TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

How much of the KTVT footage of Dallas/World Class survived?

Not asking where, or how to get it.

Just genuinely curious what is known to be out there, and what is known about it. (Like does WWE own it, or does the station)

That's a good question and one I've wondered for a while. There is a decent amount from the 83-84 heyday out there, and probably beyond, but I'm far less familiar with the late 80s era. I'm not sure if any has ever turned up on the Network. Probably a good chance the promotion never had the tapes to the Ft Worth shows, just the Sportatorium, but who knows 

And so I watched "Fight with my Family". It has to be the most by-the-numbers movie ever in the history of by-the-numbers movie. Seriously, this is some really tepid "believe in your dreams" Hollywood bullshit with fake-ass acceptance-for-the-freak underlining. Directed like a straight-to-VOD stuff. The worst thing is that it's not even a good "pro-wrestling" movie. There is this totally ridiculous scene of Paige's brother shooting on her, then they treat her RAW stuff like she doesn't have a scripted promo to deliver (and almost like the match is a shoot itself). Most ironic is the way the WWE Training Center training is portrayed, because you get why they very seldom turn out anyone good, as Paige basically does train the other girls by themselves. One cute thing was having one of the model-girls be called Jeri-Lyn (the idea that such a 20 something model had a 4 years old daughter is laughable as itself though, all the more hat she would end up in WWE at that time if that was the case). But most of the storyline was about how WWE is the dream-land of pro-wrestlers (again, how ironic).

I'll say this though, Florence Pugh was decent in the role, and there was a bunch of legit funny lines ("dick me dead burry me pregnant"). The Rock cuts a promo. Lena Heady should fire her agent because going from a lead role in Games of Thrones to this is absolutely mind-blowing. 

Page's story surely deserved way better, as in, a real script and a real director, not some hack doing WWE promotional work, basically (and you really don't see much of it anyway, there's a cameo of Sheamus & Big Show, Miz go through the screens and that's about it). I did not remember that the damn butterfly belt was still around when she won it. She sure was the one kickstarting the change and deserves probably more credit than she is been given even today in the company....

Anyway, better than "Ready to Rumble", that's about as much as I can say...

53 minutes ago, El-P said:

And so I watched "Fight with my Family". It has to be the most by-the-numbers movie ever in the history of by-the-numbers movie. Seriously, this is some really tepid "believe in your dreams" Hollywood bullshit with fake-ass acceptance-for-the-freak underlining. Directed like a straight-to-VOD stuff. The worst thing is that it's not even a good "pro-wrestling" movie. There is this totally ridiculous scene of Paige's brother shooting on her, then they treat her RAW stuff like she doesn't have a scripted promo to deliver (and almost like the match is a shoot itself). Most ironic is the way the WWE Training Center training is portrayed, because you get why they very seldom turn out anyone good, as Paige basically does train the other girls by themselves. One cute thing was having one of the model-girls be called Jeri-Lyn (the idea that such a 20 something model had a 4 years old daughter is laughable as itself though, all the more hat she would end up in WWE at that time if that was the case). But most of the storyline was about how WWE is the dream-land of pro-wrestlers (again, how ironic).

I'll say this though, Florence Pugh was decent in the role, and there was a bunch of legit funny lines ("dick me dead burry me pregnant"). The Rock cuts a promo. Lena Heady should fire her agent because going from a lead role in Games of Thrones to this is absolutely mind-blowing. 

Page's story surely deserved way better, as in, a real script and a real director, not some hack doing WWE promotional work, basically (and you really don't see much of it anyway, there's a cameo of Sheamus & Big Show, Miz go through the screens and that's about it). I did not remember that the damn butterfly belt was still around when she won it. She sure was the one kickstarting the change and deserves probably more credit than she is been given even today in the company....

Anyway, better than "Ready to Rumble", that's about as much as I can say...

I saw this a few months ago and I echo your thoughts. It felt like a 90 minute commercial for WWE. I think it's more of a movie for non-fans.

Also it's kinda awkward viewing now considering everything that has come out about the Knight family in the last month. 

8 minutes ago, cactus said:

Also it's kinda awkward viewing now considering everything that has come out about the Knight family in the last month. 

What has ? Saraya basically denied the story of her kissing a kid or something and that was never heard about again. Did I miss something else ?

Paige surely deserves tons of credit for getting where she got with the family bagage though. Kinda sorta makes sense she would also hook-up with some abusive assholes like del Rio (yeah, that's piss poor psychology on my part but still, that thought floated on my mind watching the movie). And then another asshole (dont remember who that was) gets her sex videos online... And then she gets hurt and retires at 25. Not an easy life for that girl.

1 hour ago, cactus said:

I saw this a few months ago and I echo your thoughts. It felt like a 90 minute commercial for WWE. I think it's more of a movie for non-fans.

Definitely a movie for non-fans. And a movie that non-fans tend to really like. And fans too. I liked it, in fact. 

Also, check out this review that actually calls it a triumph of feminist film-making: https://screen-queens.com/2019/08/22/fighting-with-my-family-finally-a-feminist-paean-to-pro-wrestling/

El-P joked that the film should've been made by a "real filmmaker" and not some hack. It actually was. Stephen Merchant is a highly-acclaimed writer/director. Maybe his particular brand of comedy is not everyone's cup of tea, but he did win a Peabody Award (among many others) for co-creating/writing the original Office. 

