Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I grabbed a fancam off Highspots to see a Shane Douglas/Scorpio match from 98.  I consider the May 96 match the best ECW match of all time and my 1996 MOTY.  They could not recapture the magic, but they worked hard and provided a good main event. They even referenced the finish to the more famous match. 

Its a good show altogether with a minimum of the more "charming" chants the house show fans provided.

One match I took notice of was Bam Bam Bigelow vs Bubba Ray Dudley, the finish ended up in a Triple Threat/Dudleys brawl which really popped the crowd. I think for lack of a better term, ECW left money on the table never doing a  program between the groups at November To Remember 98. 

It lead me to thinking that Heymans strength as a booker was also a weakness. He would be too careful not running matches or angles. Somehow we never got one RVD vs Tajiri or vs Super Crazy match in 99 or 00.  

Just something I noticed, but not worth a thread.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing with Scorpio is I remember his promos being pretty awful. It never detracted from how much I enjoyed him but overall in his career I think it held him back. I don't think he was a talent who would go out and force you to push him with a hot angle or feud. And he never struck me as someone who could be bothered to play politics.

I agree completely Vic, and even when we did get certain exciting protected match ups, like Taz/Tajiri, they went out of their way to still keep them protected in the execution. It did keep ECW fresh with a fairly limited roster but it's hard not to wonder what could have been.

6 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I really feel like Scorpio is a guy who should have been so much bigger than he was. A guy his size, doing the shit he did. I feel like money was left on the table.

I agree, Scorp was great and never got his due in WCW, the WWF or even ECW.

Now I disagree with Clayton about Scorp's promos. They were not yood in a traditional sense, but I found them charming. 

I think his best mic work was his last night in ECW and he he kept beating guys to avoid leaving. Something about "C'mon Louie, you know you love WWF " Cracked me up.

As the way I heard it at the time, Scorpio was very difficult. To the point his bridge is still kinda burnt there.

Speaking of ECW wasting talent. I think One Man Gang deserved much better there. He was used okay on house shows, working with Sabu RVD mostly. 

But on TV he was an after thought I don't know why. He was a name, talented and willing to job to anyone. I think he would have made a fiod replacement for Bigelow 

But in the nineties it felt like he could not catch a break.

5 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

He always seemed a little high in his ECW promo's, but..well... you know...

Agreed that ECW definitely could have done something with OMG other than Spike Dudley squash victim. 

I must be the only person in the world who liked Brian Lee in the Triple Threat more than Bigelow.

I thought Lee got them more out and out heel heat. I'm not sure Bigelow would ever be a full on heel in ECW, or most places really. 

I honestly think that whole deal with Bigelow rejoining the Triple Threat and Candido turning on Lance Storm was the most nonsensical booking Heyman did in ECW.  Even stuff that was bad in 2000 made sense. 

Then you have Heyman emasculate Candido and Storm by threatening to fire them if they cost the other guy the tag title.  I think being tag champion should be motivation enough. 

Actually I remembered something as stupid in Justin Credible needing to throw the tag title down to challenge Dreamer. Then at the next pay per view Justin Credible threatens to vacate the world title if they have the triple threat match. Heyman screaming "He has us by the balls!!!" Rather than just stripping him of the title.  Same show Raven didn't appear on for I think no reason. 

WCW existing in 2000 really kept people from noticing how bad ECW had gotten. Which is a shame; because even at its bare minimum, wrestling is dangerous. Especially in ECW, so it sucks to see guys risk their bodies when the office can't hold up their end. 

On 7/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Where the fuck does that Mu-Ken move from WWF No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 comes from?

If I recall correctly, the story is that it was only done once, by Jinsei Shinzaki on Mitsuharu Misawa. It made its way onto No Mercy and VPW2, and became kind of "a thing" for deep-cut pro wrestling video game nerds.

2 hours ago, gordi said:

If I recall correctly, the story is that it was only done once, by Jinsei Shinzaki on Mitsuharu Misawa. It made its way onto No Mercy and VPW2, and became kind of "a thing" for deep-cut pro wrestling video game nerds.

Is that when he walked around the ring on the ropes?

33 minutes ago, Victator said:

Is that when he walked around the ring on the ropes?

Maybe? Seems like a strong possibility.I'd also nominate the move where he balances Misawa on his head then bridges over backward into a pin (kind of a Northern Lights variation) as a dark horse candidate... 

I'm aware of it more as a thing that got discussed in wrestling game threads than as a thing that happened in the ring, if you get my meaning. I don't think I have ever seen it, just read about it.

