Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I've said this elsewhere, but I'd argue that 1986-87 was a definite transition period for the WWF. 86 was when they got rid of most of the remaining 70s stars, even Blassie and Albano (the latter partially due to his drinking problems), while 87 was when all of the top heels from 84-85 were either gone (Studd, Piper (who turned face before leaving), Iron Sheik (we all know why, but he was probably going to just put over Duggan and be phased out anyway, Bob Orton, Adrian Adonis)), or shunted way down the card (Bundy, who ended up leaving before Wrestlemania 4, Orndorff, who also turned face before leaving). Meanwhile, the new top heels were Race, Honky, Dibiase, and former mega-face Andre, while Jake, Savage, and Beefcake turned face and became the top babyfaces after Hogan. Kind of interesting turnover.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the Baba/Sakaguchi vs. Funks match from the Olympic Auditorium the only Baba footage we have from the NET TV era? Just so we're on the same page, the World Pro Wrestling Japanese Wikipedia page lists four months' worth of Baba matches that were broadcast on the network from April to August 1972, which went against Baba's wishes and led to Nippon cancelling the JWA program. I noticed that he wrestled Johnny Valentine on the first of June.

I am working on a four-part retrospective on the fall of the JWA for my blog and thread, to be posted on the 50th anniversary of Inoki's firing (December 13), and this information is relevant to the circumstances behind Baba's departure from the JWA.

b880b57aa1e9cb96ea26766514192527.jpg

The original NJPW roster. Row by row, left to right (though bear in mind that this was meant to be read right-to-left if the order confuses you): Kotetsu Yamamoto, Toyonobori, Antonio Inoki, Osamu Kido, Katsuhisa Shibata, Motoyuki Kitazawa, Shoji Ito, Little Hamada, Tatsumi Fujinami, referee Youssef Turk, Kazuo Sato, and Shinichi Kihara. Ito, Sato, and Kihara all retired in less than a year, although Ito remained with the company through its sales department until leaving as part of Japan Pro.

For anyone patient enough to wade through the often extremely poor video quality and equally poor wrestling of early 80s WWF Philly Spectrum shows, one of the true gems was the insane color commentary of Kal Rudman. He passed away yesterday at 91. On commentary, he had no filter and was totally unpredictable; full of praise for what he loved and unafraid to call out what he didnt. RIP 

Yeah, he was well known in Philly at the time through radio, but he was also a genuine fan of wrestling. During his run on commentary (80-82) Philly was pretty much Gorilla's town to run, but the timing of Kal's departure from the booth does coincide with Vince Jr buying the territory, so who knows. Kal did stay on as a backstage interviewer for several years though 

Kal's connections to the music industry were considered hugely, hugely invaluable to Sr. but ESPECIALLY to Jr. when he was trying to expand in 1984/85.  Kal was the Industry Name that Jr. figured could put out a good word to all his big name industry buddies, and Kal in exchange got to be involved in an industry that he dearly loved as a fan.  In fact, the only reason Kal and Dick Graham were taken off of Spectrum broadcasts had something to do with the Spectrum itself.  They decided to run shows with the NWA/WCW and it angered Vince so much that he dropped the televised broadcasts, and then kinda phased out the monthly arena show broadcasts a short time later anyway.

I often feel like Kal's role with the company was highly, highly underrated in hindsight and by all accounts Vince's friendship with Kal led to the floodgates being opened for celebrity appearances and endorsements of the WWF.  There's a strongly likely chance that Kal's influence helped make it easier down the road for Vince to book celebrities for shows, because the trust was there with Kal.  If you were in with Kal, you were in.

Kal ran a publication called Friday Morning Quarterback which at first when it was an underground magazine gained traction because he called the stardom of various performers, including Hall & Oates notably, before anyone else did.  After that he gained traction and trust in the industry and was taken in to the industry as a talent scout of future stars, and his track record was incredible, he had a real eye and ear for it.  Dude had pull and for good reason, in a seedy industry of sellouts and cynicism he was known as a genuine nice and honest dude that genuinely wanted to see people do well.

Kal was always fun to listen to. He was like a north east version of David Crockett. I might have to listen to some old Titans of Wrestling episodes this weekend. 

I just read that Kal's wife, Lucille passed away this morning. They were married for 63 years. Very sad and sweet at the same time. 

https://www.inquirer.com/news/kal-rudman-radio-friday-morning-quarterback-died-wife-lucille-20211202.html

Old couples often pass away at the same time. I worked in elder care for 23 years and many, many times I saw one partner pass and then the other pass soon after. It's actually quite beautiful.

Kal Rudman was an amazing man whose influence on the music biz lives on to this day. And Kal and Dick Graham are the best announcing team ever. They made every match at the Spectrum special.

My two guilty pleasure commentary teams are Gorilla Monsoon with Gene Okerlund, and Dick Graham with Kal Rudman.  Both crews shooting the shit about whatever while SD Jones is headlocking Johnny Rodz for ten minutes is comfort food for me, as is when they mark out when the crowd gets hot for something like an atomic drop.  So underrated and don't get anywhere near enough love.

Yeah, Gorilla and Mean Gene are a crazy underrated team. A lot of folks dont like them because it was two babyface announcers but I love the pairing. Helps they were commentating those 84-85 MSG shows that were full of hot matches and with a buzz in the air because of the rise of Rock N' Wrestling and sudden mainstream attention.

Damn, I knew I should've created a thread for Kal

8 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

My two guilty pleasure commentary teams are Gorilla Monsoon with Gene Okerlund, and Dick Graham with Kal Rudman.  Both crews shooting the shit about whatever while SD Jones is headlocking Johnny Rodz for ten minutes is comfort food for me, as is when they mark out when the crowd gets hot for something like an atomic drop.  So underrated and don't get anywhere near enough love.

It's kind of the same dynamic as Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn. At their best they fill in the lulls while you're waiting for the peak.

Ironically Kal's wife Lucille passed away two days after her husband. They had been married 63 years.

Legendary South Jersey music business insider Kal Rudman and his wife, Lucille, have died (msn.com)

8 hours ago, Strummer said:

Yeah, Kal had such enthusiasm for the business. When he became a backstage interviewer he always seemed to be on the verge of cracking up at the guys.

when did the Philly shows stop being shown on PRISM? I want to say around 88/89. I think Kal and Dick were both gone by then

Feb 89 was the last televised Spectrum show. Graham was there the whole way, and in a cool touch, Kal joined him for 3 or so matches on the final card 

I uncovered some very deep and very funny lore while researching my current project. In October 1972, while NJPW was still a struggling independent organization, Inoki joined the cast of a now-forgotten kids show on Fuji TV, which lasted from October until March 1974. "Anton" performed gymnastics and even had a tie-in single released titled "Anton Rhythm". Sadly, no footage has been released, but we have a couple photos and fifty-five seconds of said single.

kipappa_inoki.jpg.1961e05b060cc9b9a2c7b4f2fdeb145a.jpgkipappa_inoki02.jpg.97360b23327eac63b3dc8be66889c8c7.jpg

I don't think it's a secret that I'm a fan of the hoss in pro-wrestling.

Today I was thinking about WWE developmental & their training & I just started laughing aloud at the idea of some trainer trying to get a guy like The One Man Gang to do forward rolls. Unless that forward roll has icing & cinnamon on it, that's gonna be a no from the Gang, dawg.

:lol: