting. Most of those matches are pretty good-great. Although he was involved in some god awful stuff as well, which has of course been highlighted here; he's on my ballot, although he's not one of my favorites for the record either.

Fucking hell everybody!

vs Brock, HIAC would be the best obviously.

vs HBK, the first Mania one

vs Rey at RR2010

vs Punk at WM

vs Brock, HIAC from last year

those are the best and that is quite a good resume of best stuff

However, there is lots of really good matches underneath that. The Flair WM match, the Jeff Hardy matches, the Cena matches, the Kurt Angle match from No Way Out, and a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

May be semantics but I would only consider the 2002 HIAC as the best of 2000's from a worldwide perspective contender. The other stuff seems to at the ****/****1/4 level with most rankings. Exception would be how high you go with Mania 25 and 26 but when we did the 100 matches to watch before we die panel, I thought most of us agreed they were very good to great matches without being far removed from them being in the best match of all time level.

U_2001 list seems fair but that just reaffirmed that Taker doesn't have the high end stuff in my viewpoint. Much like HHH, he probably has around 15 matches I have ranked at **** or above in his entire career. Add to that a lot of shit that everyone agrees upon and he does feel like one of the biggest blemishes on the top 100 overall.

A blemish on the top 100?

If you add the 90's and the Bret and HIAC matches from 97, that's a lot of good stuff. However, if you add in his awesome punches, his aura, the way he carries himself, the way he can make matches feel like a big fight feel, etc... he's a good pick.

Heck, I think having Dynamite Kid and Kurt Angle on the list is WAAAY worse.

Where do people go on the Mr. Kennedy match from No Mercy 2006?

How about the match with Kane at Bragging Rights 2010?

What are your views on the encounter with Muhammad Hassan at Great American Bash 2005?

I am keen to hear opinions on the match with Sycho Sid at Wrestlemania 13.

I'd like to see evaluations of his bout with The Big Show at Cyber Sunday 2008

Or how about the match with Rob Van Dam at Vengeance 2001?

I'd like to hear more about these terrific match ups.

Where do people go on the Mr. Kennedy match from No Mercy 2006?

How about the match with Kane at Bragging Rights 2010?

What are your views on the encounter with Muhammad Hassan at Great American Bash 2005?

I am keen to hear opinions on the match with Sycho Sid at Wrestlemania 13.

I'd like to see evaluations of his bout with The Big Show at Cyber Sunday 2008

Or how about the match with Rob Van Dam at Vengeance 2001?

I'd like to hear more about these terrific match ups.

They are shit, so what?

I could list a ton of shit that Flair did around this period too.

Parv, I thought we didn't focus on the negatives, just the positives? Taker's case is his big matches, not the fact he could be really shitty if he didn't care.

A blemish on the top 100?

If you add the 90's and the Bret and HIAC matches from 97, that's a lot of good stuff. However, if you add in his awesome punches, his aura, the way he carries himself, the way he can make matches feel like a big fight feel, etc... he's a good pick.

Heck, I think having Dynamite Kid and Kurt Angle on the list is WAAAY worse.

Angle would be only contender for me. DK seems much more consistent and that is as someone that doesn't love the Bulldogs run.

I think Takers aura can certainly be lost in a lot of matches.

He was presented as a special attraction star and had the most protected title reign of sorts (the streak) since possibly the days of Bruno. That can add a lot of umphh for an individual and even in that circumstance, some of his matches are still mostly panned around here like the Mania 22, Mania 27/28, and Mania 30 efforts. Sure with the match at 30, he got hurt, but when that is all you have to judge him in a given year, that is what you have to go on.