Pro Wrestling Only

The mOveZ Appreciation Thread

El-P

Because storytelling can be overrated and actually an excuse for dreadful matches

Because selling doesn't always get in a way of a good car crash

Because a dive sequence with a million flips can be fun as fuck

Because we all popped for a stupid, nonsensical, dumb-as-fuck matches with a zillion of great cool spots

This is time to have fun with it. Yes, pro-wrestling does not have to be a Rocky movie. It can also be an orgy of incredible cool spots, insane bumps and jaw-dropping pure action sequences.

There you go, you favourites of that special kind go there.

1 hour ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

The three way at MSG for the Junior title. No slow periods just all action with a crazy double fall away slam from the top by Bandido.

That along with the Mania ME was my pick for the match of Mania weekend.

I think the Do Fixxer vs. Blood Generation match from Supercard of Honor 2006 is the pinnacle of movez for me. A 20 minute spotfest of absolute insanity that nevr over-stayed its welcome yet left me wanting more.

Speaking of Dragon Gate, I love Masaaki Mochizuki and BxB Hulk, two guys who will throw kicks for days leg selling be damned.

9 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

That along with the Mania ME was my pick for the match of Mania weekend.

I think the Do Fixxer vs. Blood Generation match from Supercard of Honor 2006 is the pinnacle of movez for me. A 20 minute spotfest of absolute insanity that nevr over-stayed its welcome yet left me wanting more.

Speaking of Dragon Gate, I love Masaaki Mochizuki and BxB Hulk, two guys who will throw kicks for days leg selling be damned.

I haven't seen Do Fixxer vs. Blood Generation in ages. I remember being in a state of amazement thinking "this is the greatest thing I've ever seen".

Is there a specific match between Hulk/Mochizuki you can recommend? 

Young Bucks have a truckload of super fun spotfests from PWG - practically any of their straight up tag team matches, plus all their 6/8 man tags along with their fellow Mount Rushmore mates.

The Candice/Joey blow-off is pure joy. The tag against Jack Evans & Angelico is fucking wild. Ditto for their match against Trevor Lee & Andrew Everett. The three way with the Super Smash Bros & Dojo Bros is tremendous. And on & on.

There's another Everett match (after his return to PWG following the injury absence) with either Swann or Ricochet. I *believe* there was also a tag in the DDT4 with Lee & Everett vs. Inner City Machine Guns, which is why I can't recall off the top of my head who he faced in that singles.

I want to say it was Swann though. I just remember it being bonkers with a frantic finishing sequence.

I need to go back and watch some of that stuff now that we're talking about it.

EDIT: Yeah. The tag happened at DDT4 in 2015, and then the singles was Swann/Everett at Threemendous.

12 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

I haven't seen Do Fixxer vs. Blood Generation in ages. I remember being in a state of amazement thinking "this is the greatest thing I've ever seen".

Is there a specific match between Hulk/Mochizuki you can recommend? 

They had a really good one in the 2017 King of Gate.

14 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

The three way at MSG for the Junior title. No slow periods just all action with a crazy double fall away slam from the top by Bandido.

Forgot about that one. Yeah, awesome match. That Bandido spot was insane.

The Fenix vs Pentagon short match from Wrestlecon was like the best 5 mn spotfest you could wish for.

Roddy Strong vs Brian Cage in the opener @ PWG Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll is an all-time personal favorite for me. Just a high-energy, fast-paced, supreme sprint from bell to bell.

It came as a great setup for the Strong turn & title push that followed, but yeah. It was basically just a nuclear bombfest with both guys going balls to the wall. Roddy peacocking & flexing with his strikes and throws on a guy the size of Cage was stupendous.

13 hours ago, El-P said:

Forgot about that one. Yeah, awesome match. That Bandido spot was insane.

The Fenix vs Pentagon short match from Wrestlecon was like the best 5 mn spotfest you could wish for.

Fenix-Pentagon was a good one (they've had so many good matches together really). Lee-Cavernario and Ospreay-Bandido on that same card were really great as well.

The main event of All In is another one that stands out and is probably the best match I've ever seen live.

The Miz vs. Sylvain Grenier is a perfect example of pure sports-entertainment and everything I look for in a match. Real wrestlers who can tell a story where every move actually means something.

Okay, you guys, I'm totally trolling. :D Dunno if that's even a real match.

My REAL answer:

ROH Supercard of Honor II

Dragon Gate Match - CIMA, Shingo, and Susumu Yokosuka vs. Dragon Kid, Ryo Saito, and Masaaki Mochizuki

If you want "movez," holy shit, these two teams put on a spectacle that makes Cirque du Soleil look tame! 

That insane BJ Whitmer-Jimmy Jacobs cage match was on the same show. Would that also qualify?

I saw both live, but haven't seen either since. Quite possibly the best live show I've ever attended, mainly on the strength of those two matches.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

ROH Supercard of Honor II

Dragon Gate Match - CIMA, Shingo, and Susumu Yokosuka vs. Dragon Kid, Ryo Saito, and Masaaki Mochizuki

If you want "movez," holy shit, these two teams put on a spectacle that makes Cirque du Soleil look tame! 

That's basically a Toryumon JAPAN/Dragon Gate showcase match.

They had much faster paced matches there.

If you liked that, then you need to watch some of those crazy mutliman matches from Toryumon JAPAN. Those are much better.

48 minutes ago, Edwin said:

If you liked that, then you need to watch some of those crazy mutliman matches from Toryumon JAPAN. Those are much better.

Any specific recommendations?

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

Any specific recommendations?

I was Google searching for them, but I couldn't find them quickly, but:

M2K vs. Italian Connection vs. Do FIXER vs. Crazy MAX - 4/1/2003
Crazy MAX vs. M2K vs. Do FIXER - 7/7/2002
Do FIXER vs. M2K vs. Crazy MAX - 7/14/2002

Those 3 would be a good starting point.

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

I don't doubt there are better matches out there.

I think, for me, what made it so special was seeing that spectacle live, in person, and up close.

There's something about tapes that just can't replicate that experience. 

I love most Kurt Angle's matches. I know some people don't like them because he's too go go go and don't find he's a smart wrestler. But, you see, I love them because he does a lot of german suplexes, belly to belly suplexes, ankle locks, angle slams and even sometimes a moonsault. I love even more Chris Benoit's matches because he has a moveset I love : german suplex, diving headbutt, knife edge chop etc. Therefore, it's logical that I love the matches between Angle and Benoit between 2001 and 2003 as well as those between Angle and Lesnar in 2003. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy matches that have a great psychology. But I value the moveset too.

For this thread I think the entire Dragon Lee vs Kamatachi/Hiromu Takahashi series deserves a mention. There's been more cool dangerous athletic spots in those matches than anything I've seen in recent memory.

I also want to mention the one Fenix and Pentagon spot where Fenix jumps onto Pentagon's shoulders and then backflips to the outside, craziest spot I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone back to revisit Lucha Underground, and the Drago vs Pentagon Jr. vs Fenix match from the third episode is the first awe inspiring moment in the series. Really cool to see the Lucha Bros back before they were the big attraction they are today. Say what you want, but although LU was not a public success and probably will never get a closure, it really was a vehicule for some of the hottest young talent of today. And the production and approach will still look way ahead of its time in the years to come.