WWE Survivor Series 2018

KawadaSmile

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look, if we hadn't ever seen this match then this would be super compelling.  We've seen it. So far it's a chunk of the initial Cena match and the UT low blow, with a bit of chickenshit stalling to begin. Let's see where it goes from here, but I would have liked to see 5 minutes of Bryan trying to crack the Brock code before the throws started instead.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Look, if we hadn't ever seen this match then this would be super compelling.  We've seen it. So far it's a chunk of the initial Cena match and the UT low blow, with a bit of chickenshit stalling to begin. Let's see where it goes from here, but I would have liked to see 5 minutes of Bryan trying to crack the Brock code before the throws started instead.

Yeah, this was a Brock formula match. A really good one though. I liked how they kept the finisher spamming to a minimum with 2 a piece, which is almost mandatory for any match in WWE at this point. This psycho Bryan run is gonna be awesome.

The match felt somewhat uneven to me. Bryan takes all that damage early on. Brock takes a bunch of nasty knee shots, sure, but they should have focused a bit more on the leg since it was going to play a role in that stretch. One chop block and a slam into the post doesn't mean Brock's leg gives out on him when that's rarely ever happened and relative to the sheer amount of damage in the rest of the match. It wasn't earned when so much else was purchased and just tossed aside. They're creating a world and it's a wildly uneven one. Add in the context of the match before it and the amount of work Charlotte did on Ronda's leg only to basically have her shake it off once in the stretch, and it becomes even more uneven. It's almost impossible to show that sort of attention to detail in a Brock match because the details so rarely matter. That's probably why I get so frustrated; I'm a details guy. I was 100% into whether or not he'd tap at the end, but I can't imagine ever going back to watch this again now that I know whether he did or not. 

Good main event overall, not quite the modern classic I hoped for but expectations management is important. I guess Bryan was only was heel for the initial stalling and the lowblow because the rest of it was usual underdog, white meat babyface Bryan. Brock's commitment to limb selling is amazing and his psychology is still high end. It's just offensively, he is dull aside from one or two moments here and there. On the outside after a Bryan kick, he responds with a great rib kick and a hard knee. He needs to go back to more stuff like that.