Pro Wrestling Only

R.I.P. Dynamite Kid

Blehschmidt

I loved the Bulldogs as a kid. I always had beagles around the house, so when Matilda was dognapped I was one horrified 5 and 1/2 year old. 

Now my most prominent memory is the unintentional humor of Capt Lou and Ozzy Osbourne running around the ring with the tag titles at WM 2 as Dynamite crawled on the mat and tried to put himself together again after taking a flat back bump off the turnbuckles and to the cement floor - which the cameras mostly missed. 

Dynamite Kid was from the era before I became a fan but growing up here in Canada you'd hear from older Stampede fans or fans of the 80's WWF boom talk about what an amazing wrestler Dynamite Kid was.

Not having any footage of him, as a kid I only read about him in old wrestling magazines and  i remember WWF Magazine in 1996 or so ran a feature called "Yo, do you remember" which featured Dynamite Kid in the issue I had. They talked about his legendary ring work and ability along with his physical troubles that led him to leave the WWF(Obviously kayfabing using his real back injury to explain his departure rather than the real Rougeau thing). Finally when I got to see tape of him in the 2000's after reading about him for years I had big expectations and I was still blown away. From then on I spent years collecting and researching everything about him.

Obviously everyone knows and has heard of his actions outside the ring and it should not be disregarded but still as a pure talent in ring he is still one of my favorites and it bums me out to hear he's gone. He obviously suffered a lot health wise and most would say he deserved it so thankfully he's out of whatever pain and suffering he was enduring for his choices. RIP.

Edited by SPS

A difficult man who made some beautiful art. I do wonder if his bitterness in later years stemmed in large part from his body preventing him from practicing his art form (recognizing he wasn't always the best dude even when he could wrestle). But it must feel like a terrible tragedy to believe you are put on the earth to do something and then be unable to do it for the last half of your life.

I guess we'll truly never know if that was the case, Migs. Putting the temperament of Dynamite Kid aside, he definitely inspired a generation of junior heavyweights and proved to them that you could be successful in this business. The only solace we can find in this is that he's now at peace. RIP.

Sad news indeed. As a kid growing up I always heard Benoit in multiple interviews go and go about Dynamite being pound for pound the best wrestler ever, later on through the years thanks to site like youtube and dailymotion helped me saw the greatness that he spoke. May his soul rest in paradise. 

I never saw him on TV growing up, as I didn't start watching wrestling until after he left WWF. I remember as a kid browsing the Coliseum Home Video section of my local video rental store and being surprised to learn that there used to be TWO British Bulldogs!

• 2 weeks later...