Pro Wrestling Only

Has wrestling gone overboard with the various streaming services?

rzombie1988

Has anyone tried out BJW CORE?

They only have shows from 2016 - 2018 and I haven't followed them closely in around 8 or so years, but I used to be a big fan and am curious to get back to following them.

It's not great. Lacklustre archival content, and slow turnaround on current shows - I've never matched up the dates to check, but I think certain shows might not appear on the service at all until they've aired elsewhere (on Samurai or on BJW's own Nico channel). Not ideal for something you're paying for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sendai Girls announced today that it will have a streaming service soon. Shimmer also has said that it's streaming service will be starting in a few weeks. They are going to start with uploading older footage first, (Vols 1 thru 60) then slowly add on from there.

I like the Fite app for the content. I hate the way you go to a real commercial break and then you get 20 seconds of show and then one of the interjected Fite app commercials. Pisses me off every time.

I won't bother with any app that can't even lays its ads out right. That is really basic shit.

Sendai Girls announced today that it will have a streaming service soon. Shimmer also has said that it's streaming service will be starting in a few weeks. They are going to start with uploading older footage first, (Vols 1 thru 60) then slowly add on from there.

That's really dumb on Shimmers part. They're already 2 years behind on shows. They should really work on getting volumes 80-100 out so you can actually know what's going on with the promotion.

I like the Fite app for the content. I hate the way you go to a real commercial break and then you get 20 seconds of show and then one of the interjected Fite app commercials. Pisses me off every time.

Odd. What were you viewing when you came across commercials?

I've purchased almost all of the RIZIN and EVOLVE events they've streamed and never encountered this before.

That's really dumb on Shimmers part. They're already 2 years behind on shows. They should really work on getting volumes 80-100 out so you can actually know what's going on with the promotion.

Im confused because I thought there was some Shimmer on WWN.

I have WWE Network and Highspots. If it comes to Roku, I will check out the Global Wrestling Network, because there is a lot of early TNA that I would like to see. I tried out Honor Club for a month, strictly to see Rhodes/Omega. And, there wasn't anything else on it that inspired me to continue after a month.

Im confused because I thought there was some Shimmer on WWN.

There is but it's just their IPPVs so it's like vols 85, 91 and 100. On their DVD releases they are only just getting to vols 80 and 81 now which has them close to 20 events behind.

I'd rather watch from the beginning, to be honest.

Shimmer is odd, because it's already two years behind or whatever, so what does up to date even mean?

Shimmer is odd, because it's already two years behind or whatever, so what does up to date even mean?

What number was their last show? That's up to date.

What number was their last show? That's up to date.

104 is taped, but the last one released on DVD is 79.

Does anyone have any sense about the economics of a streaming service for a smaller company? Is it profitable, or even close to break even for the likes of BJW, DG, AJPW, Stardom, etc? Three of those are admittedly recent so I'm sure they're far from the point where numbers need to be justified, but I'm very curious if there's enough market share for this many subscription services to succeed.

Not sure what they make, but the JAPW Video On Demand may have only made $9.99 as I maybe the only person who signed up to it and I only signed up for a month as they don't have much footage on there and I pretty much watched everything I wanted from it in a month.

Does anyone have any sense about the economics of a streaming service for a smaller company? Is it profitable, or even close to break even for the likes of BJW, DG, AJPW, Stardom, etc? Three of those are admittedly recent so I'm sure they're far from the point where numbers need to be justified, but I'm very curious if there's enough market share for this many subscription services to succeed.

I bet it varies by promotion. I would be interested to see if say Stardom is getting more money from Japan or the United States for their streaming service.

They will probably market it at first as a "Before they were Stars" type deal, as at the moment, more than half of the women on the main roster of the WWE have appeared in Shimmer. Depending on their release schedule, they could be catch up quickly but then the problem would be producing new content. Beside the Mania weekend show that they have done the last six years, Shimmer's taping schedule has traditionally held one taping in the spring (April-June) then a second in the fall (September-October) recording between 4 to 5 'Volumes' per taping. So unless they change that they will run into the problem of having to routinely provide content once they do catch up.

I bet it varies by promotion. I would be interested to see if say Stardom is getting more money from Japan or the United States for their streaming service.

May be misremembering this, but I think Stardom's English social media guy has said that most of the subscriptions are from westerners. Would make sense, since that's who the service is aimed at to begin with.

WAVE is probably weighted much more more towards Japan; they do money-off deals on tickets for subscribers. Also there's no English support and for a good chunk of time a while back the site wasn't even accessible outside of Japan (don't think they ever gave any explanation for it, either...)

I know this has very much moved to a catch-all for all news about the smaller streaming services, but there are just to many out there that it's absolutely ridiculous. So many smaller groups out there want their very small whole pie as opposed to joining up and having a smaller piece of a way, way bigger pie. Powerbomb seems to have the right idea, and I have no idea if they're profitable.