Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/29 - 05/05 Bolsonaro's strategy is worse than Jon Snow's

KawadaSmile

10 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Check out their employee review page on Glassdoor sometime if you ever want a good laugh. Be cautious of the good reviews -- someone pointed out that their HR department was making fake profiles to balance out the bad reviews by talking about what a great place WWE is to work.

Sounds like fun. Funny, I did not even know about that website until a few days ago when I checked a company's name before sending a resume. Well, I ended up not sending my resume after all.:lol:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how this mentality bleeds into what we watch on TV. There was a time when you had people in the company who were clearly slotted as opening match acts, but weren't constantly demeaned in how they were presented as mere opening match acts. The B-Team and Heath Slater are presented as people who don't know their place instead of having some other defining characteristic that's at the center of who they are and how they're presented. That doesn't mean everyone's a headliner. It means that every role on the show is cultivated to matter in its own way.

I don't even think it was all about character development, I think Loss was alluding to the fact that WWE nowadays goes out of their way to make the opening acts seem laughable.  Like basically telling the audience they suck and are just lucky to be on the show at all.  Heath, B Team, even R Truth (in the past at least) to an extent are portrayed as incapable bumbling morons who can't get out of their own way and the announcers laughing at them for it.  Yes not everyone can be a big star but you don't have to tell your audience that directly

Roman said on twitter he would be appearing on Raw because he had "unfinished business" but he was denied from appearing on the show by the McMahons.  So it looks like another way to push the Roman v the Authority storyline.

Roman is surely going to "invade" Raw on Monday I guess

building to Roman v Shane?

I'm sure the thought is the crowds won't boo him if he's feuding with the McMahons.  It's probably leading to Roman getting the title before the Fox debut

maybe with the ratings down they will go back to the "loose" brand split where it technically still exists but they have a bunch of crossover without really explaining it

At this stage, why bother with the brand split? It's clearly not working IMO. You're decimating divisions to replenish a certain show. One set of tag team titles would be enough. One women's title would be enough, especially with the recent introduction of Women's tag titles. The suggestion earlier this week of rotating talents through story arcs should've been the way to go since day 1. Hell, I'll go one further: either some talents work TVs one week or house shows. By doing that, I think that 1) you're giving them time to rest as well by diminishing their workload and 2) some of those main event guys can become special attractions the way Hogan did in the 80s when he rarely worked a TV match other than SNME. Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio should be special attractions at this stage of their career.

I think the brand split is fine in theory but they really screwed everything up with their choices this year. They straight up just need more matches on TV. They're averaging 9 matches over 5 hours of TV weekly. That's ridiculous. They have this huge roster and most of them go weeks with no screen time. 

18 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

At this stage, why bother with the brand split? It's clearly not working IMO.

It NEVER works. It never fucking works. And they keep doing it. It's fucking stupid. It's always been stupid. It always will be stupid. And it will never work. And it pisses me off, honestly, when people try to defend it. "This jobber that doesn't get TV time would get more chances!" Who gives a fuck? Half the roster could be fired and no one would even notice. If a non fan asks you who is the champ, you can't even answer without explaining the stupid shit. "Well, there's two 'brands', and each brand has a champion, and..."

It was dumb the first time. It was dumb the second time. Now this is the third time, right? Still sucks. Still stupid. Still bad. Just history repeating itself. We'll get more irrelevant titles, more unification matches that no one gives a piss about, a bunch of filler TV with half-assed rosters & arbitrary rules that WWE breaks whenever they want anyway.

It's terrible & just leads to more bad TV. 

Main Event can achieve the same thing. I agree that midcarders should have one show where they can shine and eventually climb the ladder and get a bigger push. But splitting the rosters just for the sake of creating competition (because, you know, Vince has made a monopoly of the business) when you can't properly execute that is useless.

3 hours ago, Strummer said:

WWE cancelled SD's house show on Monday so SD stars could appear on Raw to help build MITB. Looks like a reaction to bad ratings as well

PWI

Yes! That's going to solve the systemic and institutionalized problems. Bringing over Roman Reigns, Charlotte, and others over to Raw and thoroughly, yet again, negate the brand split. I am not sure how WWE hasn't figured out that putting all the eggs in the basket of a few may be all well and good when considering the historical curve of pro wrestling history, but that doesn't mean a promoting should ignore adding and having a depth to everyone else outside of the main event picture. It is insane to think the same man who headed The Attitude Era and the mid-to-late 80s boom doesn't understand that the mid-card need needs to have personalities.

Yeah, how often did Al Snow win from 1998-2000 but he was still over. Even a stupid tag team like Headcheese got over because they got screen time and weren't buried. 

They need to start rolling with things that get over. Look at Rusev Day. They broke it up just as a fuck you to the fans for liking it. That's why no one watches, they make you feel stupid for getting invested in something they don't approve of. 

In all the fuss over people mad at Lio's claims of not getting paid well on the main roster, it kind of flew under the radar that Ricochet had to run a GoFundMe to help his mom out after her house got damaged. 

The idea behind the brand split is fine (it should reduce overexposure of guys being on TV 2+ times per week and give guys room to grow), it's mostly the execution that's shitty. When they did the initial brand split on 02 they managed to create different identities for the brands (whether by accident or on purpose), Raw was Hunter's Sports-Entertainment brand, Smackdown was the workrate brand (due to the Smackdown Six). They also managed to do single-brand PPVs that did not feel like third rate shows. Now it's just an abitrary split where some guys mostly appear on Raw while the other mostly appear on Smackdown. Due to the huge amount of titles the (multi-brand) PPVs are just one title match after another.