Pro Wrestling Only

WWE SUMMERSLAM 2018 THE BIGGEST PARTY OF THE SUMMER

KawadaSmile

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Drew would be a great choice. When people start turning on Ronda, that's a great choice. The thing is, Heyman's track record of helping acts other than Lesnar is pretty bad. Cesaro, Curtis Axel. Not sure if that's down to him or the writing.

A lot of it was that Brock was always around and everyone else just became gatekeepers/stand-ins for him.

44 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Drew would be a great choice. When people start turning on Ronda, that's a great choice. The thing is, Heyman's track record of helping acts other than Lesnar is pretty bad. Cesaro, Curtis Axel. Not sure if that's down to him or the writing.

Drew would actually be perfect to try it with.  I don’t think the fans will turn on Ronda for a while yet.  Hopefully they can get to her as the babyface vs heel Charlotte at Mania.

Cesaro thing was doomed from the start as he was immediately pushed back into a midcard feud with Swagger after being white hot following WM 30.  And honestly Heyman didn't seem interested working a mid card program with Swagger and Zeb so he doesn't get a free pass there

Axel was never going to work.  He just got that spot because he's well liked backstage and Curt was just so well respected they wanted to help out the family

My thoughts on SummerSlam. Real-life issues popped up, so I had to watch the show in bits and pieces. I'm sure that improved my enjoyment exponentially.

Pre-show: The only match I was able to catch was Rusev/Lana vs. Almas/Vega because of aforementioned RL issues. Lukewarm match and a waste of all four. Rusev vs. Almas would be good though.

Seth Rollins vs. Dolph Ziggler: I had no idea which one of them was the champion going into this show, and that's after a pretty decent Iron Man Match last month, which shows you how much I care about them right now. They wrestled the kind of match that's popular these days, and it was good for what they usually do, but this style has never really done much for me. Props for Dolph's tights though.

- I skipped New Day vs. Bludgeon Bros. because I didn't care what happened and I'm ready for Kofi, Big E, and Xavier to branch out into singles while still remaining aligned.

- I skipped Braun vs. KO because this felt like a mismatch and a waste of time. With that said, I was convinced KO was winning because he had a KO in the Bank shirt and they wouldn't make those if he wasn't winning the briefcase, right? I was wrong, and glad to be wrong.

Carmella vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair: Excellent match. Everyone wanted Becky to win, but that was never going to happen because of the story they're telling here. The fans were absolutely brutal, chanting "you deserve it" at Charlotte as she was getting destroyed by Becky post-match. Ouch!

AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe: Easily Joe's best WWE match ever (including NXT), and a nice storyline with AJ's family. I don't like Joe at all, but I'm up for more of this feud - and hopefully a triumphant babyface victory for family man AJ Styles before being attacked by Miz. 

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz: My favorite match of the night, even if the result was heartbreaking (and I love Miz). The reason I liked it so much because they had a fantastic wrestling match without any bullshit garbage spots, flashy shit, kicking out of finishers, etc. that has taken over every other high-profile WWE match.

- I skipped Finn Balor vs. Constable Corbin because who cares? Total time-filler and a waste. 

Jeff Hardy vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: It was okay. Like Rollins-Ziggler, I forgot who was champion going into the match and didn't care. Cool Jeff Hardy facepaint. Did Randy Orton just show up and leave?

Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss: Like Orton before her, did Natalya just show up and leave? Anyway, fun match for what it was. I'm glad they kept it short and gave Rousey a dominant victory. I don't want Rousey's matches to be like this a year from now, but it was fine for her title victory. The hug-a-thon afterward between Rousey and the original Total Divas (Bellas and Nattie) was weird. I was like "they're friends?" about Ronda and the Bellas.

Roman vs. Brock: I haven't gone through this Monster Among Men 22-page thread yet, but I'm guessing I'm the only one who loved Braun being used as a red herring. With only 11 minutes left in the show, I knew there was going to be some fuckery and it would be short and sweet. I didn't mind the match at all. Even though the fans were chanting "you both suck," it felt like they were doing that more out of support for Braun than to be genuine assholes. The right guy won...finally and three years too late. Braun will live to fight - and cash-in - another day.

Overall: I liked SummerSlam more than NXT TakeOver Brooklyn IV. Hot take? Probably, but it's true. Again, I watched in bits and pieces and skipped the matches I wasn't interested in, so that no doubt had a positive effect on my perception of the show.

7 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

I think it could be a little of both.  Certainly the booking can always be looked at, especially in those instances. Vince refused to let either guy get over and do much of anything worthwhile while with Paul. Curtis Axel's "finisher" during that run seemed to be winning matches by count out. That'll put butts in the seats. :P

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Roman vs. Brock: I haven't gone through this Monster Among Men 22-page thread yet, but I'm guessing I'm the only one who loved Braun being used as a red herring.

Not really bubba, the inclusion of Braun was a very smart decision on their part. I loved it, and current storytelling makes it even sweeter.

11 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Not really bubba, the inclusion of Braun was a very smart decision on their part. I loved it, and current storytelling makes it even sweeter.

FECK YOU, JABRONI, I MAKE YOU HUMBLE!!!

Oh wait, you were agreeing with me. Very good, bubba. I no break your leg for Mr. Verne Gagne. 

21 hours ago, Strummer said:

word is Heyman may be sticking around.  Don't know which top guy they could pair him with now.  Roman and Braun obviously seem out of the equation there.  Cant see them putting him with Ronda.  Ambrose heel turn?  Drew Mac after he dumps Dolph?

They should bring back The Dangerous Alliance & give him a whole stable. He could really help some guys.

19 hours ago, C.S. said:

- I skipped Braun vs. KO because this felt like a mismatch and a waste of time. With that said, I was convinced KO was winning because he had a KO in the Bank shirt and they wouldn't make those if he wasn't winning the briefcase, right? I was wrong, and glad to be wrong.

The fake out with having the T-shirts printed up was a little trick Jericho used in the buildup for the Styles match at Mania. They only teamed up to split up, so Jericho wanted people to think they'd be a long-term team by printing merch.

The Y2AJ shirts went on sale, sold 400 or 500 that night, and then the team literally broke up at the first TV after that. Really clever, and exactly the sort of thing that gives Jericho renewed life & longevity again and again.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:38 AM, Mad Dog said:

Whoever lays out Ronda's stuff is doing a really good job of hiding her flaws and her opponent's flaws. Though they need to get her to not call stuff so loud.

That "Are you ready? Let's go!" call might have been the loudest call in WWE history. I liked the announcers trying to save it, though.

I know it defies all logic, but I'm totally okay with Ronda "calling her shots" (spots). Its almost like how in Street Fighter, certain characters would just out-and-out tell you they're about to hit you with a Sonic Boom or a "Haduken." She's so badass, she's going to narrate the ass-kicking she's delivering. It didn't stick out to me partially because it was so blatant.