Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/01 - 04/08: The Brazilian Military Dictatorship started in April Fools'...

KawadaSmile

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess no one watches John Oliver around here? He went at WWE again

The Roman looks like a pedophile out for a job because he always has wet hair was a horrible punchline for a joke and it's probably what will overshadow anything else on that segment, which made some good points and put light on stuff fans and reporters been saying for long, long time.

I surely hope not, but some people on Twitter/reddit really have a weed up their ass about it. Jim Cornette just said it's "the most absolute truthful outside media piece I've seen on wrestling in 40 years". It's really nothing nobody here already doesn't know, but the interesting thing is that it's finally shouted from a fairly high position. More because this is on YouTube than even HBO. 

Realistically I don't think anything will come from it, but I can appreciate the attempt nonetheless. It's an amazing bit of reporting, and hilarious as well. 

The thing is: despite many good points, he decides to make a horrible joke on the one guy who pushed for better working conditions and has a great locker room status. 

It would be bad as it is with any other wrestler, but comparing a dude who just beat cancer to a pedophile (with the weirdest association I've seen) while using a clip without the proper context is dog shite.

All in all, WWE shouldn't be bothered at all. Roman, on the other hand...

Amazing piece. 

2 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Jim Cornette just said it's "the most absolute truthful outside media piece I've seen on wrestling in 40 years". It's really nothing nobody here already doesn't know, but the interesting thing is that it's finally shouted from a fairly high position. More because this is on YouTube than even HBO. 

Yep. Gotta love the fact he made it clear he was a wrestling fan too. It's nice to hear someone from outside the bubble on those ridiculous matters.

1 hour ago, ...TG said:

I wonder if this is a sign of WWE's growing respectability that Oliver finds them important enough to devote an entire segment to them? He only has 30 minutes or so a week, and there are actual important things to talk about.

I kinda wondered if there was a fan or two on his writing team or something because this isn't the first time he's gone after them.

14 minutes ago, FMKK said:

I kinda wondered if there was a fan or two on his writing team or something because this isn't the first time he's gone after them.

Probably something like that. Of course the Saudi thing and Linda being part of the Trump administration isn't going to endear them to anyone on that show too.

It's always a funny thing to see wrestling fans (who normally complain that mainstream media ignores the real issues in wrestling like the independent contractor BS) turn around and attack any mainstream media outlet that dares to bring up the real issues in wrestling. 

I hope you're right. With Reigns last year, there was an undeniable sense of "just get on with it," that Roman was the hand-picked successor to Cena and that it was time to just pull the trigger and move on. 

I don't feel that way about this year. Part of it is because the other World Title matches are already doing "childhood dream/underdog" stories that feel way more real and special. Part of it is because the Lesnar Experiment is like one of those jokes that was funny was at first, then less funny, and is now funny again. Like, at first I loved him as dominant champ who is only around for big shows, then it got stale, now it is so ludicrous that they gave him the title again in 2018 (and buried Strowman to do it) that I like it again and want to see him keep the title again at Mania. 

The last part is because I just don't like Rollins.