Pro Wrestling Only

Speculation on the WrestleMania 33 card

BigBadMick

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rollins is out, my fantasy booking idea is to see HHH/Samoa Joe vs. Shane McMahon/Kurt Angle. Set up the Shane-HHH feud with Joe and have Shane promise to bring in someone who knows them both very well. Kurt has history with all three guys, Joe stays heel for now, HHH and Shane makes sense already. Rollins can help cost someone the match to keep his feud ready for his return if necessary. None of the four have to go too crazy with anything dangerous but all can have their spots in there to pop the crowd.

Dave says that WWE is being secretive about Rollin's condition. That usually is not good news. Just me but the sound of his voice made it seem that the chances of Rollins working the show are not good at least compared to how he sounded last Weds/Thurs when everything went down

They scrapped Undertaker-Cena because they thought they match had no benefit in building for the future, and that once the match was over, it set up nothing long-term. I actually thought that was pretty awesome, but it would be even more awesome if it extended to all the matchmaking on the show, and even better than that if some of the ideas thrown out for HHH (even here) involved helping creating a new top babyface.

They scrapped Undertaker-Cena because they thought they match had no benefit in building for the future, and that once the match was over, it set up nothing long-term. I actually thought that was pretty awesome, but it would be even more awesome if it extended to all the matchmaking on the show, and even better than that if some of the ideas thrown out for HHH (even here) involved helping creating a new top babyface.

When Lesnar vs Goldberg for the WWE Title is likely to main event the show, I see no reason to believe that "not building for the future" was a legit reason to not run Cena vs Taker. I think it's just Vince changing his mind and having a BS reason to justify it.

This whole Brock vs Goldberg thing became even more of a mess with the title for me. I am fine with Brock winning and HOPEFULLY finally putting someone younger over clean later. But the way its built the roles should be reversed. Brock as a challenger with one more chance to overcome his greatest hurdle is so counter-intuitive. He should be the biggest hurdle of all. Super-dad goldberg being finally thwarted by the man monster Brock who cares about nothing is such an odd payoff to put ALL your eggs into. As a showcase match it makes sense. As a title match that isn't the main, I could buy it. As THE title match with all the hype that will close the show, its odd.

Reigns vs Taker also seems to have a lot less luster on it since Brock beat taker at Mania and Reigns never got the clean win over Brock while he was at his hottest. Both are matches I am fine with in general and maybe the stories are working for others, but they are just sloppy and shortsighted to me. Ugh...

I am just hoping they do something good with Styles and Joe... preferably not a multi-person ladder match.

This is what we get when they change plans constantly. It wouldn't be so frustrating if we didn't see how capable they are of thoughtful, well planned wrestling from time to time

This is what we get when they change plans constantly. It wouldn't be so frustrating if we didn't see how capable they are of thoughtful, well planned wrestling from time to time

No, all this pessimism and unhappiness about the card is what you get when people start fantasy booking a show in November that's still 5-6 months away. People work themselves into a shoot about matches that have not been built to at all but are "announced" via rumor & speculation and then get mad when they don't happen. I'm convinced people would enjoy WrestleMania season a lot more if they'd just stop fantasy booking it and then getting mad Vince didn't hack their computer and steal their plans.

No, all this pessimism and unhappiness about the card is what you get when people start fantasy booking a show in November that's still 5-6 months away. People work themselves into a shoot about matches that have not been built to at all but are "announced" via rumor & speculation and then get mad when they don't happen. I'm convinced people would enjoy WrestleMania season a lot more if they'd just stop fantasy booking it and then getting mad Vince didn't hack their computer and steal their plans.

Sure, that is part of it, no doubt. But come on.... it is not frustrating that there isn't a more consistency and coherence in the way they book things up to their TOP SHOW? Both belts getting hot shot in the months leading up to take them off the guys who carried them for the lions share of the year, that is great, compelling wrestling? I generally try to be positive about the WWE and I get the compain-y internet fan isn't always a great look, but this is the EXACT kind of thing that even the WWE admits was once bad business for WCW (granted, a more exagerated version), the source cited for why we got incoherent, sloppy TV in the company's dying days.

