Pro Wrestling Only

Big matches Reigns has on the table

Loss

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea this board in general has always been high on Reigns relative to the rest of the internet, Jimmy. hell, the Political Hit theory came out of here because of how much people respect his ability.

the Reigns hate mostly comes from the kind of people who still judge wrestlers by the number of different moves they use per match. that's the majority of online fans but what can ya do

Oh, I would also count a Shield three-way separately.

Future Wrestlemania mainevent, if you ask me.

That makes perfect sense from a WWE storytelling stand point. But I think a Shield reunion against a huge threat (a well booked Balor Club maybe?) would be a bigger deal than a three way.

Nothing with Kevin Owens in is interesting.

I would argue that an Owens match is the most interesting match Reigns can have because,

1) Owens is the best worker in the company on a weekly basis and will surely drag something great out of Reigns, who granted, I don't loathe, but even the idea of this thread being made confuses me a little. He's average, good on his best days, and dreadful at his worst.

2) Owens is credible and the crowd can buy into him beating anyone, which I believe is still an effect of him pinning Cena last year.

Meaning what exactly? That Chris Jericho has regressed? Even there, Jericho is still an excellent worker.

I'm as open minded when it comes to what can be great in wrestling as anyone. And I honestly can see someone thinking Jericho is a great worker right now. If you interpret him as a comedy worker, then, yeah, totally.

People complain about Reigns not doing enough moves, I think he does too many. The weekly dives should be a once in a year spot and I don't really like the apron kick thing. What you do between the moves is as important as the spots and I love the stuff Reigns does. The loading arm thing is great, and punching the mat is one of those recognizable taunts that could be bigger than wrestling as a pop culture taunt.

But then again I like Reigns, specially his comebacks. They feel explosive and exciting no matter what, and appealing to children and women is one of the reasons I like it so much, it reminds of the crowd reactions in the territories. I'm in my mid 20s so I should be cheering for Owens and Ziggler I guess, but those genuine mark reactions are one of the things I like the most about pro wrestling.

I can see Reigns being as big as Batista when it comes to drawing. Maybe he reached that level already. He won't bring 10 million weekly viewers to Raw like Austin or Rock but he'll be successful.

People complain about Reigns not doing enough moves, I think he does too many. The weekly dives should be a once in a year spot and I don't really like the apron kick thing. What you do between the moves is as important as the spots and I love the stuff Reigns does. The loading arm thing is great, and punching the mat is one of those recognizable taunts that could be bigger than wrestling as a pop culture taunt.

Thats one thing that bugs me about modern wresting as a whole, I remember growing up guys with have signature moves that wouldnt be used every match like Razor Ramon and his choke slam, Nowadays guys have much deeper movesets and they still feel like they have to go for them or use them every match. I thinks that was babyface Kofi's biggest problem, he had alot of fun moves and spots that would be cool to see if youve never watch his matches but after a while its like you know whats coming.

To backtrack briefly, I agree with most of the post Mania stuff being the big difference in Reigns. He was irritating when he was the chosen one but was being framed as this underdog title chaser. Now he is the chosen one and he is being framed as the chosen one. His "the guy" shtick is perfect for him. He is occupying that space that Cena occupied for years in a different way, not so much a tweener but a conscious hybrid, being a charicter that will divide the fans. I think he will get more and more cheers with each big time performance.

As someone who kind of hated Reigns for a while (not sure if I ever talked about it here), that is what it is for me. I always thought he was pretty good, especially after he had the Bryan and Brock matches on back to back ppvs (tremendous performances - both). That proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that he could be great if they stopped cutting his legs out from under him and started booking him for 2016 fans instead of 1995 fans.

I think Reigns is also going to wind up being sort of an informal/implicit internet darling killer. I see them setting the ground work for Owens, Cesaro and Zayn to eventually be ready for matches with him to. It is brilliant because it plays into that concious hybrid thing I mentioned earlier. Reigns vs the MANY "internet darlings" is something that will galvanize fans in sort of a pure-fan-kayfabe way. If Reigns has a PPV match against Zayn it will have me. I will absolutely turn into a 8 year old rooting for my favorite wrestler during that match (as an aside, I think that match is going to be a huge one for them sooner rather than later). If they are smart they are going to use the blueprints for Cena/Punk and Cena/Bryan to book Reigns for the next 2-3 years probaby. There are lots of fresh variations they could put in. They proved how effective it could be with Styles. Their last match was AWESOME (overbooked, but awesome when they were actually wrestling). Reigns is great and when he is in there with someone who is experienced and athletic they can be great.

I see a sort of staged list of people that can and will keep him an interesting champion.

Stage 1 - no order

Ambrose (should be next)

Brock II

Owens (wont be surprised if this is next - though I hope they keep playing up his heel characteristics)

Rollins

Cena

Stage 2

Zayn (This is where I think the money is long term. Zayn chasing Reigns and finally being the one to overcome him sounds huge to me in a year or so)

Cesaro

Styles (Round 2)

Rusev (lesser)

Bray (lesser)

Seamus (Round 2, lesser, though I want to see it get a big program)

Stage 3

Balor

Joe

Nakamura

I can see all those things happening if they want them to and I can see it all being really good. That doesn't even include Taker or people who could come back for one offs like Batista (PLEASE) or The Rock.

And the best part of the Reigns reign is that someone should get a huge rub when they finally beat him. he hasn't just been built as the best, he has been built as an unbeatable monster. No one can put this guy down one-on-one. Brock fucking Lesnar couldn't even put him away. When someone does it is going to shine. (this means they will probably have The Rock beat him - sigh)

I need to see another 1 on 1 Reigns-Lesnar match. Preferably at a big show like SummerSlam or WM. If I was booking I'd do them at Slam this year, then do Reigns and Cena at WM next year

i would not have done the Seth return the way they did, because Roman shouldn't be losing the belt yet, and Seth obviously shouldn't come back and not win......so how they book that program is gonna be interesting. Obviously Seth lost the title without actually losing.......but he also won it underhandedly.........him against HHH seems like the natural feud and maybe that is why HHH has been off TV since Mania. Before Seth got hurt that was the planned Mania match

god... you are probably right but I hope not. The styles matches were great except for the overbooking. They need to just let Reigns put on good matches. At this point he can probably keep just about anyone looking pretty strong (maybe even better) while beating them.

I hate them giving out belts, but I kind of wish they had just waited and given Rollins another world title since he never lost his. Let the "who is better" question hang in the air for a bit, maybe pay it off at Mania.

Reigns vs Rollins may very well define the company for the next few years. I do wish they had found a compelling way to slow build the tension between the two once Rollins is back. Honestly though, I am pretty happy with the main event scene right now so I am being knit-picky. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I don't really see how they could have had Rollins come back and not immediately go for the title. That's kind of the ready made story for a guy who got injured as champion and never lost the belt. It wouldn't have made a lot of sense to me to keep Reigns & Rollins apart and I thought it was kind of stupid how they did it right after WrestleMania last year. Rollins screws up Reigns' WrestleMania title match and Reigns wastes like 6 months battling Big Show & Bray Wyatt before going after the title again?