Maybe Smile has seen it.

Hey, Smile, have you seen it? If so, what did it look like?

17 hours ago, Victator said:

Speaking of ECW wasting talent. I think One Man Gang deserved much better there. He was used okay on house shows, working with Sabu RVD mostly. 

I am happy I saw this match live and it was a damn fun 10-minute house show match, but I will never NOT think it was weird that the time I saw One Man Gang vs Tommy Rogers live, it was on an ECW show of all places.

9 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am happy I saw this match live and it was a damn fun 10-minute house show match, but I will never NOT think it was weird that the time I saw One Man Gang vs Tommy Rogers live, it was on an ECW show of all places.

Was it in Ozark Alabama, I was so sad I missed those shows. 

On 8/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Blehschmidt said:

I really feel like Scorpio is a guy who should have been so much bigger than he was. A guy his size, doing the shit he did. I feel like money was left on the table.

Still one of the greatest debuts I've ever seen. I was wild for him when he showed up as Ron Simmons' tag team partner at that one Clash of the Champions.

Then... They teamed him with Marcus fucking Bagwell. Really?! It was all over for him after that.

I think he was used fairly well in ECW, but I assume the reason he never made it far in the WWE is because Flash Funk sucked as a name, gimmick, everything. Plus, wasn't he a pothead? Unless you were in DX or the BSK, that wasn't going to get you very far in WWE, seemingly.

There was a rumor that Scorp did something at Wrestlemania 13 that would have gotten him fired if not for a promotional war. That he was one of the people released in 99 when the WWF thought it was safe to do that sort of thing. Scorpio himself has alluded to it in shoots.

WWE did resign him in 06 when they thought ECW was going to be a touring brand and needed veterans. Then ECW got folded into the Smackdown tour and he was fired again. Scorpio is convinced  HHH still hates him over whatever he did in 97. 

In hindsight, Scorpio could have been used better in WCW,, but I was a big fan of the Bagwell team. I really thought they were going to beat the Blonds for the tag belts. 

Bagwell seemed to be a guy who got put with guys who really didn't need a partner, minus Riggs. 

From Cracked dot com:

"Soon, all of Argentina was abuzz with the news that the Fab Four would play a series of concerts in the country. It even became a point of national pride. Sure, Brazil kept winning World Cups, but the Beatles were coming to Argentina. Naturally, the country's leading TV stations competed to book the band for a live appearance. Channel 9 ultimately secured a signed contract, but their rivals at Channel 13 were undeterred and simply scheduled the band for the same night. You may sense trouble brewing. 

When the band landed, Channel 13 challenged Channel 9's contract and used their government connections to have a judge award the Beatles concert to them instead. That's when Channel 9's CEO deployed his secret weapon: a squadron of muscle-bound wrestlers from the hit show "Titans in the Ring." The wrestlers charged into the airport and physically abducted the band, racing out pursued by the judge, cops and Channel 13 executives. Channel 13 briefly re-kidnapped the drummer, but later released him, presumably after executives realized that Ringo was not going to strap on a one-man-band outfit and carry the evening. 

* It wasn't the Beatles. It was actually a group of unconvincing American lookalikes called the Beetles. They had been performing as a Beatles cover band in the US when a shady Argentinean promoter spotted them and booked them for a lucrative South American tour -- without telling anybody they weren't the real deal."

I assume that at the very least it's based on fact; there was enough information in the larger article to suggest so. 
"Titans" seems to have some fans around here so when I read the article I thought I'd put it up here, and if it reeked of horse-cack then someone would be able to refute it. Glad you enjoyed it.

I was reading an issue of Victory Sports Wrestling and they did a Top 50 WWF list, which seemed like a precursor to the 500. 

Hogan was one and Savage was two. Probley the part I found confusing is how some tag teams were ranked. Especially in the case of the Killer Bees where Blair was way ahead of Brunzell. 

I know Bret was ahead of Neidhart and Dynamite slightly above Davey because of the unspoken workrate criteria they use. But why would you place Blair that far ahead of Brunzell?

Maybe they just forgot Brunzell. Or Blair was more accomplished as a single.

Ted Arcidi was 50. 

7 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Who the fuck is The Mad Kurt?

He's Kurt. And he's Mad.

FWIW the new Editor in Chief of PWI  did a multi tweet thread apologizing for the Marty Scurll thing, said his intention was to not leave out any mention of #SpeakingOut allegations but in practice the limited size of each blurb didn't really allow for them to do that properly.