As for it being "by the numbers" and "cookie cutter," well, read the review above. It makes a strong argument that, actually, there aren't all that many female-centered movies getting produced by Hollywood in a given year - especially not where the central conflict isn't "How do I get the man of my dreams?" or "How do I balance my worklife with raising a child?."

It didn't have the gritty realism of Aronofsky's The Wrestler and, obviously, when a movie is bankrolled by the WWE, it's going to be heavily pro-WWE (even when it, oddly, fails at this), but you kinda have to know what movie you're going into. It was never marketed as anything but what it is. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

What has ? Saraya basically denied the story of her kissing a kid or something and that was never heard about again. Did I miss something else ?

If you want an example when Paige went on Steve Austin's podcast in 2015 she told a "funny" story of Daniel Bryan awkwardly arriving at her parents promotion just as her dad and brother were beating up a trainee and hanging him out of a 4th floor window. She seemed to think this was hilarious though Austin wasn't laughing and changed the topic.

7 hours ago, DMJ said:

Also, check out this review that actually calls it a triumph of feminist film-making: https://screen-queens.com/2019/08/22/fighting-with-my-family-finally-a-feminist-paean-to-pro-wrestling/

She's not wrong about some of the point she makes about the feminist part, but that's a testament of how godawful Hollywood is rather than how good this movie is. And really, "triumph of feminist filmmaking" is really embarrassing, it's about as dumb as anything Stephy would say. 

7 hours ago, DMJ said:

El-P joked that the film should've been made by a "real filmmaker" and not some hack. It actually was. Stephen Merchant is a highly-acclaimed writer/director. Maybe his particular brand of comedy is not everyone's cup of tea, but he did win a Peabody Award (among many others) for co-creating/writing the original Office. 

Good for him. The movie still has the most cookie-cutter script ever and looks to be directed by guys sleepwalking during the shooting of an afternoon TV-movie. Like I said, a good performance from the lead role and some legit funny lines. Vince Vaugh probably has taxes to pay though... 

I mean, G.L.O.W. is right here...

6 hours ago, Kadaveri said:

If you want an example when Paige went on Steve Austin's podcast in 2015 she told a "funny" story of Daniel Bryan awkwardly arriving at her parents promotion just as her dad and brother were beating up a trainee and hanging him out of a 4th floor window. She seemed to think this was hilarious though Austin wasn't laughing and changed the topic.

Ooook. Family bagage, like I said.

But hey, we've heard for decades about how Stu Hart was torturing young rookie in the Dungeon and everybody was having a good laugh about it. I guess perception has changed and it wouldn't be considered so funny now. (never thought it was, ftr)

Well there is a tiny difference between stretching out a trainee (still abuse but at least there's somewhat of a "we're toughening them up for rasslin" defense) and straight Suge Knight-ing a motherfucker from a balcony. 

I believe if you asked anyone in the UK scene they probably had some stories about the Knight family's various antics running the gamut from normal promoter carny type fuckery to "that family weirds me out" level stuff. 

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Well there is a tiny difference between stretching out a trainee (still abuse but at least there's somewhat of a "we're toughening them up for rasslin" defense) and straight Suge Knight-ing a motherfucker from a balcony. 

Well, yes indeed. The Suge Knight reference really hit me ! :lol:

Makes the whole movie even worse though, yes.

I think all of the recent issues with the Knights are coloring your perception of the movie (and understandably so). I saw it theatrically, long before all of this came to light, and I thought it was heartfelt and hilarious. Definitely one of the best pro wrestling movies ever (not that there's exactly major competition in that arena). My sister, who has never watched a wrestling match in her life, absolutely loved it.

Of course, certain aspects of the story were embellished, and there were some fictional characters and situations, but that's the case with pretty much every biopic (wrestling or otherwise). It was still more factual than most biopics.

I thought it was great!

BTW, it's based on this documentary, which I haven't seen.

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I think all of the recent issues with the Knights are coloring your perception of the movie (and understandably so).

Uh.... You haven't paid attention. Like I said before, I wasn't even aware of the Knights stories at all.

And if we're being honest, the "feministic" aspect is really soft Hollywood bullshit anyway. I mean, even a movie like "All the Marbles" from 1981 which basically treats pro-wrestling as a shoot, deals with much more serious issues of women in pro-wrestling like the fact it was manipulated by men or cases of sexual favors. And the pro-wrestling aspect, despite the way it's handled, is actually so much better (I mean, the final match in Fight with my Family is ridiculously non-epic). 

We should make a thread about pro-wrestling movies...

4 minutes ago, El-P said:

Uh.... You haven't paid attention. Like I said before, I wasn't even aware of the Knights stories at all.

Sorry, @El-P, my bad. In the future, I'll be sure to obsessively read every single syllable you've posted before I dare respond. ;) 

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

Sorry, @El-P, my bad. In the future, I'll be sure to obsessively read every single syllable you've posted before I dare respond. ;) 

Yeah, actually reading posts before replying to it. Good idea. :lol:

I agree there was some really funny lines like I said.

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

Yeah, actually reading posts before replying to it. Good idea. :lol: 

Wait... You do realize that more than one person posted about the movie, right? My original response was directed at more than just you.

Like this fella here, who - wait for it - commented on the recent news about the Knights. ;)

10 hours ago, cactus said:

But we can sit here and pretend this is The El-P Show if you want. :P