Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Some people are pointing out that Jake was already removed from the AEW roster page, but going by the Wayback Machine, he never appears to have been added at all. Which is weird, because he got an "...is #AllElite" graphic which usually means you're a full roster member. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

Some people are pointing out that Jake was already removed from the AEW roster page, but going by the Wayback Machine, he never appears to have been added at all. Which is weird, because he got an "...is #AllElite" graphic which usually means you're a full roster member. 

It's weird because while he 100% got the graphic, he torn his ACL in his first AEW match. Maybe they never added him because of it?

Looks like the story is he was drinking and asked his partner to have a threesome with a female friend of theirs and got jealous because he thought his partner was paying more attention to the girl than him. He wouldn't leave when asked and in the scuffle he tore his partner's shirt and scratched his arm. So while it's still assault and DV because they are together, it seems like more of a drunken temper tantrum than him straight up beating the shit out of someone. Not a good look either way mind you, but that seems to be what happened.

Also, it sucks that this appears to be how he was outed since I don't recall any mention of it before, his partner is (was?) Duke Hudson from NXT. 

47 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Looks like the story is he was drinking and asked his partner to have a threesome with a female friend of theirs and got jealous because he thought his partner was paying more attention to the girl than him.

Yet another story of a threesome gone wrong. It’s a tale as old as the ages. When will people learn? Whenever you have a threesome, somebody always ends up feeling left out, and chaos inevitably ensues. This could’ve all been avoided, if only threesomes were outlawed. 

On 5/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, Alucard said:

the Authors of Pain's new Wrestling Entertainment Series debuts June 4 in England with an interesting looking card:

WES World Championship: Adam Scherr (braun strowman) vs. former UFC Star, Alistair Overeem

WES Womens Championship: Lina Fanene (nia jax) vs. CJ Perry (lana)

WES Tag Team Championships: The Legion of Pain (AOP) vs. Wesley Blake & Steve Maclin (forgotten sons)

WES Womens Tag Team Championships: The Influence (Madison Rayne & Tenille Dashwood) vs. Deonna Purrazzo & Chelsea Green

Killer Kross vs. Samuray Del Sol vs. Jonah

Lince Dorado vs. Dean Muhtadi (mojo rawley)

preshow:

Mike Bennett vs. Biff Busick

Dirty Dango vs. Levis Valenzuela Jr. (no way jose)

In a huge shocker, Chelsea Green says that this event has been cancelled. 

3 hours ago, Alucard said:

I thought Adam Scherr was controlling his narrative... What a letdown. The biggest comeback of the year that everyone waited for won't happen. I'm talking about TAFKA Nia Jaxx of course.

5 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Yet another story of a threesome gone wrong. It’s a tale as old as the ages. When will people learn? Whenever you have a threesome, somebody always ends up feeling left out, and chaos inevitably ensues. This could’ve all been avoided, if only threesomes were outlawed. 

Best dry humor lines I've heard in a while. :lol: I mean, that's El Classico indeed. 

I forgot this guys even appeared on AEW. This is a case of the old buddhist tale of the countryman asking the buddhist monk if buying a horse is a good thing or not, and the monk answers "I don't know if this a good/bad thing" everytime something new happens and the countryman asks about it... or something. Jake Atlas signs in AEW. Good thing ? I don't know. He injures his knee. Bad thing ? I don't know. In the end, it seems like AEW dodged a bullet by not investing time in him "thanks" to the knee injury. Life and all...

4 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Love the idea of Strowman fucking up and catching a receipt off Overeem 

What could possibly go wrong? It's not like Overeem beat Lesnar or anything...

Strowman trying to prove he can hang with Brock by trying to stiff him only to get punked will never not be funny. He tried it TWICE!

On 5/31/2022 at 5:36 AM, Alucard said:

And apparently its all down to the 'unforeseen' circumstances of the Queen's Jubilee, which apparently is creating issues for the live events industry. Personally, I'm not sure I can think of anything the Queen would rather do on her big weekend than head up to Nottingham (a traditionally Royalist city if you know your British history) and see the Artist FKA Nia Jax in action. Didn't they always say that the Royal Family were big fans of World of Sport back in the day?  

Yes, how could the AOP have known there might be some logistical issues with running an event in the UK the weekend they are celebrating the first monarch in their history to rule for 70 years. Those things just kind of sneak up on you. 

Speaking of Queens and whatnot, it always irks me whenever someone make reference to "wrestling royalty". Yeah, IRL that's actually called "nepotism" on a small scale, and "social reproduction" as a systemic issue. Royalty my ass. I see the Rock's daughter has signed with WWE. Unless she is completely worthless at pro-wrestling, I can't wait for the unbearable automatic push and praise she'll get. Not her fault obviously, she hasn't chosen to be the Rock's daughter, but be ready to hear some really bullshit narrative about "deserving it" and "working hard". How old are Trip & Stephy's daughters ? Mania 40 needs a main event.

This could warrant its own thread, and I could have written it in the relevant match thread but since it's something I'd rather hear people's opinions on:

I rewatched Misawa/Kobashi 10/98 the other night, and what struck me the most in comparison to great modern matches is the structure. They went 42 minutes and transitioned five times. They had some "back and forth" sequences, but it was always clear who was in control of the match, and either that person won, or the other won and that was the start of their own lengthy control: Kobashi then Misawa, repeated just three times over those 40+ minutes. The final 12 minutes or so of near falls are 4/5 minutes for Kobashi, the apron spot, and then it's all Misawa save for a token desperation lariat that's not even really a true near fall for Kenta. A great modern match will go back and forth significantly more, especially down the stretch. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience watching an older "big, action" match after having watched predominantly contemporary stuff. 

That’s how that style was, especially with whoever the senior member on the totem pole is. The 6/3/94 finish famously had a cutoff spot from Misawa that then led to Kawada basically getting no offense in the rest of the match. It also happened in the 1/20/97 match when Misawa took over and it was basically for good. 

That’s a way better way of dealing with stretch runs IMO, as the back and forth of modern matches leads to not selling bigger moves as well as the lead up to that stretch run in favor of quick momentum swings. Just doesn’t make much sense. 

He has improved, but let's be real too, he is still very limited in what he can do. IMPACT had him working mostly with Eddie Edwards, including in garbage brawls, for a long time as to make him look good and hide his weaknesses. When put in the ring alone (he worked a bunch of three ways, again involving Edwards) for a main event with Moose, who had been really, really good in big singles matches, he just did not deliver and was kinda exposed in that setting. Then he was used basically as Sid in ECW, showing up and powerbombing people through table and giving fist bumps to the crowd, which was a pretty fun short run as a babyface. I don't see what AEW would gain from signing him, they have shitload of great talent they don't have the time to focus on already. WWE could sign him back for sure, because he's tall and cut now, and better than he was before.