Pro Wrestling Only

Best years for the following wrestlers?

JRH

Rick Rude - 1992, hands down

Hulk Hogan - 2002, better than any 80s Hogan and you can't tell me otherwise

Jake Roberts - 1985, This one is tougher cos he always sorta sucked, but he did do some decent stuff in Mid-South

Stan Hansen - 1993, tough one for the opposite reason the Jake one is tough, but damn that Kobashi match and that Kawada match rule so much

Rey Mysterio Jr - 1996, dude was so consistent though, you'd get no argument from me if you say 95, 97, 03, 05 or 09

Scott Steiner - 1994, all the non-crazy choices here are right beside each other, 92, 93, 94

Rick Rude - 1992

Stan Hansen - 1994

Rey Mysterio Jr. - 2009. This is a hard one because you could go with any number of years. I'd add 2002 and 2006 to the ones listed above. 

Scott Steiner - 1991

4 hours ago, El McKell said:

Hulk Hogan - 2002, better than any 80s Hogan and you can't tell me otherwise

Interesting pick. The Hogan fans will probably not agree since some people think he was a good wrestler in his prime

I agree with 92 being Rude's best year . Rude career was so interesting . I remember Rude working as a jobber for Watts . Then Jarrett and Lawler got him in the Memphis/ Mid-South talent swap and the rest is history . . I got to watch  Ric Rude develop during his runs in Memphis , Florida , World Class  , JCP , WWF and WCW . One hell of a legacy . It always wondered why Bill Watts could  not see the talent in Rude , while the two Jerry's  gave him a platform to launch a Hall of fame career . 

Rude's 1992 could be up there with the very best years of the top tier GWE winners. He was very good throughout his entire WWF run and even before that, but everything came together during the Dangerous Alliance angle and he was able to have one of those career-defining runs. 

Hogan was consistent throughout his first WWF run, even if he didn't have one single standout year. I'd probably go to bat for 1991 if pressed today. The Desert Storm Match is maybe his very best match as WWF Champion and the previously unreleased Flair match is very good as well. It's not a strong case and I'm sure there's a stronger year somewhere in the 80's.

We tend to focus so immensely on in-ring work that it's easy to overlook Jake Roberts' character work in late 1991, both as a sympathetic babyface who lost his pet and later as a nightmarish heel who will terrorize you with his pets. Black-Glove-Cobra-handler Jake is a heel character unlike almost anything else in wrestling history, to the point where you could compare the run to some of the very best Hollywood villains. It was all over far too quickly, but man, what's there is just pure gold on every level. 

Rey is always on point unless he's recovering from an injury, but I'll take 1996 WCW Cruiserweight Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. as comfort food. 

Hansen had the Bullrope and Cage matches from the feud with Colon in 1987, which should make that year a strong candidate.

92 seems like the sweet spot for the Steiners. Anyone else lucky enough to see 2018 Big Poppa Pump? Not his best era tbh!

15 hours ago, Microstatistics said:

Interesting pick. The Hogan fans will probably not agree since some people think he was a good wrestler in his prime

I'm not anti Hogan, he's pretty decent in the 80s but to me that Mania match with The Rock is his best performance in any match of his career, and the Brock Lesnar match is fucking awesome and nobody ever talks about it. There's also plenty of fun in miscellaneous other stuff he did that year, for example there's a tag match with him and Rock against Lance Storm & Christian that's more enjoyable than you'd probably expect.  

Hogan in the mid-80s is legit one of the greatest ever at manipulating a crowd and getting mileage out of every move. I'd go 1986 since you get the underrated Bundy feud, the great brawls with Savage, and the Orndorff feud with some other fun tags like him and JYD vs the Funks.

I'd go '86 for Hogan as well. About a decade ago I watched almost every Hogan/Savage match I could find and I thought those matches from '86 were all really fun (more have probably surfaced since then as well). The Funk match from SNME at the beginning of the year isn't as good as a couple of their matches from late '85, but it's a fun "greatest hits" sprint. There's also a really cool Kamala match from late in the year where he gigs himself huge and Kamala drinks his blood and stabs him in the face with the Shiv of Quan Chi of whatever such nonsense. I'm a sucker for a spectacle so I absolutely love the Rock match from Wrestlemania 18, but there's more meat in '86 and I'd absolutely say he was a good wrestler that year. 

