Pro Wrestling Only

Big matches Reigns has on the table

Loss

I was thinking about this and here's what I came up with:

- Brock Lesnar rematch

- Returning Seth Rollins

- Dean Ambrose after an Ambrose turn

- John Cena

This makes it clear there is zero reason for him to go dropping the title at any point in the foreseeable future. He's half of the four biggest matches they can do at this point.

Are there any I'm missing? I think there are others they could build up to be at that level, but those matches are mostly ready to be taken off the shelf and delivered at a moment's notice.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who I wanna see get a mini main event heel push? Bubba Ray Duddly. The guy's still solid, can bring the hate and works a good promo.

The Rock is always there.

Hope they don't hold off the Cena feud too long, Cena's health worries me. Love to see a heel Ambrose again. God that guy needs to turn badly.

Undertaker is a possibility until he isn't. Joe and Balor? The latter certainly isn't at the level of interest of the other names due to the built-in history they all have, but with the right intro and depending what direction they take things it could be just as fresh and intriguing a program.

Then you've got the next level of names that could get a one-off on network or TV including Cesaro, Zayn, a rehabbed Rusev, probably a couple others.

They're not lacking for things to do with him, and that's without officially turning him heel and riding out this Cena 2.0 character.

man that is a real impressive list. I have a feeling Rollins will initially be involved in the Shane/Stephanie stuff so I don't see that happening any time soon. I think Roman/Brock will main event Summerslam. Or they could go back to Brock/Bray at that show and do Cena/Reigns. Reigns/Ambrose would be great but it's a tough sell right now. They'd have to do a few months worth of rehab (at least) with Ambrose to pull it off. It really depends which stars are involved in the McMahon angle. The big stars that aren't involved with that will probably be with Reigns. AJ will probably be done with Roman by June when all the big names return. And with the way they think you can't discount a program with Orton either

Don't think Ambrose would have to turn. For a start, he would be a dreadful heel as a singles wrestler, doesn't have the offence to carry it off or the ability to be in control of a match for long periods. You could just run the match as it is now, since the fans who are in love with Ambrose are the types to despise Reigns. Just run it as a weird face vs face match with ambiguity.

That is the beauty of Roman Reigns right now, he can work with a face or a heel because his reactions are so mixed.

You know who I wanna see get a mini main event heel push? Bubba Ray Duddly. The guy's still solid, can bring the hate and works a good promo.

This is just a postsmark dream. Bubba Dudley is not a main event wrestler in a top company, no matter how fun and enjoyable his stuff is sometimes. He doesn't look or sound like a star.

This is the sort of mini feud they should be running though to freshen up the booking. Have a small feud over something petty and have Reigns run through him.

Don't think Ambrose would have to turn. For a start, he would be a dreadful heel as a singles wrestler, doesn't have the offence to carry it off or the ability to be in control of a match for long periods. You could just run the match as it is now, since the fans who are in love with Ambrose are the types to despise Reigns. Just run it as a weird face vs face match with ambiguity.

That is the beauty of Roman Reigns right now, he can work with a face or a heel because his reactions are so mixed.

Reigns = an inverse mid-80s Flair? Flair being the champ who was a heel but had a lot of love from the fans, so he could feud with a face, or you could have him feud with a heel, be the babyface, and not turn him. Reigns could be a champ who is nominally a face and would get cheers against many heels, but would be booed (resoundingly) against many faces. Could be a workable dynamic, at least for a stretch.

Nothing with Kevin Owens in is interesting.

Also, they need to retire the Money In The Bank gimmick as well, so tired and played out. The belt loses all credibility when you are essentially defending it under 24/7 rules like the fucking hardcore title. The title matches really suffer also, because:

a. they cease to mean anything when someone can come down at the end when they are exhausted and win the belt

b. the crowd are often sat around waiting for the Money In The Bank run in

If they must keep the match they should have the winner needing to give 24 hours notice before he cashes in the contract.

I find it interesting reading threads like these that are full of praise for Roman Reigns as champ and wanting him to keep the belt forever and have all these "big matches", and talk about how much of a star he is.

Is this the same guy that had one of the most heatless Mania main events and worst coronations ever? The same guy who's megapush has been a massive failure? The same guy people always beg Vince to stop forcing down their throats?

