Pro Wrestling Only

WWE SUMMERSLAM 2018 THE BIGGEST PARTY OF THE SUMMER

KawadaSmile

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Boss Rock said:

I thought Takeover was better but Summerslam at least got two of it's biggest matches right in terms of booking. Takeover literally fell flat on its face with that ending.

I was more excited for Takeover but it felt like they got up their own ass for that one with some of their choices and match times. 

Also, look, part of the problem is me. 

At the end of the day, they're bulletproof. They're rolling in the TV rights now. They have the Saudi government paying them up the wahoo. They're expanding into new markets in new ways. So the answer to this is that nothing matters. 

But, it's really hard to figure out what the hell they're trying to do and what they think they're going to accomplish over time. You can look at 98/99 WCW and everything at least makes sense. The ending of the streak makes sense. Nash putting the belt on him makes sense. Hogan taking it makes sense. Savage, DDP, whatever. Even the stupid stuff Russo tried, you at least get what he was trying to accomplish. The politics are decipherable. With this, it's crazy political hit conspiracies on top of pleasing the Saudis on top of Vince's stubbornness on top of a three year plan which has to be bs, because it just has to be, because it makes no sense, with a wellness violation and the year of Authority Rollins and grumpy Brock and Goldberg inexplicably getting superover and did I mention political hits and Hunter after Reigns actually got over due to Vince and Sheamus? 

We study this stuff over multiple decades and companies and bookers and this is like playing chess with a moron playing checkers and trying to figure out what the hell he's trying to do (and somehow he's still winning!).

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Also, look, part of the problem is me. 

At the end of the day, they're bulletproof. They're rolling in the TV rights now. They have the Saudi government paying them up the wahoo. They're expanding into new markets in new ways. So the answer to this is that nothing matters. 

But, it's really hard to figure out what the hell they're trying to do and what they think they're going to accomplish over time. You can look at 98/99 WCW and everything at least makes sense. The ending of the streak makes sense. Nash putting the belt on him makes sense. Hogan taking it makes sense. Savage, DDP, whatever. Even the stupid stuff Russo tried, you at least get what he was trying to accomplish. The politics are decipherable. With this, it's crazy political hit conspiracies on top of pleasing the Saudis on top of Vince's stubbornness on top of a three year plan which has to be bs, because it just has to be, because it makes no sense, with a wellness violation and the year of Authority Rollins and grumpy Brock and Goldberg inexplicably getting superover and did I mention political hits and Hunter after Reigns actually got over due to Vince and Sheamus? 

We study this stuff over multiple decades and companies and bookers and this is like playing chess with a moron playing checkers and trying to figure out what the hell he's trying to do (and somehow he's still winning!).

I love this.

Revival looked great, Gulak looked great, people are crazy if they think Carmella was anything but the best part of that 3 way, Hardy/Nakamura was each guy's best singles match in ages, Bryan would still be wayyyy more interesting to me with that mat wrestling style he talked about all retirement and so far hasn't done a damn thing with, and the whole show was fun without being actually great. 

4 minutes ago, EricR said:

Revival looked great, Gulak looked great, people are crazy if they think Carmella was anything but the best part of that 3 way, Hardy/Nakamura was each guy's best singles match in ages, Bryan would still be wayyyy more interesting to me with that mat wrestling style he talked about all retirement and so far hasn't done a damn thing with, and the whole show was fun without being actually great. 

Thanks, my dude. She was easily the best part about that very good match, but won't get anywhere near her dues.

I've liked her whole title run. There were over 20 people appearing on the Summerslam card before her, and she was the first one to actually work like she was in front of a crowd of people. Her trash talking may have been Barry Darsow level of canned ham, but she was doing it and yelling and mugging at the crowd the entire time. She hit a fat dive, made great faces taking shots from Lynch, and got THREE limbs on the ropes during a pinfall. Feels like if The Miz pushed off the ropes with both legs and an arm people would lose their shit. 

5 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Clearly, Drew is moving into main events within the next year, but I think it's too soon now for him to enter the Reigns-Strowman mix. Doesn't mean they won't.

They've teased a big Roman vs Drew confrontation for a while now but I assume they continue the interminable Rollins vs Ziggler feud with some tag matches with Dean and Drew. Perhaps they can build that up into a Shield thing with another partner and spin off to Reigns vs Drew after Survivor Series or so.

From this thread, looks like I would enjoy Joe vs Styles & Ronda vs Alexa quite a bit.

So, Roman is the Ace. And now that Brock is gone, you think he's not gonna be booed again ? Not that it matters, but...

I think Matt kinda summed up what the current WWE was all about though.

The Becky turn feels a lot like when Bayley attacked Sasha,  where turning a natural face on a miscast face didn't fit, and instead the crowd were just happy to see the face finally standing up for themselves. Just have to hope Paige doesn't force Becky to undertake therapy sessions with Charlotte

2 hours ago, El-P said:

From this thread, looks like I would enjoy Joe vs Styles & Ronda vs Alexa quite a bit.

So, Roman is the Ace. And now that Brock is gone, you think he's not gonna be booed again ? Not that it matters, but...

I think Matt kinda summed up what the current WWE was all about though.

Of course he’s going to get booed, especially against Braun.

All in all, I thought this was a good show.  With all the usual hand-wringing about a 7 HOUR SHOW, it was off the air pretty much right at 10:00 CT, and basically a 5 hour show total including the three pre-show matches.  The only thing I felt was too long was the opener.  Didn’t love the finish of the SD tag match.

25 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Of course he’s going to get booed, especially against Braun.

All in all, I thought this was a good show.  With all the usual hand-wringing about a 7 HOUR SHOW, it was off the air pretty much right at 10:00 CT, and basically a 5 hour show total including the three pre-show matches.  The only thing I felt was too long was the opener.  Didn’t love the finish of the SD tag match.

They could trim some fat though. That show held my interest because they actually threw different match styles out there and smartly placed their matches. But that show could have been 3 hours and not much would have been lost. 

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

They could trim some fat though. That show held my interest because they actually threw different match styles out there and smartly placed their matches. But that show could have been 3 hours and not much would have been lost. 

Oh I definitely agree.  Just that of the problems the show had, duration wasn’t a big one.  I liked the Raw squashes being mixed in along with the bigger Smackdown story matches.

1 minute ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Oh I definitely agree.  Just that of the problems the show had, duration wasn’t a big one.  I liked the Raw squashes being mixed in along with the bigger Smackdown story matches.

Takeover felt more bloated overall. 

They did a really good job with those squashes. It made the show feel a little more unpredictable. 

5 hours ago, NotJayTabb said:

The Becky turn feels a lot like when Bayley attacked Sasha,  where turning a natural face on a miscast face didn't fit, and instead the crowd were just happy to see the face finally standing up for themselves. Just have to hope Paige doesn't force Becky to undertake therapy sessions with Charlotte

Becky was a great heel on the indies, based on all accounts. She should be fine playing her role, but good luck trying to get Charlotte to be cheered over her.