1992 for Rude. It's one of my favourite single years for a wrestler ever. He was often really good to awesome in multi-man matches in the first half of the year, a huge part of Wargames, has a bunch of really good matches on TV (the Pillman match especially), the Dustin match from Worldwide that's fucking great, and the Ironman with Steamboat that I thought was one of the five best matches WCW ever had. 

Would probably go 1993 for Hansen. He wasn't at his physical peak then, but walking tall Hansen refusing to let go of his place in the world and be passed by the young natives is one of my favourite in-ring characters ever. The Kobashi match is obviously killer, but the Misawa match is great and I'd probably have the Kawada match from February above every All Japan match of the decade bar maybe a couple. 

I agree with peachchaos, 1991 is likely Jake Roberts best year. It'll never be about the matches with Jake, but in 91 you get the full gamut of Jake Roberts (out for revenge for being blinded Jake,  broken hearted looking to avenge his crushed pet Jake, turncoat on Warrior Jake and then the absolutely evil bastard that was trust me Jake in the fall of 91 onwards).

Also agree with Rude's 1992, although I'd say it's more that period from November of 91 to Fall of 92. After that the injuries and his refusal to work/put over certain guys just did him in.

The correct answer for Rude's best year is so obvious as to not even really be worth discussing. A far more difficult and interesting question would be his second-best year. It's almost certainly either 1989 or 1993. The highs in 1989 are higher, but there's also a lot less meat. Other than the Warrior matches, what else is there besides Survivor Series and a couple of matches on SNME? I don't think anything else made tape, and there are no handhelds that I know of. Meanwhile, 1993 featured a bunch of OK-to-decent matches but nothing really earth-shattering.

10 hours ago, El McKell said:

I'm not anti Hogan, he's pretty decent in the 80s but to me that Mania match with The Rock is his best performance in any match of his career, and the Brock Lesnar match is fucking awesome and nobody ever talks about it. There's also plenty of fun in miscellaneous other stuff he did that year, for example there's a tag match with him and Rock against Lance Storm & Christian that's more enjoyable than you'd probably expect.  

I absolutely love the Hogan/Edge v. Billy & Chuck tag title change from 7/4/02, so fun.

I'm not a fan of Rude's WWF work in the slightest. He had one really amazing match with the Warrior and spent the rest of the time in rest holds. I'd rather watch him tag with Manny than sit through any of his WWF matches. The Piper cage match gets mentioned at times but it's not a match I'd bat for. There was one Rude vs. Dustin match from 1993 that I adored but the rest of the series was a letdown. I remember really enjoying the match where the Bossman made his debut. But Rude was a disappointment on PPV that year. It would have been interesting to see how his 1994 would have panned out. Vader vs. Rude would have been intriguing. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know who is a really interesting case for me? Jushin "Thunder" Liger. He's been so good & so consistent over so many years, at least for me, it's hard to just pick one specific year. His body of work is pretty remarkable in that regard. He's obviously slowed down as he's aged but his matches haven't really regressed all that much as he adapted his style over the years. I think of his Super J Cup performances, his WCW run & feud with Brian Pillman, even his semi-recent NXT appearance, not to mention current NJPW work as he still shows up on most big shows. Kind of crazy body of work.

6 hours ago, Coffey said:

You know who is a really interesting case for me? Jushin "Thunder" Liger. He's been so good & so consistent over so many years, at least for me, it's hard to just pick one specific year. His body of work is pretty remarkable in that regard. He's obviously slowed down as he's aged but his matches haven't really regressed all that much as he adapted his style over the years. I think of his Super J Cup performances, his WCW run & feud with Brian Pillman, even his semi-recent NXT appearance, not to mention current NJPW work as he still shows up on most big shows. Kind of crazy body of work.

I'm actually working on an article on Liger and his impressive body of work for PWO