What has changed?

Have you always been on board with Roman and it's completely different people posting in threads? Has the little character tweak with him becoming a tweener helped? Was the Mania debacle all on Hunter? Is this just an interesting feud?

I'm curious because this appears like such an about face generally speaking.

What has changed?

The primary thing is his character since Mania. Otherwise? Not a whole lot. I think many people here have consistently praised his performance in big matches and as champion with a solid push, he has more intriguing matches on the table than anyone else. But pandering, same 'ol babyface pre-Mania is very different from this guy who's happy to do his Make A Wish work but otherwise does not give a fuck. Inviting/accepting a heel reaction without the turn. We've got John Cena. Don't need or want another one.

Is this the same guy that had one of the most heatless Mania main events and worst coronations ever?

Yes, against HHH - who also had heatless, boring, ineffective Mania main events against Randy Orton and Chris Jericho. See the common denominator here?

Roman Reigns had a superb main event the previous year against Brock Lesnar. The way that match was structured and played out was perfect. That should have been his coronation, not the stale predictable Money In The Bank run in that makes a mockery of having a title match at all.

The same guy who's megapush has been a massive failure?

Has it? He gets a huge reaction on every show, probably the biggest on the card. A mixed reaction, but a reaction nonetheless. All heat is good heat in the current climate. Noise shows people care one way or the other. Gone are the days when traditional heels and babyfaces will get the 'correct' reactions all the time.

John Cena got the same reactions in 2006, and had the same people saying his push had been a massive failure because he was getting a lot of boos from the smart crowd. That turned out just fine.

It isn't as if there is anyone else on the card to go to, so it is well worth persevering with someone who has a fantastic look, natural charisma, is a believable badass and has the crowd making noise.

The same guy people always beg Vince to stop forcing down their throats?

These days people are always begging Vince not to keep forcing someone down their throats.

Have you always been on board with Roman and it's completely different people posting in threads?

I've certainly always gone to bat for him. He has been badly let down by booking. He exudes star power, and has done for some time. His push in early 2015 was misguided, especially since at the time people thought Daniel Bryan was healthy and deserved a proper run with the strap as the most over guy on the roster. A lot of the heat on Reigns can be traced back to him getting pushed over DB at that time. Still, the company shouldn't have bottled it. He should have gone over Lesnar clean and had a proper run, instead of the stop-start stuff that happened over the last few months.

I didn't see any of his work in the second half of 2015 really so can't comment on that.

They have corrected the issues with Reigns since Wrestlemania by presenting him as a heel. They haven't done a traditional turn, but it works better that way -- he's not giving fans the satisfaction.

It doesn't feel so insincere anymore which is a huge plus. Reigns as a tweener is tolerable while Reigns as a delusional gee shucks babyface was awful. He actually feels like a real person now.

My general takeaway was that people were more-often-than-not pissed off at the way/questioning the way Reigns was being booked. HHH making Reigns look like a chump, Reigns checking Twitter to see if his BEST FRIEND is okay, Reigns hardly being around when his BEST FRIEND was getting the shit kicked out of him, the corny lines, etc. Once Reigns dropped a lot of these elements and became 'The Guy' instead of being a 'Good Guy' (like his gimmick implies), things started to turn the table. The work has been there for a while now and if the last few weeks are any indication of what's to come-- its all up from here.

Nothing with Kevin Owens in is interesting.

Also, they need to retire the Money In The Bank gimmick as well, so tired and played out. The belt loses all credibility when you are essentially defending it under 24/7 rules like the fucking hardcore title. The title matches really suffer also, because:

a. they cease to mean anything when someone can come down at the end when they are exhausted and win the belt

b. the crowd are often sat around waiting for the Money In The Bank run in

If they must keep the match they should have the winner needing to give 24 hours notice before he cashes in the contract.

I disagree with Kevin Owens not being interesting because a lot of people are into him. For me, I was not a fan of his Kevin Steen work but he's had two interesting programs with Zayn and Cena (maybe Ambrose also cause the build with those two was better than Ambrose vs Lesnar).

Now with MITB, I agree with they need to get rid of that concept but the PPV is on the books for them and WWE isn't giving any indication of getting rid of it.

