TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, WingedEagle said:

Anyone ever bought wrestling tshirts off redbubble?  They've got some fun looking ones for Kawada and wrestlers you can't find elsewhere, though obviously far from official.  Curious as to the quality and sizing.  Are these going to ruin the rest of my laundry or is it a decent shirt?  Never bought off here or PWTees for that matter so don't know what to expect from such outlets.

I buy posters and some artwork on there and that stuff has always been good quality. I don't know about shirts but they run sales almost constantly.

Melissa Coates posted this on Facebook in response to someone asking what she looks for in a man:

Image may contain: text that says 'Funny. Generous. Loyal. Ethical. Ambitious. Takes care of his body. Positive attitude. Always sees the good side of every situation. Glass is always half full. Not half empty'

She's been with Sabu for a long time. Not sure if they're still together but I had to lol at "Takes care of his body" being one of the items on her list.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:49 AM, KawadaSmile said:

Nice. Didn't know you were familiar with Fernando Pessoa, bubba. He was massively influential for the Brazilian modernist movement, and we study him quite a lot in our high schools. Dude was great!

Yeah, I love his stuff.

Would you namedrop some brazilian poets/writers that would maybe interest a Pessoa fan like myself ?

(I know, I know, PWO, but hey, Shanna is PWO !)

Someone on Twitter made a joke about how the time between Ziggler getting a title shot would be like if WWE brought back Power & Glory era Paul Roma & gave him a title shot in 1999. Made me realize how different time in wrestling now feels compared to how it felt when I was younger & growing up through it. Like the years 2005 or so to present all blend together for me. Fifteen years now feels like three years used to feel. Hard to explain.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, I love his stuff.

Would you namedrop some brazilian poets/writers that would maybe interest a Pessoa fan like myself ?

(I know, I know, PWO, but hey, Shanna is PWO !)

Carlos Drummond de Andrade, João Cabral de Melo Neto and Mario de Andrade are the go-to names from that time period, being heavily inspired by Fernando Pessoa himself. 

Not sure how well it translates to French, but I hope you have a good time with them!

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Someone on Twitter made a joke about how the time between Ziggler getting a title shot would be like if WWE brought back Power & Glory era Paul Roma & gave him a title shot in 1999. Made me realize how different time in wrestling now feels compared to how it felt when I was younger & growing up through it. Like the years 2005 or so to present all blend together for me. Fifteen years now feels like three years used to feel. Hard to explain.

I guess there are multiple reasons for that:

- The landscape of relevant mainstream promotions has been very stable since 2002 (mostly WWE, obviously).

- WWE has changed surprisingly little in the way shows look; compare a Raw of 2002 with one today (okay, take a pre-COVID-19 one) and then watch a 1984 TV show.

- In the same way (somewhat due to the first point), WWE has much slower in cycling talent than it has in the past. In the 80ies and 90ies, you can look at a card and can probably pin-point it to within a couple of months. Even three random matches would tell you the year. You have no prayer to do this with shows from the last two decades.

- I suppose most of us here are guys in our 30ies and 40ies, who started watching in 80ies or 90ies. I am sure that there are psychological studies in that regards, as something new always leaves much deeper impressions than when it becomes routine (for example, I am working the same job for 12 years now, but the first four years seem at least as long as the other 8 years to me).

42 minutes ago, Robert S said:

- WWE has changed surprisingly little in the way shows look; compare a Raw of 2002 with one today (okay, take a pre-COVID-19 one) and then watch a 1984 TV show.

This is by far the biggest factor. WWF in 1995 compared to 1985 look like two entirely different promotions. WWE in pre-covid 2020 compared to WWE 2010 might as well be the exact same show. Same sets, same wrestlers, only the announcers are (slightly) different. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Carlos Drummond de Andrade, João Cabral de Melo Neto and Mario de Andrade are the go-to names from that time period, being heavily inspired by Fernando Pessoa himself. 

Not sure how well it translates to French, but I hope you have a good time with them!

Thanks for the references, bubba !

On 8/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, sek69 said:

This is by far the biggest factor. WWF in 1995 compared to 1985 look like two entirely different promotions. WWE in pre-covid 2020 compared to WWE 2010 might as well be the exact same show. Same sets, same wrestlers, only the announcers are (slightly) different. 

I recently rewatched Summerslam 2016, because it happened to be on FS1 and I was at the show and was curious to revisit it. Here's the main card.

4 Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens defeated Enzo Amore and Big Cass Tag team match[49] 12:08
5 Charlotte defeated Sasha Banks (c) Singles match for the WWE Women's Championship[50] 13:51
6 The Miz (c) (with Maryse) defeated Apollo Crews Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship[51] 5:45
7 AJ Styles defeated John Cena Singles match[52] 23:10
8 Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson defeated The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) (c) (with Jon Stewart) by disqualification Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship[53] 9:09
9 Dean Ambrose (c) defeated Dolph Ziggler Singles match for the WWE World Championship[54] 15:18
10 Nikki Bella, Natalya, and Alexa Bliss[Note 1] defeated Becky Lynch, Naomi, and Carmella Six-woman tag team match[55] 11:04
11 "The Demon King" Finn Bálor defeated Seth Rollins Pinfall and submission-only match for the inaugural WWE Universal Championship[56] 19:24
12 Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) defeated Randy Orton by technical knockout

Everyone on the show is still in WWE, and in basically the same spot, except:

- Enzo and Cass (basically got themselves fired, otherwise would still be there)

- Nikki Bella and John Cena (not regulars anymore but still appear)

- Gallows and Anderson (and they were there until pretty recently!)

- Ambrose and Jericho (who would likely still be there if AEW wasn't a thing)

Oh, and they cut two matches for time, because it's a 4 hour slot with a million commercials. It was the ones involving Jericho and Ambrose. Wonder how they made those selections...

Love the guy on the Thesz Board who ingenuously asked Lou what was the difference between a wrist-watch and a wrist-lock. Lou played it with a straight bat.(For context, he was an Israeli fella whose English was otherwise fairly strong).

So in a hilarious turn, the RightToCensor.com site, which was a real thing WWF did in the 90s, now redirects to AEW's website which is funny since it's shown in the chyron for the people in that stable on RAWs of the day.   So old Raw eps on the network are shadow advertising for AEW in 2020.

About 10 years ago, when Netflix was a DVD subscription service, I used to grab random wrestling DVDs they had. I have this vague recollection of watching a few DVDs from an early 00s promotion that used a lot of ECW guys. They were not prominent at all (definitely wasn't XPW or 3PW or CZW). Does anyone else recall this? Googling is getting me nothing.

2 hours ago, Migs said:

About 10 years ago, when Netflix was a DVD subscription service, I used to grab random wrestling DVDs they had. I have this vague recollection of watching a few DVDs from an early 00s promotion that used a lot of ECW guys. They were not prominent at all (definitely wasn't XPW or 3PW or CZW). Does anyone else recall this? Googling is getting me nothing.

Maybe this?

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/wrestling-underground-dvd