Pro Wrestling Only

UFC 200: Because Lesnar is a Pro Wrestler

Ricky Jackson

He really should go into Mania as champ with a goal of making someone in dropping the belt that night. Not even sure at this point who the options are that haven't been tainted and are young enough that WWE would consider them, but it almost doesn't matter. They just need to try with someone and build that person from now until then with that goal in mind.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope they continue to subordinate all talent to him and put the belt on him because it is probably the push I need to go from "guy who watches Raw most weeks, but generally dislikes it" to "guy who doesn't watch Raw and pirates WWE content when it looks appealing to him."

A billion times this. Not a fan of Brock, and the sense of entitlement that surrounds him because he's "legit" makes him even less fun to watch.

He really should go into Mania as champ with a goal of making someone in dropping the belt that night. Not even sure at this point who the options are that haven't been tainted and are young enough that WWE would consider them, but it almost doesn't matter. They just need to try with someone and build that person from now until then with that goal in mind.

Well, I mean they could bring up Samoa Joe as a worldbeater with an undefeated streak and pay known tough guys to do jobs for him all the way to Mania, but no way do they do it.

Well, I mean they could bring up Samoa Joe as a worldbeater with an undefeated streak and pay known tough guys to do jobs for him all the way to Mania, but no way do they do it.

Exactly. It'd arguably stand as good a chance as any of working, but they should really decide in the next month or 2 who that guy is and run with it. Whether its Reigns, Ambrose, AJ, Cass, Balor, Joe or whomever. The key is to commit to that individual scoring a decisive win on the biggest possible stage and building to it as an historical event.

They fucked up by not doing Reigns-Lesnar at Mania this year. It would have been better for everyone involved. But the moment has passed.

I'd like to see him work with Joe or AJ, but I'm not holding my breath on either. They do such a terrible job in general of using their part-time superheroes.

They fucked up by not doing Reigns-Lesnar at Mania this year. It would have been better for everyone involved. But the moment has passed.

I'd like to see him work with Joe or AJ, but I'm not holding my breath on either. They do such a terrible job in general of using their part-time superheroes.

They really fucked up by not having Reigns beat him last year.

I think him winning his fight against Mark Hunt makes him 100 times more interesting.

I feel the exact opposite. Him losing to Hunt would've left WWE scrambling after he beat the Streak and hasn't "made" anyone since. What would the WWE's next move have been after a Hunt loss? We'll never know, but that's a hell of a lot more interesting to consider IMO. Either way, we'll get a match and victory over Randy Orton. Talk about a pedestrian pair-up that very few people asked for or wanted, but at least it will be solid in the ring.

How can you put the belt on a guy who's never around? The last time Lesnar was champion, they just never mentioned him unless he was on the show. Doing that again would kind of defeat the purpose of making him champ to capitalize on the publicity. I suppose they could have Heyman come out and cut promos on his behalf every week, but that'll get old in a hurry. But who the hell knows what this dumbass company will do.

I will say, though, that I'm actually kind of excited about Lesnar/Orton. At least, as excited as I can be about anything WWE does these days. I think it has Goldberg/DDP potential.

I think him winning his fight against Mark Hunt makes him 100 times more interesting.

I feel the exact opposite. Him losing to Hunt would've left WWE scrambling after he beat the Streak and hasn't "made" anyone since. What would the WWE's next move have been after a Hunt loss? We'll never know, but that's a hell of a lot more interesting to consider IMO. Either way, we'll get a match and victory over Randy Orton. Talk about a pedestrian pair-up that very few people asked for or wanted, but at least it will be solid in the ring.

I don't think Lesnar Orton is an interesting match up. Actually, I like the idea of more Lesnar MMA fights than the idea of more Lesnar WWE fights.

Perhaps WWE should consider putting other guys in shoots. What could go wrong? That's never hurt a wrestling company, has it? :)

I love when people bring this up for New Japan yet ignore that's pretty much how Inoki managed to become a bigger star than Baba and New Japan bigger than All Japan in the first place :) Sometimes it works too. Takayama became a far bigger star due to his PRIDE fights despite not winning a single one.