The idea that perhaps internet oriented wrestling fans set unrealistically narrow standards for the WWE sometimes and that the WWE can be an somewhat dissonant universe focused more on branding and creating iconic imagery/moments than it is long term plans that create coherence and consistency are not mutually exclusive. This "shake everything up starting in January and completely reshuffle the deck" approach is irritating not because I want my guy in the main event, but because it is needlessly inconsistent. Even if you only believe 1/4 of the rumors coming from generally trusted sources you end up with a mess of ideas that higher ups just "haven't decided on yet" and that feels backwards to me. I am not complaining about how we aren't getting Joe vs Cena or Styles for the title or something. I am frustrated at the way the titles have been booked and the way they seem determined to undermine their own booking of Brock (constantly). To be clear, I am going to watch and I hope it is a good show; I just think a lot of the complaints about the leadup to Mania this year are warranted.

Wrestling fans have always speculated about what's coming. It's a sign of engagement.

Yes but the anger and the "ugh I can't believe they changed the plans!!" stuff that happens every year around Mania is ridiculous considering no one even knows what the hell the ACTUAL plans are and people convince themselves in November-January that things are going to happen a certain way and then get mad that's not what the Mania card is. Speculation & fantasy booking is fine but not when you get so overly invested in it that nothing but the card you personally fantasy booked is good enough.

What makes this card uninspiring is that there are seriously so many options like never before. Styles in particular has 8 programs that would've been desirable (Balor, Cena, Orton, Lesnar, Taker, HHH, Nakamura, Rollins) and yet it's looking like he gets a middle aged executive whose sole fighting style is poor punches and some stunts.

Months ago, I'd planned but never got around toa project that would've badly exposed how flawed this card is turning out to be. I'll do it for WM34.

Who has fantasy booking they are upset about? Where is this fantasy booking that people are latching to?

Let me rephrase, "I hope that many of the rumors are wrong and that there is coherence between what we have seen and are seeing now and the actual show." It isn't a change from one rumor to the next (though admittedly when I read "they don't know" or "plans are up in the air" it bothers me and maybe it shouldn't). It is the shuffling from what we have seen and the direction of things to what the rumors indicate will take place. That is frustrating. Again, I hope I am wrong. I hope the plan plays out and it appears they had a clear direction in mind all along.

Observer:

While details have been kept sketchy, Seth Rollins (Colby Lopez) suffered a torn right MCL in a 1/30 angle when his legs were dangling as Samoa Joe pulled him down for the choke.

On the 2/6 Raw show, the injury was covered but with nothing definitive said past teasing the idea he would miss WrestleMania. Right now, the company is going with the idea that he will be able to wrestle and that the match with HHH is still on.

Austin Aries, 38, has been cleared to wrestle after his orbital bone break. While this is not a confirmed done idea, it has been talked about a Neville vs. Aries title match at WrestleMania. On Raw this week, you could see the beginnings of the tease for it.

If thats the case, it makes sense for Aries not to wrestle until then, and nobody discussing the idea of him wrestling until the angle is shot. Aries doing those interviews in the ring with the different cruiserweights makes me feel that they are setting him up for that position so that when they do the angle off an interview it doesnt look so contrived. The show build is similar to the great 1981 angle in Georgia with Roddy Piper (in the role of Aries) vs. Bob Armstrong, although the dynamic was different since Armstrong was a babyface and Piper a heel.

I really feel like Seth being off the show is a net benefit, but that also likely means another year of half assed build for a feud no one has cared about for 2 years already. Seth's injury gives a Punk leaving WM 30 type of chance of changing everything for the better. Seth ain't shit, and I don't feel like he and HHH are going to mesh at all to begin with.

Observer:

Jim Ross wrote that he’s been hearing that Angle will be inducted into the Hall of Fame by Cena
I don’t know when or how extensively at this point, but the plan right now is that Angle will be doing at least some wrestling in WWE. He would have to pass a physical, and obviously at best it would be very limited
although they are doing a sleight-of-hand storyline and teasing it won’t happen, this is to build for a Wyatt vs. Randy Orton match that will be one of the main events at WrestleMania.