Has it? He gets a huge reaction on every show, probably the biggest on the card. A mixed reaction, but a reaction nonetheless. All heat is good heat in the current climate. Noise shows people care one way or the other. Gone are the days when traditional heels and babyfaces will get the 'correct' reactions all the time.

I've been to 3 house-shows headlined by Reigns since the backlash started, and he's gotten a huge reaction each time. Easily the loudest on the show, so I wouldn't say the push has been a massive failure. Last show I went to was a month ago, and there were plenty of Reigns shirt's on display in the crowd.

As for when we got onboard with Reigns, I've liked the guy ever since he started to shine in the Shield. I think early in 2014, he was the obvious breakout star of the group - best look, most potential to improve as a wrestler, and a real charisma. I remember his promo after the 3rd Wyatts match where he asked the crowd "What's my name?" and he got a great reaction. He looked like a can't miss. Obviously, they managed to blow that due to clumsy booking, but by that time he was proving his working credentials by having the best match of the PPV three times in a row (vs Bryan, vs Brock and vs Big Show in early 2015)

I've been to 3 house-shows headlined by Reigns since the backlash started, and he's gotten a huge reaction each time. Easily the loudest on the show, so I wouldn't say the push has been a massive failure. Last show I went to was a month ago, and there were plenty of Reigns shirt's on display in the crowd.

As for when we got onboard with Reigns, I've liked the guy ever since he started to shine in the Shield. I think early in 2014, he was the obvious breakout star of the group - best look, most potential to improve as a wrestler, and a real charisma. I remember his promo after the 3rd Wyatts match where he asked the crowd "What's my name?" and he got a great reaction. He looked like a can't miss. Obviously, they managed to blow that due to clumsy booking, but by that time he was proving his working credentials by having the best match of the PPV three times in a row (vs Bryan, vs Brock and vs Big Show in early 2015)

Was that the same promo on Main Event - wherein he cut Renee Young the bedroom eyes and flashed her a secksee grin - whilst the women in the crowd swooned and shrieked with glee?

'Cause THAT Roman Reigns looked like money. The dude lost a lot of that vibe, but he seemed on the cusp of being something "cool" there.

I know Nash and Hall aren't exactly considered the most popular guys in the business, but those two guys have a pretty good clue about how to make money in wrestling. And their old adage of, "If the ladies wanna fuck you and the guys wanna be you, then you're money." was something that seemed to fit Roman to a T for awhile there.

And it absolutely could again.

I see elsewhere that some people are wondering aloud why a lot of people are turning around in their opinions on Reigns in the past month or so. And to that, I'd just say that - actually allowing the guy to behave naturally and act like a human being can work wonders. It's something that should trickle down the roster, because it'd be completely beneficial to everyone in my view.

Bad booking would still be bad booking, for sure. But at least the performers would stand a chance of eliciting honest emotion and building some sense of attachment with their audience that way. And, once they've done that, then the piss poor booking doesn't seem quite so bad.

At this stage - their biggest problem is that they're out there having these awesome, action-packed matches. But if the people have no investment or attachment to the characters, then the wins don't matter. The losses don't matter. The stakes don't matter. There's no sense of consequence.

Not everyone is going to be the next Daniel Bryan, of course. But they should absolutely aim for the same sort of connection he had with the audience. Looking back at WM30, I mean yeah. The guy was incrrrrredibly over at that point. But the reason that show felt like SUCH a huge deal was because - for a fleeting moment in time - the fans CARED about an outcome. It wasn't a matter of them just hoping a guy might win. It was them being TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY, 100% all in on a guy. Their night would have been WRECKED and RUINED with a Daniel Bryan loss on that night. That's something you just don't see very much in modern wrestling anymore. But it's not like it's impossible to achieve that again.

Again - not saying there's a handful of Daniel Bryans just waiting to be produced or manufactured. Not at all. But, at some point, they've got to remove the handcuffs and allow these guys the chance to at least get in the game.

Was that the same promo on Main Event - wherein he cut Renee Young the bedroom eyes and flashed her a secksee grin - whilst the women in the crowd swooned and shrieked with glee?

'Cause THAT Roman Reigns looked like money. The dude lost a lot of that vibe, but he seemed on the cusp of being something "cool" there.

That's the one. Man, that guy was so cool before Vince started writing him "Suffering Succertash" promos.