Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 35 - Voluntary Colonization

KawadaSmile

Jinder will never "wow" anyone in the ring, but I kinda miss his push. The entrance was incredible, if nothing else. Unfortunately, the pomp and circumstance of his entrance has been significantly toned down since his WWE Title days.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Bollywood celebration he did after winning the title was excellent.

I know the whole Indian expansion didn't work like they thought, but it seems like they blamed him entirely rather than how the fans there didn't bite on their obvious pandering attempt. 

I highly enjoyed Jinder's WWE title run, got great real heel heat. The pop for Corbin's initial cash in was awesome. He's often losing matches on Main Event when he's not on RAW. Sad even a year ago he was winning the US title at Mania.

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

I think, initially, there was some thought that he might've been fed to Reigns when Reigns was going to be the Universal Champion and needed heels to squash. This would've been last year right after Mania. I'm not sure if that was ever actually in the cards, but it did seem like something they might've done to get Reigns cheered...

They did that, just without the title, fed to Reigns at MITB in a pretty solid little 15 min match.

I'm not disputing that Cena would be a better Mania opponent for Angle than Corbin in every way. I mean, that's a no-brainer. But he hasn't been an actively good wrestler in ages.

Anyway, I think a major problem with stories in WWE is that there's simply too much time in between the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. There's only so many ways to say "I don't like you and I'm going to take your title," and even the deepest stories don't need ten weeks of buildup. Combine that with the billion hours of TV time they have to fill each week and you get all the twists and turns they think they need to keep things moving.

It seemed to get worse when they added two PPVs between Rumble and WM, then made the Elimination Chamber the "whatever brand didn't win the Rumble" Mania Match Creator show. 

Other than the winner of the Rumble facing the champ, the rest of the Mania build doesn't even start until after the March PPV.

Wait, the situation has got so fucking bad that some people are actually remembering Jinder Mahal's push "fondly" ? That Indian Guy main event push was god awful and totally flopped on every level. Can't believe it was two years ago though, seems like yesterday, kinda. 

50 minutes ago, El-P said:

Wait, the situation has got so fucking bad that some people are actually remembering Jinder Mahal's push "fondly" ? That Indian Guy main event push was god awful and totally flopped on every level. Can't believe it was two years ago though, seems like yesterday, kinda. 

Replace Jinder Mahal with "Seth Rollins" and welcome to 2019. At least people aren't remembering the Jinder push "fondly" enough to spend two years fantasy booking him as the guy to beat Brock.

I'm hardly a huge Jinder stan. But yeah. Fuck it. He's not even the worst over-pushed guy with a shitty gimmick & poorly defined character on their TV in the last two years.

We've had to suffer through at least three separate attempts to make the Seth Rollins Main Eventer act stick, and it just doesn't. Stoppp ittt. Stop trying to make it a thing. He's atrocious.

I feel like it's a reflection of how much crazy stuff is happening in wrestling now that a Rey Mysterio-Samoa Joe match in front of 70K at Wrestlemania isn't getting more buzz. Rey, a guy years ago I made a post about as being an underrated candidate for GOAT and he's only added to it since then. Samoa Joe, a guy who played so much of a role in keeping my fandom alive in that 04-07 period, so many amazing ROH moments, yes slowed by injuries recently but can certainly bring it on the Mania stage. And with modern WWE, this isn't going to be some 5-minute special, this show is going at least 7 hours so they'll get their 10-15 minutes. What a crazy dream match, if you told me about this ten years ago my head would have exploded.

1 hour ago, Strummer said:

WWE has announced this morning that the Raw women's title match will main event mania:

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/article/wrestlemania-to-feature-first-ever-womens-main-event

looks like they announced it two weeks out to hype it to the media until the show

They should have announced their next Saudi show at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Sean Reedy said:

And with modern WWE, this isn't going to be some 5-minute special, this show is going at least 7 hours so they'll get their 10-15 minutes.

7 hours, 17 matches, they will absolutely still find a way to give some matches the shaft on time. That's what holds back my excitement for it. That and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the 'preshow' portion. Hopefully they do go 10-15 though.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm no Seth Rollins fan, but calling him worse than Jinder Mahal can only be described as Rollins Derangement Syndrome. You know you're out to lunch when the argument for Jinder is that he sucks so much that nobody wants to see him in a main event position again.

What do you call the dumbest guy to graduate medical school?

Doctor.

He's still out there practicing medicine. And some poor souls are still regularly seeing him for all their ailments & issues & diagnoses. He's stupid as shit & probably shouldn't be insured to safely practice his craft, but there he is. Doctorate degree & everything.

Seth Rollins is that joker for professional wrestling. Here he is in main events, on a big stage, having people believe this is what good wrestling looks like. There's a whole herd of people being educated to think this clown is a good wrestler, because his matches have a lot of motion & impact moves. And nothing else really.

Essentially it's, "What if Davey Richards had actually succeeded in convincing the world he was really very good?"

That's Seth Rollins. Mr. Nightmare Fuel himself. Go on & add that to his list of two dozen ridiculously nonsensical nicknames or whateverthefuck.

So yeah. He sucks. Gun to my head and you're asking me to pick between a fourth failed Seth Rollins main event run or a second doomed run for Jinder?

I'm giving Mahal a second shot every time. Maybe I'd even fantasy book him to beat Brock a few times, too.

2 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Should've replaced Seth with Jinder and gave us the Survivor Series 2017 main event that could have been. Two years in the making! Epic storytelling! Long-term booking!

Yes! I was hyped when Jinder delivered the "BEASTMASTER" promo leading in before it got changed. Loved that it at least got brought up again in the lead up to this past year's.

Exactly. It's all in the presentation. A non-finish on the Mania stage would just feel flat in 2019. It's an unnecessary risk that fans COULD potentially view as a cop-out.

There's a way to make Drew look tough and super credible in defeat, and there's no harm in losing to the returning Big Dawg - especially if the announcers, ya know, put in the groundwork to remind the audience that this is the undefeated champ AND the last guy to beat Taker at WrestleMania.

There's definitely a win/win outcome in this match. It just comes down to how they approach it.