Pro Wrestling Only

UFC 200: Because Lesnar is a Pro Wrestler

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not having him in a title match at Summerslam now looks dumb, you can still have him beat Orton and do a Brock title program against whichever Shield guy has the belt, which would actually bring welcome heat to the usual sluggish "off-season" months of Sept-Dec. Brock winning or defending the title in the cage at Hell in a Cell (esp. against Reigns) would be pretty compelling right now.

Still don't get the upside to announcing an Orton match prior to this fight. Depending on the outcome, perhaps its a matchup with booking possibilities that make sense thic oming Monday or Thursday. But prior to tonight? I'm an unabashed Brock mark and still looking forward to the match because its Brock and his matches are always fun. But this one feels ridiculously cold from the jump and I'm not sure how you heat it up as a program, even if they bring in Brock as an even bigger attraction following tonight.

While not having him in a title match at Summerslam now looks dumb, you can still have him beat Orton and do a Brock title program against whichever Shield guy has the belt, which would actually bring welcome heat to the usual sluggish "off-season" months of Sept-Dec. Brock winning or defending the title in the cage at Hell in a Cell (esp. against Reigns) would be pretty compelling right now.

Dunno, based on the post-fight press conference keeping him out of the title scene seems like a good idea for now given that there looks like to be a good chance of him wanting to fight again and trying to restart his MMA career.

Dunno, based on the post-fight press conference keeping him out of the title scene seems like a good idea for now given that there looks like to be a good chance of him wanting to fight again and trying to restart his MMA career.

He can want whatever he wants, but he's not fighting in UFC without Vince's approval for a couple more years.

My thinking on this is pretty much:

• Your champion should be your biggest star whenever possible, and as of right now he's your biggest star.
  • He has more main event cache than anyone else right now, meaning Brock vs. almost anyone feels worthy of headlining a PPV, which you can't say about anyone else (including Cena).
  • With the exception of Cena (and Rock if he counts), he's the only guy they have who the media cares about. Ditto key partners (2K, ESPN, toy companies, adverisers, etc.)
  • The "legitimacy/"he wins real fights" factors of UFC means way more to casuals than diehard wrestling fans often realize. (The counterargument to this being the failed pro wres careers of Severn, Shamrock, Rampage, etc, but none of those guys had the name that Brock has established or Brock's status on the card within pro wrestling.)
  • I'm someone who thinks having a world champ who rarely appears is a good thing, esp. if you have two world titles and three secondary men's titles over two separate brands. The false idea that fans will think, "The RAW world title's only being defended 3 times in nine months? What a rip off!" helped cause the oversaturation we're in now. One Brock promo is worth twenty from anyone else.
  • There's true novelty and potential in Brock being both a UFC and WWE champ simultaneously (even if you think his chances of beating Stipe, Overeem, or Cain are low).
  • If Vince and co. are going to constantly bemoan the company's lack of credibility in the media, then they should do a better job of seizing the opportunities when they come, esp. during down periods of stagnant inadequacy. You can't say "No one takes us seriously! Our ratings are great!" and then get cold feet when big opportunities fall out of the sky.

I know Dylan and others have suggested that the idea of Lesnar as a box office draw is a fallacy and that he hasn't actually moved the needle in terms of money/sales/buys, but WWE so actively works against any one talent being a draw that I don't fault him for that. I have to assume he moves merch, and he brings so many other strong marketing positives that I don't think "JYD sold out the Superdome" thinking is really applicable here.

I don't know why you don't make Brock the champ of both brands rather than having two belts.

Have him make the title mean something and only defend it four times a year like a UFC or boxing belt.

Make the Ic and us titles the focus of each show for the monthly ppv and then when the world title is defended, it will mean more on the big shows.

Also have the woman's belt on one show and the tag belts on the other show.

The problem with Brock is that we have the evidence to know he would be an amazing vulnerable monster in his 2002/2003 run and the pre-Suplex spamming return matches. He is just dreadfully boring as an unbeatable character. You can make squashing someone compelling but Lesnar is no Hashimoto or even Goldberg in that regard.

What killed Brock to me was when the whole "Suplex City" became a marketing argument and his matches became basically a bunch of suplexes for the audience to count along. Like everything, when something organic turns into a gimmick, it usually turns into crap.