Pro Wrestling Only

Roman Reigns as the ace post-Wrestlemania

FMKK

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who did Cena beat not the previous ace.

Cena tapped out Triple H at Wrestlemania 22, who was the closest thing to "previous Ace" at the time.

To me, WWE ace goes Hogan, Austin, Cena ???. Ace has never been Lineal in WWE based on the history.WWE’s booking has never made sense in that department. to me.

They don't have to build around Bryan. They just need to give him good programs with good opponents and play to his strengths. Fans are going to keep him at a certain level regardless of what WWE does. I do think it's silly for Bryan not to at least get a title challenge to headline a PPV at some point -- at the very, very least -- but I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen. Bryan as a top guy I think works just fine. The problem is that there's a void at the top either way.

Oh, I'm not saying bury him in the mid-card. He should be a top guy, just not someone you build long term around. You can go month to month having him in important matches with the odd title challenge here and there without having him in your long term plans.

who did Cena beat not the previous ace.

Cena tapped out Triple H at Wrestlemania 22, who was the closest thing to "previous Ace" at the time.

To me, WWE ace goes Hogan, Austin, Cena ???. Ace has never been Lineal in WWE based on the history.WWEs booking has never made sense in that department. to me.

Would Bret have been considered the ace if Hogan would have stuck around and put him over?

Why on God's green earth would anyone think Seth Rollins is viable as a long-term baby face ace for them now? Because he's strung together some good matches recently?

I still haven't recovered from those endless matches with Owens and Jericho. And sure. He's improved his baby face game in some areas since then, but that's hardly high praise. He had nowhere to go but up.

X-Pac was the promotion's workhorse in 98, but no one was exactly pegging him as the next guy or anything. Sometimes, it's enough for a guy to just hold down a spot on the card and contribute some good matches.

Rollins doesn't have an ounce of presence. He doesn't carry himself like anything special. He doesn't sound or look like a star in his black merch shirts. There's just nothing there.

Stylistically, you'd think he should function like a Jeff Hardy or a CM Punk niche baby face. But there's no identity. There's zero personality and no trait or defining characteristic to pinpoint. What's Seth Rollins supposed to be? The Architect? The Kingslayer? Freakin? What the actual fuck does any of that even mean? It's just empty, hollow words. The guy's got a dozen nicknames & none of them mean a thing. There's no context for any of it. Seth is just another guy on the roster that can sometimes have good matches.

Maybe I'm in the minority here. Maybe ProWrestlingOnly isn't the ideal place to call for stronger emphasis of characters over in-ring acrobatics, but it is what it is. I just feel like he's lacking in a lot of categories. But then again, I'm not a weekly viewer either. So they've already lost me as a regular consumer. Perhaps Seth really *is* the best of what's left and I'm just not the desired demo at this point.

Why on God's green earth would anyone think Seth Rollins is viable as a long-term baby face ace for them now? Because he's strung together some good matches recently?

Agreed. Too many people, especially here, think "good rasslin'" is all you need to be a top draw, company ace, etc. If that were the case, ROH would have been the #1 promotion in the world 15 years ago.

Maybe I'm in the minority here. Maybe ProWrestlingOnly isn't the ideal place to call for stronger emphasis of characters over in-ring acrobatics, but it is what it is. I just feel like he's lacking in a lot of categories. But then again, I'm not a weekly viewer either. So they've already lost me as a regular consumer. Perhaps Seth really *is* the best of what's left and I'm just not the desired demo at this point.

I'm in the same minority then. Wrestling is, was, and always will be character-driven. I actually like Seth more than you, but you're right, what's his character?

A wrestler that isn't a character is pointless to me. "Movez" don't mean shit. Context does. Caring about the people in the ring, knowing who they are, what they're about - that's what matters in wrestling.

Everyone raved about Miz vs. Seth last night, but I couldn't care less. Why? Because the match had no real purpose, I didn't want to see it, and I knew what the outcome would be. The guy I was rooting for and cared about - The Miz - wasn't ever going to win. About the only benefit I see is that these kinds of matches will give The Miz credibility with the movez/rasslin'/ROH bingo hall types, which will help when he's eventually (hopefully) elevated back up the card.

Rollins doesn't have an ounce of presence. He doesn't carry himself like anything special. He doesn't sound or look like a star in his black merch shirts. There's just nothing there.

You are actually absolutely right. His babyface work, at least in terms of character presentation, is lacking. He still has some of his worst tendencies when he wrestles, doing more flippy dippy stuff, having no presence during spots, and sometimes no selling things just to do those kewl movez.

However: the crowd is eating everything he's doing right now. People are cheering him constantly, they even chant "Burn it down" to the tune of that ridiculous emocore scream. The crowds are carrying him to that top babyface spot, believe it or not.

While I don't think that would happen, it would be wise for WWE to ride that wave as much as they can. They could even salvage Roman by turning on Seth.

He's in the exact right spot on the card right now. He can do a hot match for the belt, and the belt gives a reason for the match that doesn't require him talking. Could he do a couple of "main event" matches if Roman turned on him? Sure, by the current standards of what's required in terms of main event heat. But that's about it.

I actually enjoyed the shit out of that opening match with Miz, by the way.

And I could absolutely see Seth as a valuable player where he's at. In the mid-card. I just have no desire to see him back up top. I simply don't believe he has all the tools. As a one-off challenger here or there? Sure. That's harmless enough. But I don't ever want another 2015 with him or anything.

But you're right. Fans are buying him in this role. But a big part of that could be that he's just doing his thing - sticking to his guns, going out there, and having matches. They've eliminated the 20 minutes of dialogue, then hammy acting, and the whining promos from his profile at the moment. And it's working. But the moment you propel him back into the main event program, you reintroduce ALL OF THAT stuff back onto his table, and he simply isn't equipped for it.

You can bet he'd be half as over in a heartbeat. Just like that.

I say stick with what's working. Like I said, sometimes it's enough for a guy to just carve out a nice spot for himself and have good matches.

Of all the guys they have, Rollins comes closest to checking all the boxes. He's over, relatively young and healthy, and has matches the crowd won't shit all over. I'm worried that the Lesnar and Joe matches represent Roman's future: heels intentionally working as boring as possible to keep them from being cheered over him.

Is it really any better if he's a heel who intentionally works as exciting as possible to get stars?

Seth doesn't check all the boxes, because his promos are fucking dreadful.

And the last time he wrestled anything resembling a blow-off match, it looked like anything but that. His idea of a blood feud was whatever that thing was with Hunter - absolutely absent of any grudge or malice and totally devoid of any sense of danger or urgency. It was just there. You could have missed the years of mentor/protege build up on television and bypassed all the knee injury stuff & nobody would have noticed a bit.

If he's checking all the boxes, then you've misplaced a few of them.

My question for those who doubt Seth is: who else besides Braun? Because I really don't think Braun is the kind of guy who should be in long title programs because that calls on him to look vulnerable at some point. Roman is dead. Lashley hasn't lit the world on fire since his return. The only other person I can think of is Finn, who probably isn't very popular among people who already are against Rollins.

And people aren't calling for him to win the belt just because he wrestles good matches. It's because he's easily one of the most popular acts in the company right now.