Perhaps WWE should consider putting other guys in shoots. What could go wrong? That's never hurt a wrestling company, has it? :)

I love when people bring this up for New Japan yet ignore that's pretty much how Inoki managed to become a bigger star than Baba and New Japan bigger than All Japan in the first place :) Sometimes it works too. Takayama became a far bigger star due to his PRIDE fights despite not winning a single one.

Not exactly comparable to WWE for many reasons -- the culture of the countries, the respective performances of the wrestlers in shoots, nevermind that Inoki's weren't really shoots. Were any other than the Ali fight?

I think it was more cases of worked bouts turning into shoots a couple of times with Inoki than outright MMA-esque fights. Anyway I don't see why it's not comparable. Plenty of american pro wrestlers have been good (and probably terrible) at MMA too.

I know that Brock has only had about 25 matches since returning in 2012, but I haven't enjoyed the majority of his performances as much as others. The only matches that I can recall enjoying and wanting to watch again are:

*vs. John Cena April 2012

*vs. CM Punk August 2013

*vs. Seth Rollins vs. John Cena January 2015

The second Cena match was interesting on first viewing, simply because we hadn't seen anything quite like it in the modern WWF/E, but as others have said, it quickly became a novelty. And with the WWE style being as soul-less and homogenized as I can recall during my time as a wrestling fan, the fact that Brock beat Mark Hunt doesn't really affect my interest one way or another. If someone like Jack Swagger was able to go out there and have a psuedo-shoot-style match with him, then sure Lesnar's victory would have peaked my interest. But, in the world of the WWE, unless Brock mauls Orton in a few seconds, what difference does it make?

At the moment my interest level for Orton/Brock sits at "standard Brock match", so slightly above main roster main event level, and I don't see this changing.

I don't think Lesnar Orton is an interesting match up. Actually, I like the idea of more Lesnar MMA fights than the idea of more Lesnar WWE fights.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in it either - I just think it will be solid from an in-ring perspective. But I don't care about it, at all.

I really hope they continue to subordinate all talent to him and put the belt on him because it is probably the push I need to go from "guy who watches Raw most weeks, but generally dislikes it" to "guy who doesn't watch Raw and pirates WWE content when it looks appealing to him."

A billion times this. Not a fan of Brock, and the sense of entitlement that surrounds him because he's "legit" makes him even less fun to watch.

x2

The night of Brock's UFC return Dave was virtually insisting WWE should put the belt on Lesnar and build the company around him immediately. Despite the fact that even Dave has reported Brock hasn't been a draw for a while now. Putting aside that Dave just loves anything MMA/amateur wrestling. I don't really remember it working the last time Brock was the champion and a champion who isn't even mentioned on television unless he has a PPV match upcoming kinda devalues the title.

Judging from the reaction of some UFC fans to the fact there was a SummerSlam commercial during the UFC telecast I doubt there's a much of a crossover in interest between WWE and MMA as so many think.

I don't really remember it working the last time Brock was the champion and a champion who isn't even mentioned on television unless he has a PPV match upcoming kinda devalues the title.

The easy counterargument here is that most WWE title reigns don't "work" these days and that WWE realises keeping something off TV is the most efficient method they can actually execute in keeping someone or something relevant as seen with Sasha Banks recently.

Wouldn't Brock be exempt from WWE testing as a part-timer? I mean, there's no point testing him if he isn't there and suspending him is largely pointless since he's gone so much anyway.

I figure he must also have an unspoken exemption since I can't see them testing him before a PPV he's advertised, and yeah, you can test him after a WrestleMania or a SummerSlam main event or whatever, but why bother if he'll be gone anyway?

Suspending him now might be something they feel they have to do because it's such a huge news story, but even if they wait another week to announce it, he'd still be cleared by SummerSlam.

I guess it's more of a commission issue if New York state suspend him for two years with SummerSlam being in Brooklyn, but would pro wrestling even fall under the same remit as legitimate fighting?

Obviously this won't happen to Brock but it's probably worth remembering as well that Billy Gunn got fired for testing positive for a body building competition.